This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Portal 2 - Mark spoilers appropriately!

Comments

• I'm actually becoming less and less interested in Portal 2 the more people talk about it like it's the second coming of Christ.

Fucking fanboys.
  • I don't have much of a problem with it, cuz it's good that people buy/play indie games. And I'm glad Steam exists to bring indie games to a wider audience.
  • Don't get me wrong. I am happy for the devs and I'm glad Steam does what they do. I just feel like it was kind of a cheap bait and switch, is all.
  • Ya think? 'swhy I didn't buy a damned thing.
    I didn't buy anything either. Still irritated.
    I did - but I would have anyway, because I wanted most of those games, and it was saving a little under thirty bucks - because the small few I didn't want as much didn't exceed the savings. While I'm opposed to the cheap bait and switch, I'm not so prideful as to let that cost me roughly 30 bucks.
  • edited April 2011
    My main problem is that I actually buy these games in packs and deals and such. Then when they come around with a new deal, I already have half the games. The other half are games I don't want, or am unwilling to pay for.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Woooooo my key showed up. My brain's hype center was squarely focused on the Game of Thrones premiere, but now that it has passed, I am looking forward to Portal 2 100%.
  • You have to be sure it absolutely is, you can't forget the "It's just a game" component. One woman signed up to an ARG sort of thing, and they fooled her a little too well, because she successfully sued them for essentially stalking her and freaking her right the fuck out.
    Yeah I read Cracked too...
  • Why would you be irritated that a company tried a creative way of selling you something? Are you mad at them, or mad at yourself for becoming emotionally invested in a complicated ad campaign? You aren't owed free entertainment or an early Portal 2 release. Besides, the games in that pack are all pretty good. Fucking valve, how dare they try and sell me their quality products at a massive discount by appealing to my analytical mind instead of hooting at me for 30 seconds on the radio like everyone else. Unconscionable!
  • Oh god, Gamemasters says we're actually 25 mintues BEHIND the scheduled release.
  • Oh god, Gamemasters says we're actually 25 mintues BEHIND the scheduled release.
    I know it won't happen, but that would be hilarious if they delayed the game.
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah I read Cracked too...
    I see you're a clever one, who thinks that he's cracked it - sorry no. ARGN, boyo, they're right there with the breaking ARG news. Cracked was MONTHS late, I'm assuming - They usually are, to carry on a fine tradition of when they were a little, failing rip-off of something more popular - Getting information from cracked is like getting your music charts from a top 40 charts of the 1980s CD. It's good enough for you, I suppose, but I prefer to get news about things I'm interested in much faster than "Months late, if ever."
    Why would you be irritated that a company tried a creative way of selling you something? Are you mad at them, or mad at yourself for becoming emotionally invested in a complicated ad campaign? You aren't owed free entertainment or an early Portal 2 release. Besides, the games in that pack are all pretty good. Fucking valve, how dare they try and sell me their quality products at a massive discount by appealing to my analytical mind instead of hooting at me for 30 seconds on the radio like everyone else. Unconscionable!
    Because it was a cheap bait and switch. Essentially, because they set out doing one thing, and then did it poorly. IF they had done this after they tied it all up as an addendum to the game, instead of the final stroke of the game, it would have been no problem - It's not about it being a marketing gimmick to sell something - Many of the best ARGs are explicitly that - it's about making an excellent effort and then just going "Eh, fuck it, whatever, buy some games" at the end.

Nobody said an early release was what HAD to happen, or that anyone was entitled to it. But if they're going to start a game and pull players into it, said players are entitled to at least an effort towards a satisfactory wrap-up of the story. To borrow Scott's example, what's happened is this: You're a player in the game, and it's been weeks of figuring out tricky clues, decoding cyphers, figuring out puzzles filled with obscure information, and You get a message from a mystery man that says you have to head to Penn Station at 3 o'clock. You actually go to Penn Station and you get a phone call. On the other end of the phone is a man who tells you "Hey. You should Buy season 2 of Burn Notice on DVD. Thanks for playing the game, congratulations on solving the puzzle!" and then hanging up. That's it. Game over. The story doesn't wrap, there is nothing further, the game just cuts off with with someone telling you outright to buy something and that the game is over.

Or, to put it another way, if your Girlfriend invites you over for a shag, then you get there and it's some giant, hairy guy from west country who you find physically repulsive, who is interested in repeatedly violating you with his enormous bearcock, are you just going to go "Eh, Whatever, I'm having sex, it's good enough"? By your own logic, you're getting sex anyway, so you can't complain. Goddamnit, girlfriend, how dare you offer sex without being specific about whom it shall be with. You're not entitled to Sex from who you please, or to not have free sex with Mr Bearcock. Hey, Sex is often pretty good! Goddamn girlfriend, how dare you engage my libido instead of just submitting a written proposal. Unconscionable!
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited April 2011
    Check it out - it looks like GLaDOS is eating the potatoes or something. You can watch the number fall. Looking like an overclock is imminent.
    10:50 - Engaging starch-based power cells
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • Nine active test subjects. Here's one.
  • There are nine active test subjects now.
  • edited April 2011
    Oh, looks like it's rolling out to the people who put in the most power, eh? Still, too late.

I also want to point out that every time I've looked at the official countdown page Killing Floor has always had the most active CPUs. Yet it has much much slower progress than any of the others. What's up with that?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • It seems that different games have different rates of progress; I think Valve based it on the total sales figures for those games. Killing Floor sold the most copies by far, so its progress rate per CPU was much slower.
  • The Potato is a lie. lulzlulz
  • Oh, looks like it's rolling out to the people who put in the most power, eh?
    No. The 9 test subjects are the players who were "infected" by GLaDOS, and they've all been flown to Valve HQ to play Portal 2.
    No. The 9 test subjects are the players who were "infected" by GLaDOS, and they've all been flown to Valve HQ to play Portal 2.
    How was that determined? Contest? Randomly?
    How was that determined? Contest? Randomly?
    I think they were key solvers in the ARG.
  • I think they were key solvers in the ARG.
    They were/are, yes.
  • edited April 2011
    It's looking like it's going to be released in approximately six hours. A semi-reasonable time of night for us west coasters, but probably way too late for the rest of you. HAH!
    Post edited by Sail on
  • It's looking like it's going to be released in approximately six hours. A semi-reasonable time of night for us west coasters, but probably way too late for the rest of you. HAH!
    Yeah. I'll be waiting to buy the game until Thursday. Fucking West-Coast-is-Best-Coast bastards.
  • edited April 2011
    It's looking like it's going to be released in approximately six hours. A semi-reasonable time of night for us west coasters, but probably way too late for the rest of you. HAH!
    Let's see, four hours, twenty minutes, that means it comes out at 5 PM here, and I have a free evening to do nothing but drink rum and play portal two. Awwww yeah for the East Coast Of Australia. USA east coast is the beast coast, US west coast is the best coast outside of Australia, suckas!

EDIT - Though, some games are close to complete, and the Potato overclock is getting some games going pretty fast, with each full bar under the overclock knocking off about an hour twenty. So, You never know.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah, I'm thinking it'll be unlocked within the next couple of hours since those games are so close to being completed.

My friend Elise and I are planning on starting the co-op first thing when it gets released.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah, I'm thinking it'll be unlocked within the next couple of hours since those games are so close to being completed.

My friend Elise and I are planning on starting the co-op first thing when it gets released.
    True that - Looking to be less than 20 mins till Killing floor and SMB are finished, Then it's only defense grid and amnesia left, which have been going (relatively) fast all day.

As for co-op, depends who on my friends list is on, we'll see how we go.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'm going to have to decide between Portal 2 and sleep when I get home from uni. I'm angling towards sleep, since I haven't slept for around 24 hours already.