This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Comments

• GeoGeo
    edited November 2013

Except we've just got to season two episode six. And it's not fun any more. It's interesting TV, but I don't find it fun or entertaining. Judging by what I've heard about the show, I'll probably enjoy it less and less as it goes on. So... well, I guess that's it.

Speaking as a fan of the show, I would advise you to stick it out. The middle of season 2 is probably the weakest part of the entire show, but it all pays off extremely well in the Season 2 finale. After that, I don't think I'm in the wrong when I say that it is one of the rare shows to continually get better as the seasons go by. Whether you want to continue it or not is your prerogative, but I think there are truly great and satisfying rewards if you stick it out through an admittedly meh part of an otherwise fantastic show.

Post edited by Geo on
  • It's funny I stopped watching breaking bad in the middle of season 2 as well.. Someday I'll get back to it.
  • Cremlian said:

It's funny I stopped watching breaking bad in the middle of season 2 as well.. Someday I'll get back to it.

I actually know a lot of people who dropped around that part (more than I would expect) and I know what they are talking about and why they dropped.

• Rym said:

House of Cards has yet to be beat in terms of recent live-action television drama that is in Rym's wheelhouse.

It is also in my wheelhouse. I've watched the first season twice and wouldn't mind watching it a 3rd time. It really surprised me on the depth of the events that were occurring, the strategy that was being played out not to mention it is shot well and has quite good acting as well.

Even if it doesn't sound like it's interesting to you, I recommend anyone who hasn't watched it to give it a try.
  • Dollhouse is pretty amazing. Does it end or go full Whedon? Even if it's a rushed ending, does it have any ending at all?
  • edited November 2013
    Dollhouse has one of the more satisfying and fulfilled endings to a series that I have ever seen.
    Post edited by kravenoff42 on
  • Time to start rewatching the first season.

• edited December 2013
    Yessssssssss more House of Cards.

Reviving this Breaking Bad discussion here b/c I just shotgunned the entire show over a 3-month stretch. I can honestly give this show my full endorsement, and while I understand the desire to drop out in Season 2, I would urge people to plow forward.

I think what is going on here is that Breaking Bad Season 1 was shortened by the writer's strike, leaving the show to pick up strong at the start of Season 2 and get to the showdown that was supposed to be the "real" Season 1 finale. Once they blow that load, the show goes into a real hard reset as they have to get everything set up for the next build-up and climax.

It's a bit of an awkward pacing, and I'll be honest it does happen again (just not as severely) two more times in the show as they have to spend a few episodes just re-establishing direction. Over the span of 6 seasons, though, the vast majority of the show is top-notch. Season 4 is really as good as it gets with any TV series. The show dips just a touch coming out of Season 4 but still sustains a very high quality straight through to the end of the series. I'm impressed.

I always see the ability to seamlessly incorporate new characters as the hallmark of a good television series. There are some fantastic characters that don't come around (or have much screen time) until the third and fourth seasons of this show, and that really helps to keep it fresh when the focus isn't on the action.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I've been watching Twin Peaks on Netflix. It started as a curiosity to see some references I've seen elsewhere but I'm actually really digging this show. I enjoy the juxtaposition between the weirdness of the characters to the seriousness of the crime.
  • My wife has been shotgunning Scandal. It starts as a typical serial drama, and somewhere in season two drops the "story of the week" crap and goes absolute batshit nutty, and it's actually quite an improvement. The show is not half bad.
  • What is "shotgunning" a show? I don't know the word in regards to TV watching.
  • Since Netflix added the newest season of Futurama we have been watching it a few episodes here and there. Also caught up on Arrow (I like the realistic 'super' hero shows), Peep Show and Revolution.

I have also been streaming Family Guy in short bursts. How do they keep coming up with so many funny jokes?
  • edited December 2013
    Arrow and Shield are the only two shows I've been following and Arrow is constantly pretty awesome and Shield is getting there rapidly. Also watched the first eps of Almost Human which has a lot of potential. It feels a lot like a live action Anime plot.

I assume shotgunning is another term for binge watching. Either that or it's watching two eps a night :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I've been steadily watching through 30 Rock and loving it. There's just something about the concoction of Tiny Fey, Alec Baldwin and Tracy Morgan that can make me laugh frequently and make me feel for those characters. I'm only halfway through Season 1, but I'll actually go all the way through it.

Also, finished Legend of Korra Season 2. ...best I can say is that I would give it a 6 out of 10, but I'm interested in where the 3rd Book will go.
  • I gave up on Shield three episodes in.
  • edited December 2013
    HMTKSteve said:

I gave up on Shield three episodes in.

Perfectly understandable. The second eps is terrible and while the third eps is better it's not saying much (and doesn't make up for how bad that second eps was) but after that it starts actually getting significant better. The next two eps Eye Spy and Girl in a flower dress, are pretty good, and everything past that starting with F.Z.Z.T is good and it went out on a good cliffhanger for the holiday break.

I'd have to rewatch to figure out if you could just skip to F.Z.Z.T. However you could probably just watch the first eps and the last eps and get a complete story (because the "super Hero" comes back)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Are all of the episodes on Hulu or just a limitted number? If they are all there I *might* give it another chance if nothing else is on. If not I'll wait until season one is on Netflix.
  • Funny enough they have eps 4 and up.
  • What is "shotgunning" a show? I don't know the word in regards to TV watching.

Loading up numerous episodes and watching them all in one sitting. Equivalent to the term "binge viewing."

• It comes from "Shotgunning" a drink, which is drinking an entire can at once - for some reason, I've only seen it applied to cans.
  • Well, it's a bit harder to poke a hole near the bottom of a bottle and safely drink from that.
  • Ruffas said:

Well, it's a bit harder to poke a hole near the bottom of a bottle and safely drink from that.

Yep. You're going to be limited to metal vessels when shotgunning unless you have other equipment. That being said, I have seen a one-beer beer bong that was designed to be used with single glass bottles. It had a different name back when I was in college (usually called a "Phat Dik"), but I've seen them marketed lately as the Head Rush - http://www.amazon.com/Head-Rush-The-Ultimate-Beer-Bottle/dp/B000XMTCN6

Back on topic: I've been sick with the flu this past week so I've been working my way through the back catalog of sci-fi stuff I've missed over the last several years thanks to Netflix and Amazon Prime. The most recent rounds of binge-watching have included the latest season of Warehouse 13 and a good chunk of Fringe. On the drama front, I've also been watching Rescue Me and Sons of Anarchy. I keep meaning to go back to Weeds and Breaking Bad, but haven't made the time for them yet.
  • edited December 2013
    Just finished watching all of Leverage (on Netflix). I highly recommend it. It starts off slow, but then hits you over the head with character development and nerdy in-jokes. (The Die Hard / Doctor Who episode is my favorite)
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Just finished watching all of Leverage (on Netflix). I highly recommend it. It starts off slow, but then hits you over the head with character development and nerdy in-jokes. (The Die Hard / Doctor Who episode is my favorite)

Oh man, I love that show. The only episode that wasn't terribly good, was the one where they ended up on the plane - that basically blew any ability to maintain the suspension of disbelief to fucking smithereens for anyone who knows the first thing about aviation - but I can see how others would still enjoy it.

Must be what programmers feel like when they see Hollywood Hacking.
  • Lame. The recent Hulu+ update on PS3 blocked the bluray remote buttons from working. Now I have to use the PS3 controller rather than the remote.

Netflix still works correctly.
  • Looks like episodes 7&8 of Shield are missing from hulu.
  • Churba said:

Just finished watching all of Leverage (on Netflix). I highly recommend it. It starts off slow, but then hits you over the head with character development and nerdy in-jokes. (The Die Hard / Doctor Who episode is my favorite)

Oh man, I love that show. The only episode that wasn't terribly good, was the one where they ended up on the plane - that basically blew any ability to maintain the suspension of disbelief to fucking smithereens for anyone who knows the first thing about aviation - but I can see how others would still enjoy it.

Must be what programmers feel like when they see Hollywood Hacking.
    I also really enjoyed the show as it came out. A lot of people were sad that it ended after 5 seasons. I think that's perfect for shows. Not too much. I still have yet to watch the series finale. I'm on the final season again.
  • edited January 2014
    So, episode 1 of Sherlock season 3 was pretty good, although it made you want to murder Sherlock with your bare hands.
    Episode 2 was possibly the best (or at least funniest) piece of television for years, and I will probably be able to rewatch it indefinitely.
    Just watched episode 3. Moffat has, as he did with the Doctor Who Christmas Special, wasted a whole fuckton of very good plot.

When does Stephen Moffat regenerate?
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Episodes 2 and 3 are out?
    I watched episode 1 when it came out, but haven't payed attention for when the rest of them came.
    I think the main problem in the first episode of the season was that because there was so much of that "Sherlock is back" business, the actual mystery plot felt rushed and not very good.
  • It seems Archer is back.