This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nintendo 3DS

Comments

• I wish I had an XL, the Zelda 3DS that I have is small and for some games annoying to use with my big hands.
  • I thought the same at first, but the XL isn't that heavy and the larger screen comes in handy for games like Layton.
  • There's no piracy cards that operate in 3DS mode, at least when I checked a few months ago. The Cyclo will work on the 3DS in DSi mode, though. Again, at least last I checked.
    Oh! Apparently my Acekard 2i will work on 3DS as long as I update its firmware and do not update the 3DS firmware too much.

http://www.acekard.com/news.php

But will GBA roms work? I'll probably just keep my piracy card in my DS Lite to be safe.
    I believe the AceKard can only do GBA ROMS if there's a slot 2 thingy in?
  • There's no piracy cards that operate in 3DS mode, at least when I checked a few months ago. The Cyclo will work on the 3DS in DSi mode, though. Again, at least last I checked.
    Oh! Apparently my Acekard 2i will work on 3DS as long as I update its firmware and do not update the 3DS firmware too much.

But will GBA roms work? I'll probably just keep my piracy card in my DS Lite to be safe.
    Yes, I have that slot 2 thingy. Which is why I was curious as to what would happen on a DS without the slot.
  • I'm not really considering it, but the fact that PS Vita has/will get Guacamelee and Luftrausers makes it kind of tempting. 3DS doesn't really get as many indies, does it?

Yes, I have that slot 2 thingy. Which is why I was curious as to what would happen on a DS without the slot.
    You can't do shit, unless you have a Cyclo, I think. Whichever's the one that has a built-in processor for the emulation.
  • I'm not really considering it, but the fact that PS Vita has/will get Guacamelee and Luftrausers makes it kind of tempting. 3DS doesn't really get as many indies, does it?
    Little to none. The Vita install base is so shockingly small that I'm surprised anyone will make a game for it, but equally shocking is how for the first time in their history, Sony is doing something seriously right by roping in all of the indies.
  • I can't imagine getting an XL. It seems huge.
    I thought so too, now I can't imagine using anything else, the screen is gorgeous, not Vita OLED screen gorgeous, but great looking nonetheless. =w=;

It actually does. The Switch Force games, Mutant Mudds, Gunman Clive, there are more notable ones but I don't have the eShop open in front of me. It's also supposed to get the Binding of Isaac remake.
  • edited April 2013
    I took one look at the two of them side by side and imagined the exact opposite.
    I'm not really considering it, but the fact that PS Vita has/will get Guacamelee and Luftrausers makes it kind of tempting. 3DS doesn't really get as many indies, does it?
    Vita is going to get Spelunky too which would be sweet. Honestly though owning both systems I like them both and I have my reasons and large amounts of expendable cash. But I wouldn't really recommend the Vita to someone unless you have a strong desire to get one. It might get way better with the PS4 if they play their cards right but right now I wouldn't really bother unless you want effectively a portable original playstation console that also plays PSP games.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I can't imagine getting an XL. It seems huge.
    I can because I mostly use the DS before going to bed, so the bigger size will be beneficial and not detrimental. I do wish they would release a 3DS lite, though.
    That's me. Evenings and bed. Screens are fantastic. I treat it as a console.

• FYI: The 3DS is the 3DS Lite.
  • Yeah. The OG 3DS is already pretty "lite."
  • I don't mean Lite as in smaller. I mean lite as in the 2nd gen superior hardware. Just like the top loading NES.
  • well you can't play non (3)ds games so you don't need to worry about which screen it loads on.
  • I don't mean Lite as in smaller. I mean lite as in the 2nd gen superior hardware. Just like the top loading NES.
    That's not going to happen any time soon with them having to do an early price cut.
  • Noooo Why can't Earthbound be on 3DS...VC
    I don't mind it because I can play it on the Wii U pad. Punch Out in it is pretty amazing.
    Actually all games on it are pretty amazing. I can't wait for Deus Ex Machina Human Revolution for the Wii U

• I'm pretty stoked for 30 cent super metroid as I surprisingly haven't played it.

Also not sure why I read top loader as screen loader. But yeah they definitely aren't going to release a new 3ds for at least a year or so.
  • I'm pretty stoked for 30 cent super metroid as I surprisingly haven't played it.

Also not sure why I read top loader as screen loader. But yeah they definitely aren't going to release a new 3ds for at least a year or so.
    You haven't played Super Metroid?! You should probably check the plots of Metroid 1 and 2 first. Also, best game ever.
  • I'm pretty sure Metroid 2 is on the 3DS eShop as well. I've never played that, and may grab it at some point.
  • I'm pretty sure Metroid 2 is on the 3DS eShop as well. I've never played that, and may grab it at some point.
    Metroid II is amazing, but different from other Metroids. The deal is that after beating Mother Brain you leave Planet Zebes and go to SR388 where the Metroids live. You know how many Metroids exist, and you are going to exterminate them all. You still explore and find secrets and get the familiar items, but there is one difference. There is lava that kills you, and the varia suit is far away. To make the lava recede you have to kill all the Metroids. Then when there is an earthquake, you can go deeper to where there are more metroids and repeat.

Also, the Metroids you meet are not the typical cute ones. They are evolved one. You fight every evolutionary stage of Metroid life. As you go deeper the Metroids become more evolved and dangerous. The ending leads directly into Super Metroid.
  • Metroid 2 looks like a pretty epic game, I am gonna go ahead and download it from the Nintendo eShop for the 3DS when I get home and just disappear myself for the weekend.
  • Metroid 2 was actually a really big deal when it came out. Nintendo promoted it like crazy. TV commercials and everything. Maybe it should have been on my list of games I like that nobody talks about.
  • I do wish they would release a 3DS lite, though.
    The announcement is scheduled for 2 weeks after you buy your 3DS.
  • I had Metroid 2 on my Game Boy but I might have been a little young to really grasp what I was doing. The game gave you like no direction, you just sort of wandered. It also seemed difficult to discover new paths and some of the platforming was really challenging. Then again probably the last time I played that game I was 8 or so. Might grab that for some nostalgia as well.
  • I had Metroid 2 on my Game Boy but I might have been a little young to really grasp what I was doing. The game gave you like no direction, you just sort of wandered. It also seemed difficult to discover new paths and some of the platforming was really challenging. Then again probably the last time I played that game I was 8 or so. Might grab that for some nostalgia as well.
    I first played Metroid II in the orthodontist's office. It does feel like you are lost because it is a game about dead ends. You have to find and destroy every possible Metroid that you can currently access before the dead end will open and let you hit the next dead end. If you do not realize this, you will wander back and forth through the same areas and feel completely trapped.
  • Man, I just want Metroid Fusion/Zero Mission. I bought the original Metroid on the virtual console and man, them memories don't hold up well.
  • Man, I just want Metroid Fusion/Zero Mission. I bought the original Metroid on the virtual console and man, them memories don't hold up well.
    Original Metroid is still good, it's just obviously not as polished as Metroid ][+
  • Just preordered Shin Megami Tensei IV. I really can't wait for this title to drop.
    Original Metroid is still good, it's just obviously not as polished as Metroid ][+
    I don't like original Metroid, never also actually played it all the way through. Every time I try there is a point where it becomes more frustrating than fun and I stop. Sure it's impressive for an NES game and I have respect towards it, but it just isn't fun to play.