This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nintendo 3DS

Comments

• In the past.
    The first one.
  • Nintendo Plans to Extend StreetPass Network
    Nintendo has revealed its plan to extend the StreetPass Network, in a bid to increase its popularity outside of Japan.

StreetPass allows users to automatically exchange game data between 3DS consoles in Sleep Mode, when they come into close proximity. StreetPass is popular in densely-populated Japan, but Nintendo feels its yet to achieve the same degree of popularity in America and Europe. Fewer people in these territories use StreetPass on a daily basis.

In its E3 Analyst Briefing, Nintendo reveal its plan to release more software that takes advantage of StreetPass functionality, and in a bid to increase its popularity in the West, it's planning on using public Wi-Fi access points – such as those in Starbucks and McDonald's – to provide 28,000 Wi-Fi access points in the US and 24,000 in Europe.

"This will involve taking a Nintendo 3DS system in Sleep Mode to an access point which will then connect automatically and send StreetPass data to a server. At the same time, the Nintendo 3DS system also receives the StreetPass data of another user from the server. In this setting, data is not exchanged directly, but rather through a StreetPass relay station."

"Previously the StreetPass feature required multiple Nintendo 3DS systems in Sleep Mode to be in the same location at the same time, but in this framework, you can exchange data with others by visiting the same location even at a different time, so we can certainly expect the use rate of the StreetPass feature to grow significantly."

Nintendo says this software update will roll out sometime later this year. No dates were confirmed.
    This will be awesome for the Happy Home Showcase (exchange home & player data).
    That is very cool for users who live in BFE to be able to get more StreetPasses that aren't able to get as many as people who live in cities or go to conventions.
  • I went to my local Best Buy on Sunday to get the Animal Crossing stuff and they are not a participating store :(
  • As someone who doesn't play Animal Crossing, but does bike past the Nintendo store every day on my way home, are there any goodies to get by Street Passing there?
  • If you care about the Streetpass Mii Plaza stuff or Spotpass notes, yes. Otherwise, specific games will let you know if there's Stresspass/Spotpass benefits. This is just cool because it means instead of just Streetpassing people you pass, you can now also Streetpass people who Spotpassed at the same spot as you, even at a different time.
  • As someone who doesn't play Animal Crossing, but does bike past the Nintendo store every day on my way home, are there any goodies to get by Street Passing there?
    Not really, no.

• Wonder what street pass will bring to Pokemon?

Trainer card I guess. Be cool to be able to challenge them online.

Like, I met you in real life and I'll challenge you later, online.
    You can beat Find Mii and Find Mii 2 in addition to collecting the panels.
  • Please add me too! 4398-9309-8686
  • edited July 2013
    Planning a trip to the Nintendo World Store this Saturday. Anyone up for getting lunch and exchanging street passes?

We are going Saturday because 'someone' in my house heard there was going to be some sort of Animal Crossing event.

Edit: the event is Friday 6-8PM... Hmmmm.... While I am off on Friday not sure about entering the city via train at that time of day. Would be leaving Brewster North around 4...
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I bought a DRM download-only game on 3DS.

Picross e!

DAT PICROSS
  • Whu-what? I need to find this game.

Get Pushmo! You know you want to. Cute sumo guy solving the puzzles. Shit is dope.
  • Just left Nintendo world store and only got 4 street passes? WTF???
  • Mario and Luigi comes out this week.
  • Mario and Luigi comes out this week.
    Already pre-ordered.

• edited July 2013
    Mario and Luigi comes out this week.
    Already pre-ordered.

Pre-ordering on Amazon now. Moving from wish list to cart.

Amazon says Mario & Luigi comes out August 11th.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited July 2013
    Oh lame I was looking at the European release date, Aus also gets this week. Yeah I guess it's not out until Aug 11.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Oh lame I was looking at the European release date, Aus also gets this week. Yeah I guess it's not out until Aug 11.
    Well, if it wasn't region locked I could pick it up in AUS.
  • I can wait for this game. Too much animals to cross.
  • The animal crossing has slowed down a lot. Usually because I don't play that game until I go to bed and there are other handheld games I've been playing through. Namely Persona 4 which I'm still chugging along on.
  • I just picked up Project X Zone, the crazy crossover between Namco, Capcom, and Sega, and so far it is quite fun. Only a few hours in, and it's not too challenging, but a well done crossover is a rare treat, and so far that is what this is. FF Tactics-esque grid combat that turns into 2D button mashing fighter is far more fun than it has any right to be, in no small part due to the fantastic sprite work. Not for everybody, perhaps, but I'm definitely enjoying it.
  • I just picked up Project X Zone, the crazy crossover between Namco, Capcom, and Sega, and so far it is quite fun. Only a few hours in, and it's not too challenging, but a well done crossover is a rare treat, and so far that is what this is. FF Tactics-esque grid combat that turns into 2D button mashing fighter is far more fun than it has any right to be, in no small part due to the fantastic sprite work. Not for everybody, perhaps, but I'm definitely enjoying it.
    I'm loving the gameplay, but the story is completely batshit insane.

• I was interested but I have a feeling it's just going to not make any sense.
    Kingdom Hearts makes more sense than the story in Project X Zone.

Kingdom Hearts makes more sense than the story in Project X Zone.

That's impressively bad storywriting, then.
  • Ive heard it pokes fun at how nonsensical it can be at times but there's dumb things that occur like them always being surprised when they transition into a new dimension. Also I heard that many of the "bosses" have almost 0 motivation for assaulting you.
  • Ive heard it pokes fun at how nonsensical it can be at times but there's dumb things that occur like them always being surprised when they transition into a new dimension. Also I heard that many of the "bosses" have almost 0 motivation for assaulting you.
    It does poke fun, but there really isn't much motivation for much of anything in the story besides "hey, let's try this. Maybe this will get us back."
    That's impressively bad storywriting, then.
    It really is, they tried to put most of the universes together and that's the biggest short coming storywise. If you think about the logistics of the world at all, it really falls apart. At least with Kingdom Hearts, they kept most of the Disney characters confined to their own area.

• I hear if you register both Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei 4 in Club Nintendo you get 30 eShop dollars.
  • I hear if you register both Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei 4 in Club Nintendo you get 30 eShop dollars.
    You heard correctly.

Speaking of Club Nintendo... I keep forgetting to register and do my surveys and end up missing platinum rewards every year.

• I went platinum in 2010, then saved up all my registrations for this year and will have platinum again. Just waiting to find out what the reward is.

I didn't realize that w/ eShop purchases, the game is automatically registered, and you have a fairly short fuse (around 3 weeks) to go in and do the product registration survey, then 5 or 6 weeks after that to do the post-play survey. I missed out on a bunch of eShop registration coins, but I'll live.

Looking back at my account history I've let about 400 points worth of surveys expire on me, but that's not too bad considering I've gotten 2 platinums out of the deal.