This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game Offers

Comments

• Whoah, Best Buy has Metroid: Other M for $4.99
    Barely worth it. Game has some problems.
    Barely worth it. Game has some problems.
    Not worth it. Game is horrible.
  • I have pulled the trigger on morbid curiosity alone at this point. May the video game gods have mercy on my soul.
  • Being relatively inexperienced with Metroid games, I rented Other M a few months ago, and wasn't impressed. I then started playing some Super Metroid on my DS, before it crapped out on me; but the few hours I played were awesome, dude. Awesome.
    Nice, been waiting for the price drop to replay it. Other M is oddly misunderstood.
  • New day of Steam sales. Maybe I finally pay for Psychonauts.
  • edited December 2011
    Damn XBLA is doing 12 days of deals now too. 50% off Bastion.

Also, 5 of the Humble Indie Bundle 3 games were added into the current Bundle. That solidified it as the most ridiculous deal in gaming I've ever seen.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Nice, been waiting for the price drop to replay it. Other M is oddly misunderstood.
    Not 'odd', just 'terrible' :D

• Other M has gotten lot of hate in the Internet, but I've heard some positives too. It's the kind of game that I really want to get to try personally to be able to form a good opinion.
  • I picked up the double fine pack as well as Chantelise, 3 solid games I did not own as of yet.
  • edited December 2011
    Damn XBLA is doing 12 days of deals now too. 50% off Bastion.

Also, 5 of the Humble Indie Bundle 3 games were added into the current Bundle. That solidified it as the most ridiculous deal in gaming I've ever seen.
    The Scott Pilgrim game is also only 10 bucks and is definitely worth getting. It is an amazing Streets of Rage clone with a soundtrack by Anamanaguchi.
    Post edited by highdefinition on
  • Dungeons of Dreadmore is more than worth the price. Even if you're only on the edge about Rougelikes.
  • Dungeons of Dreadmore is more than worth the price. Even if you're only on the edge about Rougelikes.
    I just played it after a break and I think that my biggest problem with the game is that it's not Roguelike -like enough. Why does it have to force me to use the mouse, when more complex roguelikes have done well with just using the keyboard. Support for mouse is nice sometimes, but for example inventory management is just pain. Small icon one next to another and then you gotta hover the cursor above every one of them to know what you are actually carrying.

• I agree (and those are problems shared with it's spiritual inspiration, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup), but it's pretty easy to get two dollars of enjoyment out of it.
  • I have not had those problems with dreadmore, with some forced organization I found it easy enough to work with the icons. My problem was more that it felt like to not die horribly you had to clear each floor before the next, or at least do a large portion. This makes the game feel way to long in the tooth for what it is, and makes it so I cant really play a "quick" game of it. Still entirely worth $2.
    I picked up the double fine pack as well as Chantelise, 3 solid games I did not own as of yet.
    Have you played Chantelise yet? I got a coupon for it and it looks like super generic third person JRPG and has given me no reason to be interested in it.

• With the latest update, there's an option for "Smaller floors, same EXP" to tone down the grinding.
    I picked up the double fine pack as well as Chantelise, 3 solid games I did not own as of yet.
    Have you played Chantelise yet? I got a coupon for it and it looks like super generic third person JRPG and has given me no reason to be interested in it.

It's by the same group that did Reccetear. It's worth it, imo.
  • edited December 2011
    They added humble bundle 3 and soundtracks to the humble indie bundle 4.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Dungeons of Dreadmor is a dollar and a quarter. Seriously, dig into your pocket for change and get like, an infinite-hour game.
  • So I bought the Dungeons of Dredmor. It's a pretty good Rogue-like with much more accessible user interface than Nethack and such. The problem I have with it is the same problem I have with a lot of games. So many fuckin' items. What am I supposed to do with all this shit? I don't have time to manage these inventories.

The game should just use some visual indicator to let me know which items are useful to my character and which are not. Then create a separate area of the inventory I can clump them all in, and then an easy way to sell them all off at a shop. If I'm a sword guy, an axe I find should be grayed out to let me know I don't need that.
  • Have you played Binding of Isaac yet, Scott?
  • I find if you pay attention it's not that hard to glance at 90% of things and know whether they're useful. It comes down to this though, all weapons/armor not on your skills or < 3/4 stars or so are worthless and should either not be picked up or turned into lutefisk. All food/drink is useful (unless vampire) and just restores health/mana, keep it in order of healing/regen. Most fungi are useful. Pretty much everything else is useless/lutefisk unless you have the specific skills to use them. Also Scott boo-hoo you might have to learn a new system.
  • Honestly, Scott, that's one of those "Welcome to Roguelikes" moments.

1) Pick up food (for health), Booze (if you're a spellcaster of any stripe), and weapons that are clearly good for your build (Swords for the sword god guy, etc.).
    2) Only pick up armor and clothes that improve your stats. If you're playing on Elvishly Easy or Dwarven Moderation, you don't really have to worry about curses early on.
    3) Pick up Lutefisk and donate it to the lutefisk god. If you get a Horadic Lutefisk Cube, grind some of the crap you can't use into Lutefisk and donate it. (You'll eventually get an artifact donating to the Lutefisk god. Plus, it's fun to say Lutefisk.)
    4) Don't worry too heavily about Zorkmids. Early on, you're finding stuff left and right that you'll need, so you're not going to need vending machines or shop stuff.

It only seems like a lot to manage. It's actually somewhat easy. If you're playing on Going Rouge, you might want to step back to EE or DM, especially if you're not very experienced with Rougelikes. This game is actually one of the few instances where playing easier modes doesn't build too many bad habits.
  • Dragon Quest IX is now $4.99 at Best Buy. What is up with the crazy sales, Best Buy?
  • What's up with having these crazy sales that I can't actually finalize check-out on, best buy? :/
  • What's up with having these crazy sales that I can't actually finalize check-out on, best buy? :/
    What's up with almost every board game I buy having its order canceled a week later, Amazon? :/
  • edited December 2011
    What's up with having these crazy sales that I can't actually finalize check-out on, best buy? :/
    I was able to get both the Metroid and Dragon Quest checkout complete for in-store pickup, and have been emailed that these orders are ready for pickup, but I will not believe it until I have a game in my hands.
    What's up with having these crazy sales that I can't actually finalize check-out on, best buy? :/
    What's up with almost every board game I buy having its order canceled a week later, Amazon? :/
    Rym, is Amazon really your best bet for buying board games? If you've got prime and the games are sold by Amazon, I can understand the desire, but if every re-seller on there is a sham like you were speculating on the podcast a few episodes back, it's time to move on.

There are plenty of great online shops for board games. http://boardgameguy.com/ seems to have great prices and a few other board game people I converse with on Twitter have given the shop a thumbs up. I've personally ordered from Thought Hammer and Sci-Fi City, positive experiences with both.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Yeah, I bought Eclipse on funagain.com because it wasn't even listed on Amazon. I just prefer to buy things on Amazon, especially if they are shipped by Amazon, for reliability reasons. Also, Amazon credit card = 3x points.
  • If I want a board game and want to get a good deal on it (rather than pay retail at my local store), I generally go for the market on Boardgamegeek.com. I can generally get a good deal on a used copy there.