This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Portal 2 - Mark spoilers appropriately!

Comments

• Not if you don't want to play console games, play PC games, play board games, play handheld games, play role playing games, see panels, see concerts, see events, meet new people, network, or present. Then there's nothing to do but wait in line in the Expo Hall (or sing karaoke, or hang out in the jam room, or hit room parties...)
    Man, PAX east needs more things to do.
  • Man, PAX east needs more things to do.
    We're working on that. ;^)
  • they could obviously see that PAX was not a small convention and there was a TON of other things to do.
    Not if you don't want to play console games, play PC games, play board games, play handheld games, play role playing games, see panels, see concerts, see events, meet new people, network, or present. Then there's nothing to do but wait in line in the Expo Hall (or sing karaoke, or hang out in the jam room, or hit room parties...)
    That was pretty much my attitude. I did want to try out Duke Nukem Forever, even though I'm going to end up buying it anyway, just for the hell of it. However, when I heard the wait was on the order of hours, I was like "screw that." I would've waited maybe 15-30 minutes, tops, but not a couple of hours.
  • I have it preordered. I sort of want to play it right now, instead of a week from now.

Stupid linear time.
    RPG room? Artist alley? Arcade with modern games and DDR machines? Pony rides?
    RPG room? Artist alley? Arcade with modern games and DDR machines? Pony rides?
    Pegacorn rides.
  • Unicorn pegasi are properly called Alicorn.
    This may be true, but Pegacorn just sounds so much cooler.
    Yeah, we learned that in another thread. Don't care.
  • edited April 2011
    So, it turns out the Portal 2 ARG might be hinting at Portal 2 Releasing early - this Friday the fifteenth kinda early - challenging everything we have ever known about Valve time.

It seems odd, but Kotaku does make the point - the last time valve went this far to fuck with people(Last time including things like morse code radio transmissions and Slow Scan TV images encoded as audio, which you could get by picking up radios in game, and moving them to specific positions, as the opening move of the game), there was a portal 2 announcement waiting at the end.

Oh, I almost forgot - You can now pre-load Portal 2 in preparation for release day, whichever one that may be.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'm looking for a partner to do co-op with. My friends are poor or don't like Portal so I am in need of a fellow robot for the co-op goodness. Anyone? =D
  • One interesting thing about Portal 2 is that the PS3 version will include Steam. This means that if you purchase the PS3 version, you also get a free license for the Mac and Windows versions via your Steam account. You'll also be able to play against Mac and PC users and use Steam cloud saving.
  • That was announced after I already preordered on steam and about a month before I bought my PS3. pwned.
  • One interesting thing about Portal 2 is that the PS3 version will include Steam. This means that if you purchase the PS3 version, you also get a free license for the Mac and Windows versions via your Steam account. You'll also be able to play against Mac and PC users and use Steam cloud saving.
    O rly? Plus on Amazon, I believe you get it for $5 off, and a future $20 credit towards future Amazon purchases.

Hmmmmmm....
  • I'm looking for a partner to do co-op with. My friends are poor or don't like Portal so I am in need of a fellow robot for the co-op goodness. Anyone? =D
    Yeahmaybe, we'll see how we go.
  • I saw some people talking on Twitter about buying Portal 2 for PS3 and just selling the disc, but keeping the Steam key. I got an email from Valve yesterday describing the key 2-in-1 deal, and although it was a bit vauge, it sounds like you need to link your PSN and Steam accounts and show that you have Portal 2 on PS3 before your Steam version will activate. You should still be able to sell this PS3 disc, but just make sure you actually OWN a PS3 if you are planning to pull this buy-and-flip deal. You may need one to actually activate the Steam copy.
  • I saw some people talking on Twitter about buying Portal 2 for PS3 and just selling the disc, but keeping the Steam key. I got an email from Valve yesterday describing the key 2-in-1 deal, and although it was a bit vauge, it sounds like you need to link your PSN and Steam accounts and show that you have Portal 2 on PS3 before your Steam version will activate. You should still be able to sell this PS3 disc, but just make sure you actually OWN a PS3 if you are planning to pull this buy-and-flip deal. You may need one to actually activate the Steam copy.
    I doubt it would be so easy. I bet the PS3 version will disable the Steam key if it is ever linked with a different PSN account.
  • I'm getting the PS3 version. $10 for the console version is worth it for me, because I find it more relaxing to play on a couch, and I suspect Portal is a game that can be played with dual analogs. But then if it isn't I've still got the Steam version.
  • I'm getting the PS3 version. $10 for the console version is worth it for me, because I find it more relaxing to play on a couch, and I suspect Portal is a game that can be played with dual analogs. But then if it isn't I've still got the Steam version.
    Portal 1 for the PS3 used dual analogs, so I'd be surprised if 2 didn't.
  • edited April 2011
    How the steam keys work is a big issue to me; I'm personally hoping that it's simply "Here's the disc, and a key, to play on PS3, put the disc in and login with your steam account".

Here's what I did: I bought Portal 2 on Steam on Valentines day, having already pre-ordered it for PS3. I've got a younger brother, and I figured that I'd give him my extra extra key from the PS3 box. I hope that is still the case: I can put in my PS3 disc, login with my PC-authorized steam account, and play.

Luckily, I have a fallback plan: Play on the PC, authorize my brother's account on the PS3, then delete it, throw out the disc, and never buy anything from Sony again.
    Post edited by GauntletWizard on
  • Mans, that did not exist when I preordered, and it makes me sad. It looks like my plan is broken. I am going to save the $15, cancel the PS3 preorder, and buy him a steam copy instead.
  • Would you like to know More?
    You can't tease me like that!
    Not Starship Troopers :(
  • The clues pile now, now including a valve owned countdown clock that points to tomorrow - 15th of April Nine AM, for you guys, considering that was three hours ago for me, it'll be the 20th here - For something related to portal 2, which has been strongly hinted at being the real release date, including the pretty blatant clue which was decoded from emails originating from Gabens account, saying 4/19/2011_7AM=4/15/2011_9AM (The former date/time being the official release date, the latter being tomorrow, US time.)

Curiouser and Curiouser.
  • Man I hope so. I am looking forward to some 3 diamensional brain puzzling action.
  • I wonder if the early release date would apply to the ps3 version as well.
  • edited April 2011
    I wonder if the early release date would apply to the ps3 version as well.
    Doubtful - unless somehow they managed to keep all of the stores they were selling it in very quiet, and made sure none of them broke street date better than any developer ever has.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited April 2011
    This is looking like some pretty definitive proof that Portal 2 will be unlocking early. Or at least something big is gonna happen. How exciting!
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Im getting the good version. You know. For the xbox. I can't wait till tuesday!!!
  • Im getting the good version. You know. For the xbox. I can't wait till tuesday!!!
    Yeah, that's the shit version. PC only KTHX.