This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• edited September 2012
    I generally limit my alcohol intake to a 40oz, nowadays.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I usually don't ever drink hard alcohol unless it's mixed with something, but I've been getting into whiskey lately.
  • I limit my alcohol intake by stopping drinking eventually.
  • I actually like gin and tonics. Just not straight gin. I'll drink it for it's effects though.
  • Passing out. It's mother nature's last call.
  • Just dump a bunch of salt into a thing of hand sanitizer. Instant good times happy cocktail.
  • Just dump a bunch of salt into a thing of hand sanitizer. Instant good times happy cocktail.
    Here at U of I, that's actually called a "Hospital Happy Hour."

Wow, I was completely kidding. Why would people do that if they can afford actual alcohol that doesn't murder your digestive tract?

• On a tangent whenever someone says U of I it immediately makes me think University of Idaho.
  • On a tangent whenever someone says U of I it immediately makes me think University of Idaho.
    At this point I'm pretty certain he means Universe of Idiocracy.

Wow, I was completely kidding. Why would people do that if they can afford actual alcohol that doesn't murder your digestive tract?

I was kidding, too. A bottle of everclear is $10 here. If you're drinking hand sanitizer, you're just lazy.

• edited September 2012
    Damn its that cheap? It's like twice that here and I think Michigan law doesn't allow it to be full strength anyway (or so I've heard).
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • Also who eats poison ivy/oak!?
    Stinging nettle soup is quite good. I've sometimes eaten stinging nettles in the wild as long as you strip the stinging part from the leaves. It's not the same as actual poison ivy as my memory tells me that stinging nettles are quite mild, but people do eat these sorts of plants.

• Looking it up now, poison ivy is pretty much inedable. Don't go out and eat any stinging plants just because of my posts. Stinging nettles however are still an actual delicacy.
  • Also who eats poison ivy/oak!? They're all trivially identifiable by sight, except in the dead of winter. Tough I did have one friend grab a large poison oak vine and swing like Tarzan on it. The aftermath of that was great.
    The whole point is that they didn't know what it was. I couldn't tell them in advance because it was a quiz, and that would kind of defeat the purpose of saying, "Identify this plant."

Yes, I think that poison ivy is trivially identifiable, but actually it is one of the most variable plants in terms of foliage shape, color, size, etc. So when you are comparing it against other plants, some of which are similar, it becomes more complicated than just avoiding anything green with 3 leaflets.

• Also who eats poison ivy/oak!?
    Stinging nettle soup is quite good. I've sometimes eaten stinging nettles in the wild as long as you strip the stinging part from the leaves. It's not the same as actual poison ivy as my memory tells me that stinging nettles are quite mild, but people do eat these sorts of plants.
    You can even make beer from nettles.
  • edited September 2012
    Also who eats poison ivy/oak!?

Poison Ivy isn't a stinging plant. It contains an oil that causes irritation and allergic reactions from topical contact. The oil is in EVERY part of the plant except the pollen.

Nettles actually have tiny, sharp hollow hairs that inject you with chemicals. Simply soaking them in water (or cooking) removes the chemicals and renders them safe.

Best not to get those two confused.

Post edited by Nuri on
  • I want Nuri on my team in the zombie apocalypse.
  • With the Middle east going to hell all I can think of is Fortune's line from Metal Gear Solid 2. "Today is another bad day."
  • I want a new iPhone case because, as much as I've enjoyed having my phone look like a Game Boy for the past year, it doesn't fit well enough which is annoying. Also I've started to feel cheesy having this case now that I perform in front of audiences with a Game Boy on a regular basis.
  • I want a new iPhone case because, as much as I've enjoyed having my phone look like a Game Boy for the past year, it doesn't fit well enough which is annoying. Also I've started to feel cheesy having this case now that I perform in front of audiences with a Game Boy on a regular basis.
    Naked iPhone for four years, no breakages. Plan to have iPhone 5 naked as well.
  • Sail, have I ever mentioned that chiptunes are awesome and I have mad respect for the fact that you do them?
  • Sail, have I ever mentioned that chiptunes are awesome and I have mad respect for the fact that you do them?
  • I am sad that when I get the iPhone 5, my custom Nyan cross stitch case will be obsolete.
    (;_;)
  • You could not upgrade.
  • So yeah, I've told Jeremy for ages to add 2 step authentication for this Google account and add Google Authenticator to his Android phone.

Does he listen? Nope.

This morning he gets an email from Google saying that someone from China was trying to access his accounts.

So for the last half hour he's all frustrated because he doesn't know how 2 step authentication works and doesn't understand the application specific passwords and is getting mad at me and in general.

I eventually explained it to him and everything is good now. Don't get mad at the messenger and the person who is helping you.
  • Also who eats poison ivy/oak!? They're all trivially identifiable by sight, except in the dead of winter. Tough I did have one friend grab a large poison oak vine and swing like Tarzan on it. The aftermath of that was great.
    The whole point is that they didn't know what it was. I couldn't tell them in advance because it was a quiz, and that would kind of defeat the purpose of saying, "Identify this plant."

Yes, I think that poison ivy is trivially identifiable, but actually it is one of the most variable plants in terms of foliage shape, color, size, etc. So when you are comparing it against other plants, some of which are similar, it becomes more complicated than just avoiding anything green with 3 leaflets.

Chemistry and Biology: "Never put anything in your mouth. Srsly bro just don't do it."

Dendrology: "You can probably figure out what that leaf is is you chew it!"
  • You're supposed to narrow it down to safe options based on sight and feel first! Fuckin' newbies.
  • Naked iPhone for four years, no breakages. Plan to have iPhone 5 naked as well.
    My 3G was always naked, and my 4 was for a while before I got this case. I never drop my electronics, but I've come to enjoy having something geeky on the back of my phone and it's often a conversation starter.
    Sail, have I ever mentioned that chiptunes are awesome and I have mad respect for the fact that you do them?
    *blush*
  • Naked iPhone for four years, no breakages. Plan to have iPhone 5 naked as well.
    My 3G was always naked, and my 4 was for a while before I got this case. I never drop my electronics, but I've come to enjoy having something geeky on the back of my phone and it's often a conversation starter.
    Same. I don't use my NERV iPad case because I think it's going to protect it, I use it because I like to pretend to be working for Misato.