This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Portal 2 - Mark spoilers appropriately!

Comments

• Technically, the PS3 version is the best, by way of it including the PC version.
  • Technically, the PS3 version is the best, by way of it including the PC version.
    Nope. It costs more money and includes a useless Playstation disc to throw in the trash.
    Nope. It costs more money and includes a useless Playstation disc to throw in the trash.
    Unless you own a playstation and $10 is not a terribly large sum of money for you to part with.
  • There's a possibility that only people participating in the ARG (i.e., people with potatoes) will get Portal 2 early.
  • There's a possibility that only people participating in the ARG (i.e., people with potatoes) will get Portal 2 early.
    That's true, which would be some bullshit right there, since the only way to get potatoes is by buying a bunch of extra games, and the only one that doesn't involve buying a game doesn't work anymore - which would not be a good idea, since ARG players hate few things more than "Congratulations for finishing the game! Too bad you get nothing because you didn't buy a bunch of stuff from us."
  • edited April 2011
    If you play one of the thirteen games in the "Potato Sack" you can help release Portal 2 early.

http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/
    Post edited by Gundampilotspaz on
  • If you play one of the thirteen games in the "Potato Sack" you can help release Portal 2 early.

If you already own one of the games, does it still apply?
    You can buy it on Amazon with a $20 credit, lowering your purchase price to $35, then sell the disc to some jerk and maybe recoup another $20. Worst case scenario, I bet even Gamestop would give you $20 for it.
  • I bought the two-pack on Steam. Who wants to give me $40 for the second copy?
  • If you already own one of the games, does it still apply?
    Yes, it applies - but only for that game, naturally.
  • Does anyone want/need Portal 1? I seem to have two extra copies.
  • Is Portal 2 going to be difficult? Portal 1 was way too easy. If it's possible to play Portal 2 without dying or failing most levels at least once, I'm not so interested. If it takes actual skill and intelligence to play, I'll buy it for 40 dollars.
  • Is Portal 2 going to be difficult?
    The remains to be seen. I mean, the game hasn't even been released yet. ;-) I'm sure the forum will let you know once data starts coming in.
  • edited April 2011
    Does anyone want/need Portal 1? I seem to have two extra copies.
    Because you would have gotten a free copy of portal 1 with both of your portal 2 pre-orders, even if you gifted the second copy of portal 2 to someone else.
    Is Portal 2 going to be difficult?
    While we can't say till it's released, it seems it may be - they've introduced a number of extra game-play mechanics(three gels, lasers, redirecting lasers, redirectable laser bridges, redirectable tractor beams, spherical objects and receptacles, suction pipes), tweaked the physics, and on top of the singleplayer, you have the co-op which can only be played through with another player. Of course, on top of that, they have a few more years of experience with what you can do with the portal tech(Both from their own development, and from players pushing the limits of the tech with user generated content), and a few updates to the source engine and it's capabilities. Also, much longer ranging airtime/flinging puzzles have been shown
    Post edited by Churba on
  • If you play one of the thirteen games in the "Potato Sack" you can help release Portal 2 early.

If you already own one of the games, does it still apply?
    I assume so, it would suck if they made people buy the bundle.
  • Is Portal 2 going to be difficult? Portal 1 was way too easy. If it's possible to play Portal 2 without dying or failing most levels at least once, I'm not so interested. If it takes actual skill and intelligence to play, I'll buy it for 40 dollars.
    The challenges in Portal 1 were still tricky, though.
  • I found the execution aspects far more challenging than the puzzle aspect, but I'm very good at that whole spacial relation thing in the first place. My artist friends and I tend to be very good at Portal.
  • I found the execution aspects far more challenging than the puzzle aspect
    I found both trivial. What I really want is a very challenging first person platformer with the portal gun, with more exploration along with the puzzles. Trickier puzzles would be nice, but something less on rails would be more suited to my tastes.

Then again, the story in Portal 1 is one of the aspects that make it such a classic, and if it was more open it wouldn't be so strong.
  • Join this group to get a potato added to your profile, which adds to the "Auxiliary Power" count on the Aperture Science site.
  • edited April 2011
    Join this group to get a potato added to your profile, which adds to the "Auxiliary Power" count on the Aperture Science site.
    I'm pretty sure that only works if you have at least one game from the Potato Sack.

Edit - Yeah, it seems so after a little bit of checking - No potato sack pack games, No potato for you.

Double-edit - Potato sack games pack is the following: Drop that beat like an ugly baby, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, Amnesia, Audiosurf, bit trip beat, Cogs, Defense Grid, killing floor, Rush, Super meat boy, The Ball, The wonderful end of the world, and Toki Tori.
    Between all of those, 90%-ish of the forum regulars will get a potato. Also, any potatoes you get by playing the game count towards the auxilliary power total, too - you can find out how to get them at the Potato Fools day wiki, if you don't feel like just playing till they appear.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Join this group to get a potato added to your profile, which adds to the "Auxiliary Power" count on the Aperture Science site.
    I'm pretty sure that only works if you have at least one game from the Potato Sack.

Edit - Yeah, it seems so after a little bit of checking - No potato sack pack games, No potato for you.
    What if I bought some potato sack games awhile ago? Like Meat boy?
  • Awh. Still, I think most people here have at LEAST one of those games by now. If not, they should all go buy Super Meat Boy.
  • What if I bought some potato sack games awhile ago? Like Meat boy?
    It works, I didn't buy the pack, but I have a lot of those games and still got a potato.
  • A new Steam Avatar to go with my potato.
  • Do I actually have to play games to contribute, or can I just leave meat boy open?
  • edited April 2011
    Also, I don't think this is actually working. The countdown timer is going at a rate of one second per second. Could just be a trick.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Also, I don't think this is actually working. The countdown timer is going at a rate of one second per second. Could just be a trick.
    I might be something like timer is for the actual release time, but if people fill the bar it releases early.
  • The countdown timer is counting down to the official release date. It's unrelated to the progress bars.
  • edited April 2011
    Do I actually have to play games to contribute, or can I just leave meat boy open?
    I've heard it only counts if you play the game, but that might actually mean that it only works when Steam detects controller input. You may be able to make it count by taping a thumbstick down, or finding some way to have your computer automatically press a key over and over again.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited April 2011
    Also, I don't think this is actually working. The countdown timer is going at a rate of one second per second. Could just be a trick.
    08:57 - Default boot scheduled to finish in 85:45:38
    Some useful stats here

Yes, idling your game will work. The confusion came from the fact that your time doesn't count until you quit the game.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on