This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Portal 2 - Mark spoilers appropriately!

Comments

• Imagine the possibilities!!
    I wanna start making some really weird shit that takes advantage of world portals, which were mentioned in the developers' commentary and are demonstrated in this video:

Hypercube.
  • Non-euclidean arena deathmatch, very yes.
  • So, I was playing the co-op with Viga, and it was interesting. It seems like a lot of the puzzles were easy, but it was frustrating at the same time, because often one of us would get it instantly and see what needed to be done, and we were trying to coax the other into executing it, without being able to tell the other person exactly what we wanted them to do. A lot of it was us pinging at things, trying to get the other person to PUT THE FUCKING PORTAL THERE SO THE LASER GOES THROUGH IT AND HITS EVERYTHING IT NEEDS TO, GOD.
  • Get a mic, dood.
  • Get a mic, dood.
  • Worst case scenario, just press T to type.
  • Just in case someone here lives under a rock and hasn't seen this yet (plus cross-post from TotD into the appropriate thread)
  • So, now that the Perpetual Testing Inititive has launched, anyone play some good community levels? It seems like right now, the opinion is that Mevious has the best levels available.
  • So, now that the Perpetual Testing Inititive has launched, anyone play some good community levels? It seems like right now, the opinion is that Mevious has the best levels available.
    I was not aware it launched.
  • I played a bit last night, and Mevious is pretty much where it's at. He's got some really challenging (and fair) levels. I had forgotten what it was like to experience Portal levels for the first time!
    I was not aware it launched.
    Yesterday. I was busy playing Dredmor at the time, though.

It basically fixes the one problem I had with Portal and Portal 2: That there was a finite number of levels.
  • Might give it a shot then. After the portal prelude thing, I thought the community had given up on the puzzle side of things in favour of the gymnastics.
  • edited May 2012
    Might give it a shot then. After the portal prelude thing, I thought the community had given up on the puzzle side of things in favour of the gymnastics.
    I was cautious about that as well. I didn't play any gymnastics levels last night, but I'm sure some exist. Basically, I think the solution is to encourage everyone to thumbs-down all the gymnastics levels and thumbs-up all the challenging and interesting puzzle levels.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • It's weird to walk in to a level knowing there's no GameFAQ for it.
  • Well, gymastics levels can be good too. A proper Portal level has both. Not only do you need to figure out that you need to make a crazy jump, you also need to make the crazy jump.
  • edited May 2012
    Hey now, gymnastics were something that I missed from the original game in Portal 2. This is a chance for many to fill the void for something that was left out of the sequel. That's totally legitimate. Downvote a chamber if it's bad, but don't just because it requires you to double-fling.

My ideal Portal chamber would be one that requires both problem-solving and an element of execution once you figure it out.

[Edit] Ninja'd by Scott.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Also want to add, people hating on gymnastics levels probably suck at FPS. Get some skillz punks!
  • Also want to add, people hating on gymnastics levels probably suck at FPS. Get some skillz punks!
    I can do pretty much any gymnastics level I saw, and I have some shitty K:D ratio in CS:S. Gymnastics levels don't even require that much FPSan.
  • Hey now, gymnastics were something that I missed from the original game in Portal 2. This is a chance for many to fill the void for something that was left out of the sequel. That's totally legitimate. Downvote a chamber if it's bad, but don't just because it requires you to double-fling.
    Bad gymnastics levels require way more than a double-fling. Portal 1's levels were great! I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about community-made maps that don't seem to demonstrate that the creator understands the point of Portal.
  • edited May 2012
    Sitting in a test chamber for over a minute trying to work out how to complete it only to realise it's not Valve made level, and, as such, you are going to find yourself in situations where the only way out is to restart.

The gymnastics had pretty much outlived it's welcome by that tall area full of turrets.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Some of these are really hard. Have I just become stupider, or are some of, say, Mervious's maps nearly impossible?
  • Some of these are really hard. Have I just become stupider, or are some of, say, Mervious's maps nearly impossible?
    I'm not sure. It might be of the "Nearly impossible" variety, they're often popular. One of the most popular portal mods was "Portal: Prelude", and that shit was excruciatingly difficult. This was not a case of arrogance and "Get some FPS skills punk!", this is a case of "Fuck you, fuck you, I hope to kill you via a frustration induced heart attack, and finally, fuck you."

Haven't played all of them yet, but I have finished all of Mevious's maps that I have played. I marked them in my favorites for you.

Yes, they're damn hard, but they're possible and very fun (once you figure it out, that is).
  • DAMN those guys make some hard chambers. Haven't solved any yet.
  • edited May 2012
    DAMN those guys make some hard chambers. Haven't solved any yet.
    If you want a good series of chambers, check out "12 Angry Tests". It's actually got a story (mostly implied through things that happen), and some funny moments at the end, a la Portal 2's story.

Fuck, it even ends with an indie (ish) rock song.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • I tried 12 Angry tests because it was the highest rated. Stuck on #3 or 4.
  • Hang on a second, I managed most of Mevious's maps no problem. I'll give the angry ones a go.
  • Hang on a second, I managed most of Mevious's maps no problem. I'll give the angry ones a go.
    Mev's are about 10 times harder than 12 Angry Tests. I never felt like I was intentionally given too little to work with in any of those tests.
  • edited May 2012
    I did quit out of the two that I couldn't complete without resetting but other than that I thought they were all pretty straightforward. A couple I did in a single run-through.
    Post edited by Omnutia on