This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX Prime 2010

Comments

• edited August 2010
    For people who are bringing tabletop games to PAX, I have just one recommendation, keep it small. You do not want to carry that big heavy shit around with you. Also, games that can be played on the floor while waiting in line are double plus good, so also keep it short and without many small pieces. This is not the occasion for Samurai Swords(Shogun). However, if you drive to PAX, you can have a bigger game in your car, then bring it to tabletop at a pre-arranged hour. Even so, it's a better idea to just check those kinds of games out of the tabletop library. People probably won't wait for you to go to your car/hotel and get a game.

If you really want to play a big game your best bet is to do it in a hotel lobby before/after PAX.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I'm off Thursday through Tuesday. I'm down for hanging out on Thursday, when I'm not doing Enforcer type things.
    We should play games on Thursday.
    May I be so bold as to tag along? I'd love a crack at FreeMarket and I'll probably be in Ro' general vicinity doing enforcer set up type things. =D
  • edited August 2010
    My car will be parked in the convention center garage, so I can store my crap there.

I can also store stuff in an Enforcer only storage area so that's convenient as well.

I'm trying to figure out a better way to bring Dixit. You really don't need the box, just the cards and paper to keep score. You don't really need the bunny-shaped game pieces.
    May I be so bold as to tag along? I'd love a crack at FreeMarket and I'll probably be in Ro' general vicinity doing enforcer set up type things. =D
    Sure. You'll probably see me around on Thursday.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I'll try to keep an eye out. I've only seen your profile pic so I have limited Ro knowledge with which to operate. ^__^ I'll be staying theknoxinator Tuesday night who said he'd probably kick my ass out so I'm going to be helping all day until my coworkers arrive and then we are checking into our hotel. From there? Shenanigans.
  • Wouldn't mind jumping in on games myself if people are meeting up. I am staying .5 miles north of PAX cause I was able to score a room under $100 per night, but I plan on grabbing my pass from registration on Thursday night and then hitting up the lobbies to see if there are games happening.

Couldn't agree more about not wanting to carry around a big game. At PAX itself all you need is maybe a card game and a DS.

Ro, repackaging card games is always a smart idea. Not sure how many cards are in Dixit but check your local comic/card/hobby shop. They should have boxes ranging from deck sized to ones that can fit hundreds.
  • Since my car is a bit on the heavy side for constant carrying, I'll probably be wheeling around a small suitcase with me through out the con. On that note, you can count on me bringing apples to apples and maybe CashFlow 101.
  • Since my car is a bit on the heavy side for constant carrying, I'll probably be wheeling around a small suitcase with me through out the con. On that note, you can count on me bringing apples to apples and maybe CashFlow 101.
    You really want to do that, dude? I know you are into DJing and all but this sounds like a huge pain in the ass to wheel a suitcase around. Just take a step back and think about it. You don't need to bring the fun to PAX. PAX is the fun.
  • edited August 2010
    Since my car is a bit on the heavy side for constant carrying, I'll probably be wheeling around a small suitcase with me through out the con. On that note, you can count on me bringing apples to apples and maybe CashFlow 101.
    You really want to do that, dude? I know you are into DJing and all but this sounds like a huge pain in the ass to wheel a suitcase around. Just take a step back and think about it. You don't need to bring the fun to PAX. PAX is the fun.
    What does this have to do with DJ-ing? I'm not bringing speakers to PAX.

Oh, wait, I think I know where you might have gotten confused. When I said car, I meant my RC car. And it's not a pain in the ass at all; I bring it to school all the time. I usually carry it in my backpack, but since this weekend will be focused on just relaxing and having a good time, a rolling suitcase would be more convenient.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Oh, wait, I think I know where you might have gotten confused. When I said car, I meant my RC car. And it's not a pain in the ass at all; I bring it to school all the time. I usually carry it in my backpack, but since this weekend will be focused on just relaxing and having a good time, a rolling suitcase would be more convenient.
    I can tell you right now, the suitcase will be nothing but a burden. Even a messenger back is a burden. You will be moving around A LOT. You will not use most of the stuff in that suitcase. It will just get in your way, and the way of others.
  • Even a messenger back is a burden.
    PAX East, I carried the Marantz and my laptop for interviews and streaming.

This year, I'm carrying at best the Flip camera and maybe the Marantz some of the time.
  • If anyone is hosting panels late Friday, Anytime Satuday, or Sunday morning or Afternoon, I'd be happy to fill any time you have before the panel commences with some DJ-ing. Just email me and let me know.
    I thought this meant you would be toting around DJ equipment. Replace DJ with RC. Still a bad idea.
  • edited August 2010
    If anyone is hosting panels late Friday, Anytime Satuday, or Sunday morning or Afternoon, I'd be happy to fill any time you have before the panel commences with some DJ-ing. Just email me and let me know.
    I thought this meant you would be toting around DJ equipment. Replace DJ with RC. Still a bad idea.
    Carry...My DJ equipment... Heh, That's real funny. I'll post a picture of my setup sometime.

Alright, well, I'll have to see what the situation is at PAX and figure out what would be the best way to carry my RC car when I want to use it. If it's anything like Anime Expo, I should be fine. In any event, we'll see.
  • Can someone going to PAX go to the Microsoft booth and try out the new 360 controller? They say they've fixed the D-pad, but I'm not sure their fix actually fixes it.
  • Can someone going to PAX go to the Microsoft booth and try out the new 360 controller? They say they've fixed the D-pad, but I'm not sure their fix actually fixes it.
    I don't pay attention, but what was wrong with it? >.>
  • It's basically not precise. Which is fine for most modern game since most don't really use it for anything, but I've heard a number of complaints about it from people playing old games or fighting games.
  • I saw the d-pad video just now. You can apparently twist the d-pad to make the arrows stick out more or less. All it's really doing is making the plastic between the arrows retract.

Even though that's just a gimmick, I would like to get an XBox 360 controller with a better d-pad. The problem is that they are going to charge $65! That's a ludicrous price.

Between this and the XBL price hike announcement, I think the truth is out. Microsoft isn't making enough moneys, and the XBox is one of the only divisions that's looking good. Therefore, they're going to raise prices on XBox to increase profits.
  • Between this and the XBL price hike announcement, I think the truth is out. Microsoft isn't making enough moneys, and the XBox is one of the only divisions that's looking good. Therefore, they're going to raise prices on XBox to increase profits.
    I'll take this as troof as well.
  • Actually, never mind about the controller price. Apparently that new controller also has a rechargeable battery and chaging kit, so the price is justified.
  • Oh, hey travelers, it just started raining this morning, and it's kinda cold. Bring a raincoat or umbrella when you come to town. You might not need it but that's less certain than it seemed 24 hours ago, when it was still apparently summer.
  • If you are thinking of bringing any item to PAX, ask yourself this: when you had 3 hours of sleep last night and have been at the convention for 12 hours already and you're heading into a concert where you'll be on your feet for perhaps three to five more hours, is this something you will want to have along?

Water bottle: yes
    Vault boy puppet: yes
    Energy bar: yes
    DS/iPhone/Glowy thing to hold up during ballads: yes
    Lightsaber: maybe
    Backpack: no
    Race for the Galaxy: no
    Suitcase: definitely no
    D&D books: oh hell naw
    RC car: wat
  • edited August 2010
    balderdash wins
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • RC car: wat
    RC helicopter is clearly the superior choice.
  • Water bottle is key, though supposedly food/drink won't be allowed in the hall...
  • Water bottle is key, though supposedly food/drink won't be allowed in the hall...
    Benaroya: no, everywhere else: yes. Water bottles are the best. If you're staying in a hotel, free ice! Or go to the many Starbucks and get it filled with ice and water. Water fountains are everywhere around the convention center.

It maybe raining today, but the forecast says partial clouds and sun the rest of the week. However, bring a hooded type top just in case.

Umbrella: LOL
  • Ro got to it before I did. The forecast looks good for the rest of the show. I do hope it rains some while I'm there, though. I do so love the rain and we hardly get any here in SoCal.
  • edited August 2010
    RC helicopter is clearly the superior choice.
    Two words: RC Drifting
    It maybe raining today, but the forecast says partial clouds and sun the rest of the week. However, bring a hooded type top just in case.
    Ro got to it before I did. The forecast looks good for the rest of the show. I do hope it rains some while I'm there, though. I do so love the rain and we hardly get any here in SoCal.
    Indeed. I also hope it'll rain. We haven't seen any rain since...May? I reallly miss the rain. I really REALLY miss rain.

I'll bring my trench coat...

Aerodynamic Umbrella is Aerodynamic!
  • Umbrella: LOL
    I kinda like umbrellas. It's how you spot the tourists.
  • Okay, but what about an umbrella^2?
    Waste of crap to carry. Hooded type jacket that's fairly water proof is better.