This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game Offers

Comments

• Obviously with just these six characteristics, some games that are quite different will appear the same. For example, Tribes 2 has vehicles, energy, and other aspects. Doom 2 has no capacity for zooming. Lithium Deathmatch has various powerups.
  • You can see how, by defining a very small lexicon on an ad-hoc basis, you can easily begin to compare different games from a reasonably objective baseline.
  • A missing metric is arena vs geographical type environments.
  • A missing metric is arena vs geographical type environments.
    Meh. There are thousands of missing aspects here. No reason to overengineer the frame of debate unless it becomes of significant importance, lest we spend the entire debate arguing the frame itself.
  • It's more meaningful than engagement range and movement type in your provided listing. In fact, I think it encapsulates both into a single variable quite nicely and in a more concise and descriptive manner.
  • It's more meaningful than engagement range and movement type in your provided listing. In fact, I think it encapsulates both into a single variable quite nicely and in a more concise and descriptive manner.
    All right, then define a lexicon for all of the above games and assign them categories.
  • You can see how, by defining a very small lexicon on an ad-hoc basis, you can easily begin to compare different games from a reasonably objective baseline.
    Except you just mentioned how games can be quite different can seem similar using this system. So obviously using the system to prove similarity of two games doesn't work, so only thing we are left is that we can use the system is to say that these two games are different from each other. And I don't think we really need an system for that. I want to believe in people enough that they can tell when two games are different from each other.

But what do I know. Maybe structured system for categorizing differences inside one genre can be useful. But I feel that it's not quite truly objective, someone has made a subjective choice of what elements of fpses are included in that listing. For example there is nothing about team-work, for example I'd say that CS is big on team work and Quake less so (warning; I know barely anything about high level quake). Or like Andew said, nothing about style of environments. There are countless elements in fpses that can be used to compare them and the system to be truly objective they all would have to be included.

Also, I might be playing a little bit of Devil's advocate here, but I thought that these were issues that could and maybe should be raised.
  • You're over-engineering. That level of argument over semantics constitutes the vast majority of gaming discussion.

The only discussion at this point was what constitutes a "fast" FPS versus a "slow" FPS. This was simply a minimal set of characteristics with loosely defined categories by which to make a reasonable comparison on "fastness" alone.
  • I feel like I just took a "Video Game Reviewing 101" course.
  • Heh.. You guys should see more of our lectures on this stuff. For every one on Youtube, we have several more.
  • It's not a daily deal, but I've been seeing more and more about this Awesomenauts game. Looks like a MOBA but without the vast majority of metagame bullshit that makes League and DOTA2 shitty games. Also the main gameplay looks like arcadey platforming, rather than slow-ass top-down RTS play. I played a bit on my brother's account, it was ridiculous fun and I got the hang of it after about 10 minutes without any tutorial. $10 normally, $5 right now.
  • edited December 2012
    There are lots of games where the feel of interacting with it isn't really considered.
    Metro 2033 is a recent shining example of how damn near everything about the interface was used to add to the game as a whole. I also liked Farcry 2 for it's controls and variation of weapon feeling.

NS2 has very specifically chosen it's speeds so that the characters fit with their rolls. You could amp everything up but that makes it more difficult to keep the occasional creep factor.

The wall bounce thing they added doesn't come across very well though. It's meant to replace bunny-hopping but I don't think such things have much place any more.

I would like to see Quake style games remade by Cactus Squid (The Hotline Miami guy.).
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited December 2012
    Spec Ops: The Line is only 6,79 € right now. Everybody, this is a MUST BUY. One of the best games I played all year (but not for the reasons you think).
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • You have to be careful. I played it last week, now I can't relate to my family, my girlfriend doesn't understand cus she wasn't there and I need to go back as its the only place I belong. I also have vivid hallucinations and distrust sand.
  • I will personally teach anyone to play who wants to.
    If I catch you online in the Steam group, I'd like to take you up on that, Scott. Picked it up when it was on sale a few days ago. After hearing you guys evangelize it for years, I'm definitely ready to try it out for myself.
  • edited December 2012
    Tribes Meltdown mod and it's cousins/derivatives had fast movement... I miss that. The biggest thing it added was tons of pure kinetic projectiles that basically acted as rocket jumping but way more crazy high powered and didn't cause damage (or much damage) to the user. Plus two classes of armor with infinite jump jets or very near infinite.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • It's not a daily deal, but I've been seeing more and more about this Awesomenauts game. Looks like a MOBA but without the vast majority of metagame bullshit that makes League and DOTA2 shitty games. Also the main gameplay looks like arcadey platforming, rather than slow-ass top-down RTS play. I played a bit on my brother's account, it was ridiculous fun and I got the hang of it after about 10 minutes without any tutorial. $10 normally, $5 right now.
    Awesomenauts is pretty cool. It's biggest downside is metalevel bullshit where you have to play the game to unlock access to different characters and other stuff.
  • It's biggest downside is metalevel bullshit where you have to play the game to unlock access to different characters and other stuff.
    I poked around, since you can get equal (or near equal?) XP from bot games, it doesn't matter much to me if I've got a limited palate of characters to start with.

Also I tend not to mind a grind, if it's an enjoyable grind. We'll see.

• I poked around, since you can get equal (or near equal?) XP from bot games, it doesn't matter much to me if I've got a limited palate of characters to start with.

Also I tend not to mind a grind, if it's an enjoyable grind. We'll see.
    Yea, it might not be that big of a deal, wasn't that for me ether, originally. I first got the game on box and unlocked most of the stuff, then I later acquired the game on Steam and realized, little too late, that I would have to unlock everything again, it started to feel bullshitty.

• edited December 2012
    Impulse bought McPixel because it reminded me of Junior Senior's Move Your Feet video. At $2.50, I feel like this was a good decision. If you crack a smile once during the trailer, I suggest you spend the money. I'm excited for the added value of subjecting my roommate to a ton of 20 second long point and click puzzles!

And here's Move Your Feet, because I will never ignore an opportunity to post this video:
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • Heh.. You guys should see more of our lectures on this stuff. For every one on Youtube, we have several more.
    What I want to see - Rym and Scott next to, say, Jeff Gurstman and Arthur Gies, on game reviewing. That would be rather interesting to watch. Maybe throw in Matt from Gameplanet/Australian gamer.
    After today I will be off until the 3rd. I may just take you up on this offer.
    I'm home all day tomorrow and most of Saturday unless I go to the grocery store.
  • edited December 2012
    Spec Ops: The Line is only 6,79 € right now. Everybody, this is a MUST BUY. One of the best games I played all year (but not for the reasons you think).
    I was going to talk about Spec Ops: The Line, but I thought it would be better as its own, spoilered, discussion here.

Post edited by YoshoKatana on
    I'm home all day tomorrow and most of Saturday unless I go to the grocery store.
    I too have off next week and may join the both of you.

• You can get Borderlands 2 season pass for $10.50 from GMG with their sale and the 30% off coupon.
  • My friend emailed me that earlier today. Totally going to do that when I get home. :3
  • edited December 2012
    The latest Humble Bundle has added a few additional games. Because I already own it, I'm now in possession of an extra steam code for the fantastic Cave Story+.

EIYFD-DC5PI-8LWB2

I'll just leave this here. If you take it, quote the message so others know it has been used.
    Post edited by Reol on
  • You can get Borderlands 2 season pass for $10.50 from GMG with their sale and the 30% off coupon.
    Purchased, thank you for the heads up.