This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• My is "TARDIS" because like the Tardis the internet is so big, also, I am SUCH a nerd.
    Mine is Starbase 18440. 18440 being my street address.

• My is "TARDIS" because like the Tardis the internet is so big, also, I am SUCH a nerd.
    Mine is Starbase 18440. 18440 being my street address.

Castle Greyskull. I HAVE THE POWER (of 802.11g)

• "Cat Detector Van"
  • People should stop swinging their arms so exaggeratedly while walking. It's more often then you'd think that I'm walking near someone in a crowd and someone's fist is swinging in a trajectory that is also occupied by my crotch.
  • The rent really is too damn high.
  • That iPod nano is so awesome I wish that it wasn't redundant with the iPhone, so I would have a reason to buy one.

Imagine if that iPod nano was actually iPhone mini. I might buy two.
  • Why the fuck does every fucking job require 3-5 years of experience in the industry? As if I am not capable of learning how something works. How is any new graduate supposed to get a job in the industry if everything requires prior experience? Fuck everything. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Pro tip, use your time in college as "experience."
  • Why the fuck does every fucking job require 3-5 years of experience in the industry? As if I am not capable of learning how something works. How is any new graduate supposed to get a job in the industry if everything requires prior experience? Fuck everything. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Most of the job openings in the Game Industry are this way. It's ridiculous.

Yeap. Every tech job has similar silly requirements. I counted RIT as experience and applied.

• You should ignore requirements on every job posting. If you think you can do the job, and want to do it, then apply.
  • You should ignore requirements on every job posting. If you think you can do the job, and want to do it, then apply.
    You're blowin my mind here, Scott.
    Yeap. Every tech job has similar silly requirements. I counted RIT as experience and applied.

Yeah I know this. The problem is my time in school isn't always in the industry they want you to have experience in. Most of the things I am looking at want a law & policy or environmental person, but they also want 5 years of experience in the industry (chemical production, power and energy, etc.)

I apply, but they never respond. Even the temp agencies/staffing services are blowing me off.

• :( Yeah, the placement stats for law school grads is rather pathetic at the moment.
  • You could run for a local office related to one of the industries. (I'm almost semi-serious: water boards and crap like that would definitely count, and you can always work part time while doing things like that).

Yeah I know this. The problem is my time in school isn't always in the industry they want you to have experience in. Most of the things I am looking at want a law & policy or environmental person, but they also want 5 years of experience in the industry (chemical production, power and energy, etc.)

I apply, but they never respond. Even the temp agencies/staffing services are blowing me off.

You may have to resort to the creative application methods. It feels icky like you are stalking or harrassing the company you are applying to, but it can work.
  • It's Albany. All of those positions are held by people with experience in the field. Running against them would be a pretty terrible judgment call.

Though as to working PT... I have been looking for part time work too. Hence the temp queries. It's really easy to say "get a part time job." So far no luck in anything remotely related to my interests. It would be nice if I could at least have a discussion or interview with a staffing agency so they could tell me why 8 years of education and 2 years of data administration and contract management doesn't qualify me for anything.

I am continuing to submit applications. I just find the whole "if we don't want you we're not going to bother to notify you" thing that is the norm now. I get that it's a buyer's market, but if I'm taking the time to write a cover letter and fill out application forms, it would be nice if they could be bothered to send me a one-line email saying they've seen my application and aren't interested.
  • Hey, what do ya know. I just got one of those emails from the Forest Service. At least somebody has some professionalism left.
  • I just find the whole "if we don't want you we're not going to bother to notify you" thing that is the norm now. I get that it's a buyer's market, but if I'm taking the time to write a cover letter and fill out application forms, it would be nice if they could be bothered to send me a one-line email saying they've seen my application and aren't interested.
    That's the part that bugs me, too. I sent out so many applications earlier this year, and getting 0 responses (positive or negative) sucked.

• I'll admit that I ignore most job applications/resumes that pass my way. But, most of them are unsolicited in the first place.
  • I was applying to places that were actively seeking to hire college students as interns.
  • I'll admit that I ignore most job applications/resumes that pass my way. But, most of them are unsolicited in the first place.
    If you send in an unsolicited application, you shouldn't expect a reply. Most places I'm looking at are militantly anti-unsolicited resumes.

• In hard times, being a jerk is a viable strategy. Get an unpaid internship. They are relatively easy to get. Since almost every unpaid internship is actually illegal, report your new employer to the proper authorities. There must be some way to get money out of that. At the very least, you'll be doing the world a service by removing unpaid illegal internships. You can then make a whole website about the awesome crusade you went on, and that project and experience can get you a real job!
  • Man, I was so under employed at my first job out of college. Took me a little while to get a job that didn't suck.
  • edited September 2012
    I got offered a job in my field the day after I got back from mucking about in Asia. >_>

Unrelated: There was a "Daddy Yankee" in Wal-mart today signing some things, so Wal-mart was extra Wal-mart.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • My used car I got from the dealership that has had the battery and alternator replaced four different times over the past three years apparently had the wrong engine in it.

I guess that makes sense.
  • Tried to record a podcast, but Rym wouldn't let one topic slide so it ate the whole episode.
  • What was the topic?
  • I'll be honest, half the time you guys could be arguing about the color of the sky and I'd still listen. You guys argue in a very crowd-pleasing way.