This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nintendo 3DS

Comments

• I'd like one since I don't even carry around my DS anyway and I'd like the bigger screen.
    Yeah. With iPhones etc no-one carries around a DS anymore (in general), unless they are super into one game that they can't put down or need to finish. If I was going to play 3D games, 99% of the time it would be on the couch or in bed. So if I WAS going to get a 3DS... It would be that one.

I love the design of it. Very smooth.

• edited June 2012
    Agreed with the last two posts. I'm getting one as soon as it comes out.

Everyone else holding off on the 3DS might as well go ahead and pick one up, though. This is the revision that they were waiting for, and it won't rock their socks.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • I'll get on eventually. Maybe this Christmas if they make a special edition one like they did with Zelda last year.
  • edited June 2012
    I don't really consider my iPhone a viable alternative to a DS for portable gaming. Angry Birds is fun, but it doesn't keep my attention like a DS or 3DS game does.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • edited June 2012
    Yeah I don't play any games on my phone except for chess occasionally. Most games on the phone are games that are like 5 minute attention grabbers. That being said I don't really take my DS anywhere but since I have to take the bus every day now I might consider it. I still just don't really trust the R4 cards for the 3DS yet. Also DS games are so small that Nintendo should just throw a hard drive in the 3DS and let you download games from the wifi. I would buy one in a heartbeat then.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • They're doing that, starting in August with the new Mario game.
  • Do you mean the 3ds virtual console?
  • No, I mean that retail games are going to be available as downloads.
  • It seems like they already did it, but I have nothing to back that up with.
  • edited June 2012
    Damn, better get a fat memory card.

At least they don't cost as much as the Sony proprietary bullshit memory on the Vita.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Damn, better get a fat memory card.

At least they don't cost as much as the Sony proprietary bullshit memory on the Vita.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're just straight-up SD Cards, aren't they?
  • Damn, better get a fat memory card.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're just straight-up SD Cards, aren't they?
    Indeed
  • Yeah, they're SD cards. But I have about 30 things installed on my 3DS and I've only used about 20% of the included SD card, so.
  • I imagine a full game will be bigger.
  • edited June 2012
    Yeah, but the point is that this is like a 2GB SD card and it would be incredibly cheap and easy to triple or even octuple the amount of storage I have.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Yeah. 16GB SD cards are cheaper than I thought they would be. XD
    16GB MicroSDs are super cheap, and then the adapter to make it a regular SD card is cheap as well.
  • edited June 2012
    I have an 8 GB microSD, but surprisingly it is compatible with very few devices even with the adapter. Haven't tried it with my 3DS, though.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Hmm...Interesting.
  • well shit, maybe ill consider getting a 3ds in the near future.
  • I have an 8 GB microSD, but surprisingly it is compatible with very few devices even with the adapter. Haven't tried it with my 3DS, though.
    I have used a micro sd adapted with my friend's DSi, so I can't see why it wouldn't work for the 3DS
  • edited July 2012
    Pre-ordered my 3DS XL today.

Time to jump in, that is a nice looking piece of tech. They seem to have addressed almost every complaint with the original, save the 2nd stick.

Since I never take my DS anywhere anymore, the form factor will be an asset, not a liability.

I'll pick up Mario 3D land and Paper Mario shortly after (I'm a HUGE Paper Mario fan) and then just see how I go from there.

$200 US is pretty good. I was expecting it to cost more.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • Along with checking the Wii-U, the 3DS titles you can check out at the Nintendo booth at PAX, look interesting.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/8/28/3273881/nintendo-pax-prime-wii-u-3ds-xl
  • Really digging Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. Only good if you like tap-based music games and FF music, though.
  • For the record, the PS Vita is now just as old as the 3DS was when it got its famous "Oh shit. We are fucked. Here's a price drop and sorry about the launch" speech from Nintendo. Vita is barely selling half as much as the 3DS at that juncture, so Sony must be REALLY fucked. 3DS went on to double its lifetime sales within a month of that announcement and hasn't looked back. I don't see the same thing happening for Sony.
  • I'm considering getting a 3DS now that I have ~$160 in gift cards for Amazon. My Supercard DSTWO is supposed to work with it, so I might not even buy a single game, seeing as I'm a poor, filthy pirate. Trying to pick a color now.
  • I'm considering getting a 3DS now that I have ~$160 in gift cards for Amazon. My Supercard DSTWO is supposed to work with it, so I might not even buy a single game, seeing as I'm a poor, filthy pirate. Trying to pick a color now.
    Doesn't work in 3DS mode, just DS mode, bro.
  • edited August 2012
    I'm considering getting a 3DS now that I have ~$160 in gift cards for Amazon. My Supercard DSTWO is supposed to work with it, so I might not even buy a single game, seeing as I'm a poor, filthy pirate. Trying to pick a color now.
    What? Fuck this then.

I'm not going to pay for games after buying a console for only a little bit less than they payed to make it.
    Post edited by Ikatono on
    What? Fuck this then.

I'm not going to pay for games after buying a console for only a little bit less than they payed to make it.
    Please elaborate?

• edited August 2012
    Had my 3DS XL for a week now. the 3D is STUNNING. That top screen... so big... so colourful.

Nintendo got it right this iteration. Nice price too.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • edited August 2012
    Harmo Knight is a side-scrolling rhythm game from Game Freak and looks fantastic. Want.

Post edited by Sail on