This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Portal 2 - Mark spoilers appropriately!

Comments

• Anyone else read the Lab Rat comic? I really liked the art, but the writing seemed kind of mediocre.
  • I really liked the art, but the writing seemed kind of mediocre.
    That's pretty much how I feel about all of Valve's comics. Style over substance.
  • edited April 2011
    Ladies and gentlemen, the Aperture Science Inflatable Vertical Banking Propulsion Surface:
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • Just remember, SPACE is the new The cake is a lie. You are now as funny as anyone who has played portal.
  • Just remember, SPACE is the new The cake is a lie. You are now as funny as anyone who has played portal.
  • Things I've discovered while playing the game:
    -Aperture Science is apparently in the upper peninsula of Michigan. (See the newspaper in the first lobby of the Cave Johnson section)
    -If you look at the last "Bring your daughter to work day" display (the one with the huge potato,) Chell's name is written on it.
  • edited April 2011
    -second thing
    WHOA. Did not notice that. The plot thickens. Can't wait to play the game on commentary.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited April 2011
    Things I've discovered while playing the game:
    You're correct on the first point - They have facilities there(The main facillity) and in Clevland, Ohio according to the canon.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • So, I have now
    • All the voice over work
    • All the menu videos
    • All the videos that show up on the screen near the lifts
    • All the music
    • All the sound effects
    • All the other videos (ending scenes, the ones in the extras menu, etc)
    Who wants what?
  • Favorite line:
    Dad, I'm in space! (I am proud of you, son.) Dad, are you space? (Yes, now we are a family again.)
  • Do you want that?
  • Who wants what?
    There are extra Sounds in the game, those would be interesting. Stuff that doesn't appear in the game.
  • Do you want that?
    I do
  • Hold on, I'm gonna package up all the dialog and other voices and upload it someplace.

Meanwhile, SPAAACE!
  • That clip should have ended with the space core quietly saying "space" just to tick off the Adventure Core.
  • I would love all the sounds, please. :-D
    Who wants what?
  • Link to zipped Voice over files.
    That clip should have ended with the space core quietly saying "space" just to tick off the Adventure Core.
    Yeah, I think I'll change that.
  • space

Meanwhile, SPAAACE!
    Spheres that insist on going to space are inferior to those who do not. Fact, there is no space.
  • Ok, my memory is probably just fucked up, but I gotta ask this.

It seems everywhere I look, the name of the main character in Portal is Chell, with a redacted last name. (It's probably Freeman or something like that.)

However, I have a distinct, probably wrong, memory of her name being something different in Portal 1. I remember a part where GlaD0S refers to the player having a very Chinese name like "subject wong xie" or something like that.
  • owever, I have a distinct, probably wrong, memory of her name being something different in Portal 1. I remember a part where GlaD0S refers to the player having a very Chinese name like "subject wong xie" or something like that.
    Nope, she's always been Chell.
  • owever, I have a distinct, probably wrong, memory of her name being something different in Portal 1. I remember a part where GlaD0S refers to the player having a very Chinese name like "subject wong xie" or something like that.
    Nope, she's always been Chell.
    Great, now I have to listen to all the Portal 1 dialog again.
  • edited April 2011
    However, I have a distinct, probably wrong, memory of her name being something different in Portal 1. I remember a part where GlaD0S refers to the player having a very Chinese name like "subject wong xie" or something like that.
    She isn't referred to by name in either game, only by other terms, usually "You". Her name was only found out from the credits of Portal 1 and in the game files. Save yourself the listening.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • with a redacted last name.
    Whitetext:I'm actually pretty sure it's Johnson. The lyrics of the operatic song in the end are very indicitive of a mother/daughter relationship between GlaDOS and Chell, bringing to rise the theory that Chell is Cave's and Caroline's daughter.And, yeah, it's pretty much always been Chell. Dunno where you got Wong Xie.
  • Whitetext
    That theory is pretty flimsy, and hinges on a few small details and some big assumptions. It's not disprovable, but there is less of a clear line to it without big logical leaps than I'd like.
  • Ok, I figured out where I fucked up.

Skip to 3:19

She says "Unbelievable! You [subject name here], must be the pride of [subject hometown here]."

However, the "here" sounds more like "hie" and I didn't make out the words "name" and "hometown" when I actually played the game. Youtube transcript is the only way I solved this.
  • This is all Galndalfs Girthing anyway.
  • I'm pretty sure GLaDOS is telling the truth that Chell is adopted, which could mean that she is not necessarily Cave and Caroline's daughter, but a girl Caroline adopted - possibly a test subject that the scientists grew too fond of to keep using until the "Forced Voluntary Testing Initiative" was adopted.
  • I'm pretty sure GLaDOS is telling the truth that Chell is adopted, which could mean
    No. Chell is the daughter of two scientists who was...enrolled as a test subject when she was brought to Aperture Science during the bring your child to work day (remember all the science fair projects). That also happened to be the day when GLaDOS unleashed the nerve gas on all the scientists.
  • edited April 2011
    I'm pretty sure GLaDOS is telling the truth that Chell is adopted, which could mean
    That's True. The only certainties are that She's adopted - Glados speaks of this after she becomes friendly to you, and after she's had the Caroline personality rise again to the fore - and that she's Very likely the adopted daughter of an Aperture science employee or employees, and was likely present on Bring your daughter to work day, where she was captured during GLaDOS's becoming self aware.

EDIT - also, non-spoiler mostly - Those leg-springs from the first game she has? They're called advanced Knee Replacements, and they're essentially big shock absorbers implanted DIRECTLY INTO HER KNEES. Not even kidding, you can see that much on clipboards in the game.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • EDIT - also, non-spoiler mostly - Those leg-springs from the first game she has? They're called advanced Knee Replacements, and they're essentially big shock absorbers implanted DIRECTLY INTO HER KNEES. Not even kidding, you can see that much on clipboards in the game.
    You mean these?