This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• Had I bought Windows 7, I wouldn't have to use the PS3 or 360 at all. I could stream Netflix in it, watch downloaded TV thingies, consume Hulu and whatever else I'd want to do. The only thing it wouldn't do would be due to it being a small form factor PC and not having a blu-ray or DVD drive.
    What's stopping you from getting Windows now?

Mostly laziness, and the lack of a decent video card in the machine. It's got a decent on-board video card but that can't handle high def stuff without stuttering. So really, it was a multiple fail for a media PC, but I learned stuff. Eventually I'll probably use that PC for something else, and I'll wipe it and put Win7 or XP on it.

• I used Ubuntu for a couple of months on my Desktop and I really liked it but not being able to use Netflix or Spotify on it without at VM or a lot of fiddling was too much of a bitch. If I could get a cheaper small laptop that wasn't just a shitty netbook with ubuntu on it I could see using that but I'll stick with windows for the most part.
  • I use Linux for coding and serving, but Windows for multimedia consumption/production, gaming, and everyday computing. I could probably get away with Linux for media consumption and everyday web browsing thanks to Firefox, mplayer, and Amarok, but no Spotify. But I need iTunes for my iPhone, and I actually like iTunes. Also, there are things such as Lightroom.

What it really comes down to is that anything I need to do in Linux will work fine in VirtualBox no problem. The things I do in Windows can not be in a virtual machine. Rather than the pain of dual booting, I just put Linux in a VM and open it when I have to code.
  • Random comment: I am declaring WAR on the bathtub clog after using 3 things of liquid plumber and it still being clogged.
  • Random comment: I am declaring WAR on the bathtub clog after using 3 things of liquid plumber and it still being clogged.
    Go to the hardware store and buy an auger.
  • I don't declare war until I have the right tools. I bought a cable auger already, and am now in the midst of the war.
  • You can always pirate Windows and dual boot. Just make Ubuntu your default and only go into Windows for gaming.
    The issue right now is that the drive containing my Windows installation failed. Or at least, some part of the installation is corrupted to the point where I cannot boot into Windows. This is what sparked my musings about the necessity of a tower. Also, that's why I'm running Ubuntu.

But yeah, if this doesn't work, then I'll be dual-booting. Honestly, I'm not sure why I didn't bother trying out Ubuntu earlier.
    That's how it starts. After about two weeks you'll realize that (as a desktop PC) Ubuntu does everything your Windows did, but a bit worse and requires more fiddling. Considering your time is worth about $30/hr or so, you'll eventually realize that all the fiddling you're doing is costing you more money than if you had just bought Windows and it worked straight away.
    I don't have to really do that much fiddling to get things working, but yeah, it doesn't work quite as well as Windows for most of my media consumption. It works well enough for now, though, so I'll get around to getting a replacement hard drive when I feel like it.

• To get Spotify working, you run the official binary you can download from the website or their repository. Isn't Netflix just a website? If you download media in formats worth a damn, chances are it'll work much better and less painfully using things like Totem or Mplayer than Windows alternatives.
  • To get Spotify working, you run the official binary you can download from the website or their repository. Isn't Netflix just a website? If you download media in formats worth a damn, chances are it'll work much better and less painfully using things like Totem or Mplayer than Windows alternatives.
    Netflix uses Silverlight, which doesn't work with Ubuntu. downloaded media works fine in VLC, but high def stuff stutters because of my hardware.
  • VLC /looks like crap/ more often than not. Many formats are glitchy. Its heavier than other players, it doesn't have the features you expect, and used not to have support for basic meta things, like, chapters. It would work better on Linux using whatever is your distro standard. It'll most likely ask you something like "Yo I don't do this shit very well. Do you want me to?", make sure you answer yes.

There is Mono for Linux, which does the Silverlight DRM stuff, and the Windows version works through Wine they say. I can't confirm this.
  • You can always pirate Windows and dual boot. Just make Ubuntu your default and only go into Windows for gaming.
    The issue right now is that the drive containing my Windows installation failed. Or at least, some part of the installation is corrupted to the point where I cannot boot into Windows. This is what sparked my musings about the necessity of a tower. Also, that's why I'm running Ubuntu.

But yeah, if this doesn't work, then I'll be dual-booting. Honestly, I'm not sure why I didn't bother trying out Ubuntu earlier.
    That's how it starts. After about two weeks you'll realize that (as a desktop PC) Ubuntu does everything your Windows did, but a bit worse and requires more fiddling. Considering your time is worth about $30/hr or so, you'll eventually realize that all the fiddling you're doing is costing you more money than if you had just bought Windows and it worked straight away.
    Unless you are writing software. Then the opposite.
    Yeah.
  • Well, VLC is my go-to video player on just about every platform, not just Linux. What do you recommend for any arbitrary platform?
  • Ubuntu: Gnome-MPlayer is ok. Windows: SPlayer is funky.
  • Ubuntu: Gnome-MPlayer is ok. Windows: SPlayer is funky.
    Command line mplayer is the only way.
  • I have had a vision: to drive from Lisbon to Beijing. The only difficulty (besides 3 years without employment, needing to learn 3 languages, etc.) is that there is no way around Iran without going around the Caspian Sea.
    Netflix uses Silverlight, which doesn't work with Ubuntu. downloaded media works fine in VLC, but high def stuff stutters because of my hardware.
    There is a version of Silverlight called Moonlight that works with linux. Get that.
  • edited January 2012

"Christian" students respond to school losing court case concerning prayer banner in school.

You know, I went through Middle School and High School in Smithfield, which is only a few miles from Cranston High. One of the biggest things they taught in our history classes was that Roger Williams, though an immensely religious man, always said that religion should not be forced onto people. That was one of the reasons he founded Rhode Island and the Providence Plantations: because he was being persecuted in Massachusetts for his religious and political views. Hell, he started pissing of the Massachusetts church the minute he stepped off the boat from England because he didn't think church and state should be intermingled.

Roger Williams was kind of a badass.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Holy FUCK I'm glad I'm not in a particularly religious part of the country. How can those "Christians" spew such hate?
  • edited January 2012
    All of the hate, because that's what God would want. Or they're reasonable people.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • I MUST GO, MY PLANET NEEDS ME.
    I love it.
  • The current climate of tolerance in the Christian faith is the product of an emphasis on the Old Testament without looking at the revisions that separate them from the Jews. God is like John Lennon: He used to be cruel and mean, but then someone showed him the way of kindness and compassion and he became a happier person. However, Jesus didn't break up the Beatles. That would've been a bit of a deal-breaker.
  • The current climate of tolerance in the Christian faith is the product of an emphasis on the Old Testament without looking at the revisions that separate them from the Jews. God is like John Lennon: He used to be cruel and mean, but then someone showed him the way of kindness and compassion and he became a happier person. However, Jesus didn't break up the Beatles. That would've been a bit of a deal-breaker.
    I think a lot of my problem with Christians is how much the religion has been politicized recently (in the past 20 years or so), alongside the push towards evangelism for whatever reason that has come up. They focus on the scriptures that tell them to go and proselytize while putting less emphasis on the tolerance scriptures, and emphasizing that the "neighbor" scriptures generally apply to the members of the same church/religion.

So therefore, since they think that they are doing God's will by pushing their (correct, continually reaffirmed) beliefs on others, they think that any possible avenue of pursuing this is righteous. So... we get what outsiders think may be "rude", where they think it's perfectly reasonable. After all, they're looking out for your eternal soul.
  • Interesting how they also seem to forget the story of the Good Samaritan, which is definitely a case of "love your neighbor" when the neighbor isn't someone with the same beliefs as you... Well, given what you mentioned about how the selectively ignore parts of the scriptures, maybe it's not so interesting.
  • I get the impression that the subjective interpretation of religion is not something that happens only in Christianity.
  • I get the impression that the subjective interpretation of religion is not something that happens only in Christianity.
    Oh yeah, that definitely happens to any belief system or philosophy that has more than 1 person involved with any sort of idle time on their hands.
  • We need a FRC pub crawl at conventions.
    I think that's just going out to dinner or the post PAX dinner.

The Whiskey Priest.
  • I will see if I can get some way-ahead-of-PAX reservations for dinner. Worth a shot.
    The Whiskey Priest.
    We could take a tour of the Harpoon Brewery...