This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Upgrade to Vanilla 2

Comments

• I revise my answer. I'd buy a plane ticket, visit New York, find Scott (can't be that hard) and punch him in the face while yelling "WHAT THE FUCK, SCOTT". Then, I'd run away before I get my ass kicked by the police.
  • I'd find the person who clearly drugged Scott and stole the root and admin passwords to the server.
  • I'd be ok with it.
  • I use an OSX auto completion application called Text Expander. It is awesome. It saves me soooo much time.

To my point! I use it to make html quicker and easier to write instead of typing:
    <a href=" I type ahref and it does it for me. Then I type tgen and it inserts target="new">. I use this for writing blog posts super quickly.

The best part is that it doesn't work in just one program, but any time or place I type anything on my MacBook Pro. The worst part is when I'm on another computer and at the end of an email I type cyllb and instead of adding

"Catch you later,

Luke B."

It adds nothing. And pphone doesn't insert my phone number for me. And aaddress doesn't insert my address. And many, many other things.

Which is why I'm not complaining about this forum or the HTML at all.
  • I just looked up some more features of Text Expander and it seems you can add characters to your text snippets to insert information from the clipboard and move the cursor. Why I didn't I look work this out before?!

Now if I type ahref it adds
    <a href="%clipboard" target="new">%|</a> where %clipboard is the clipboard (obviously) and %| is the new place for the cursor. Now I can copy an URL, type five characters, and then can just type in the name of the link right away. This is going to save me way more time than before.
  • What's the purpose of the "My Discussions" tab, now that we have a good bookmarking system? Could that be rejiggered to list threads we've posted in? I know I sometimes forget I've posted in a thread, only to miss a very cogent and insightful reply/retort from another forumgoer.
  • I thought "My Discussions" were discussions you've started.
  • I thought "My Discussions" were discussions you've started.
    Yes, it is, but Yosho is saying that you could easily bookmark those threads instead, and have that tab be something more useful.
  • Loving the mobile interface! I actually like it better than the normal web view. That is quite typical though, the same with Facebook and other social services.

Pity one looks great and is hell to type, and the other looks mixed up but has a keyboard attached.
  • Tried to change regular expression for username validation. Broke entire forum.
  • edited November 2011
    Oh shit yeah, I gotta agree - the mobile interface is fuckin' wicked. Sure, annoying to type on, but I suppose that's mostly the input method, rather than the forum.

Also, posting from my phone while drinking whiskey and doing manual labor on a mild to warm-ish day. Strange times.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited November 2011
    I miss the link that takes you directly to the last page of a topic. I'm done QQ now.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Yeah, the mobile interface is crazy awesome.
    Are you *sure* you didn't accidentally install Vanilla 2: Mobile Edition? :P

• I wish we had a delete comment option still because if one realizes that someone said the same thing or realize they're replying to something old, it would be nice to just knock the post off instead of saying EDIT: blah blah blah
  • When using my iPad to read the forum before the upgrade it would remain logged in, now it seems to forget my login occasionally.
  • I wish we had a delete comment option still because if one realizes that someone said the same thing or realize they're replying to something old, it would be nice to just knock the post off instead of saying EDIT: blah blah blah
    There's never been a delete comment option....
  • You could change it to a whisper to yourself, though, which effectively did the same thing.
  • Vanilla 2.0.18 is out. Time to update!
  • Vanilla 2.0.18 is out. Time to update!
    Will do ASAP.
  • Fix the edit time out while you're at it. ^_^
  • edited November 2011
    Fix the edit time out while you're at it. ^_^
    I think the edit time is just fine as it is.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah, I'd say it's fine, although exceptions could be made for the first post in a thread.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • It appears that bookmarked discussions do not update with yellow highlight to show when new posts have been made.
    I think you're wrong.

• edited November 2011
    I think you're wrong.
    Elaborate.

Post edited by lackofcheese on
    I think you're wrong.
    Elaborate.
    I just like being able to edit my posts. I've edited incorrect things hours, sometimes even a day later.

I think you're wrong.
    Elaborate.
    I just like being able to edit my posts. I've edited incorrect things hours, sometimes even a day later.

If the edit time limit means you will think harder before posting something then it's only a good thing.
  • edited November 2011
    I think you're wrong.
    Elaborate.
    If the edit time limit means you will think harder before posting something then it's only a good thing.
    Except for that contact info thread where I can't update my address anymore. >_>
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Oh wow, I totally misunderstood what the edit time was about. I thought it was a waiting period before you could edit the post, not a countdown until the post was no longer editable.

OK, here's a situation that would be good for editing later. I post a Youtube video, picture, or link. Later, that link goes dead, but I can point to the content elsewhere. Why duplicate a post when I could just go back in and fix the link?
  • Where is the link to the bookmarked discussions in the mobile version? Am I being dumb?