This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• edited September 2012
    That's not right. I've mailed things quite far for a much more reasonable rate at the USPS. I'm willing to bet you did something wrong.
    This, I've shipped to Ireland before and a zillion other places by USPS.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • That's not right. I've mailed things quite far for a much more reasonable rate at the USPS. I'm willing to bet you did something wrong.
    This, I've shipped to Ireland before and a zillion other places by USPS.
    Maybe he tried to do overnight super express with insurance, etc. etc.
  • USPS is so cheap that I've also had things sent to a friend in America to then post on that way because the only shipping options on a website were super expensive.
  • Sold that Gotham Central Vol. 1 Hardcover on Amazon for $55. Not bad.

I find it odd that the buyer is from Australia, but I'm shipping to a different person in Colorado. It's probably legit, but it stuck out to me.
    I've had purchasers like this a few times on Etsy, and I usually just send them a message to make sure it's correct. It usually turns out to be, but it never hurts to make sure the actual account owner gets an email to verify the purchase (which is usually what happens when you message someone on a site like that).

• I think I'm going to do a string arrangement of this for one of my classes.

• edited September 2012
    Shipping is crazy expensive... Either that or the US Postal Service isn't the best place to go. My wife wanted to mail a few boxes of Kraft Mac and Cheese to my niece, who moved to Ireland (where they don't sell it) with her mom about a year back. The USPS was going to charge something like $500 to mail it over...
    That's not right. I've mailed things quite far for a much more reasonable rate at the USPS. I'm willing to bet you did something wrong.
    To be fair, I wasn't at the USPS trying to do the shipping. It was my wife and I'm not fully sure what shipping options they were offering her... The box came to be about 16 lbs or so... No idea why the hell they were charging so much if what I hear from you guys is accurate.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Shipping is crazy expensive... Either that or the US Postal Service isn't the best place to go. My wife wanted to mail a few boxes of Kraft Mac and Cheese to my niece, who moved to Ireland (where they don't sell it) with her mom about a year back. The USPS was going to charge something like $500 to mail it over...
    To be fair, I wasn't at the USPS trying to do the shipping. It was my wife and I'm not fully sure what shipping options they were offering her... The box came to be about 16 lbs or so... No idea why the hell they were charging so much if what I hear from you guys is accurate.
    16 pounds of macaroni?! Holy shit, no wonder they were charging a fortune. Were you sending an entire pallet?
  • It'd be 32 boxes. A lot, but not an unreasonable amount to send to someone who loves something they can't get in the country they're in.
  • Yeah, I emailed the buyer to confirm the address. Seems like the Aussie's girlfriend will be visiting her sister in Colorado, where I'm shipping the item to, and will just bring the book with her when she goes home.

Just mailed it out with a personalized envelope:

I love doing stuff like that. :3

Also, when I get home I have 4 packages in the mail! It's like Christmas! I totally forgot that I ordered things online. Also got the Kickstarter Cucumber Quest book! Yay!
  • Starting to have feelings for a persongirl one works closely is kind of scary and dangerous :O
  • edited September 2012
    I haven't gotten my Cucumber Quest book yet :/

EDIT: Never mind, I have!
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • I haven't gotten my Cucumber Quest book yet :/

EDIT: Never mind, I have!
    Ditto.
  • edited September 2012
    16 pounds of macaroni?! Holy shit, no wonder they were charging a fortune. Were you sending an entire pallet?
    It'd be 32 boxes. A lot, but not an unreasonable amount to send to someone who loves something they can't get in the country they're in.
    Exactly. I bought two cases (16 boxes each or so, I think) at BJ's to send her as I'm not planning on shipping her a box every month or so. I had no idea that they would jack up the shipping prices that much on it.

I know there are a couple of folks in the UK here. Do they sell Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (also known as "Kraft Dinner" in some countries) over there? Maybe it'd be cheaper if I make arrangements to pay you to purchase and ship it to Ireland from there.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • I agree that it shouldn't be that expensive, but I wouldn't be surprised if it cost quite a bit.

What sort of pricing do you see on http://www.myamericanmarket.com/ ?

Random googling link there, but curious what the S&H comes out to that way.
  • 3 Euros per box (need to buy a 7 box minimum) and about 15 Euros shipping. So, basically, about $50 for 7 boxes of mac and cheese. That's some expensive mac and cheese... Still, I suppose it's an option.

I guess this now explains why when my family wants to ship something substantial to Portugal, they try to stick a relatively large shipping drum on a cargo ship that does regular runs between our home town here in the States and their old home town in Portugal. Otherwise, the shipping costs just aren't worth it.
  • Here's an idea specific to the mac + cheese. There isn't anything in the box except the cheese powder and the macaroni. They can get their own macaroni and measure it to be the same amount. Just take out all the cheese packets and send those. They can read the instructions online.
  • Also true. Damn.
  • Or you could make it from actual milk and cheese, it's super easy. Even I can make it.
  • I think the whole point of Kraft Mac N' Cheese is that it's easy and fast to make.
  • Cheese packet mailing sounds super effective. Hell, you could probably put a single packet in an envelope.
  • What happens when they xray the box (or whatever they do to check it) and see lots of mysterious packets of powder? New orange cocaine smuggling ring?

Otherwise, its a good idea, macaroni noodles you can get anywhere. BTW, making your own mac and cheese only requires a minimum of 5 ingredients (flour, butter, milk, shredded cheese, noodles) and takes about the same amount of time to cook as the box stuff. You just have to put forth a tiny bit more effort to measure the ingredients out and add them at the right time. I hate box mac & cheese. >.<
  • I havn't eaten actual kraft mac'n'cheese since I was a freshman in college. Honestly despite knowing how to make vastly superior pasta dishes, I can still see the appeal.

Same goes for White Castle burgers and chicken mcnuggets. I go for years without them, but they have some strange appeal at times.
  • Here's an idea specific to the mac + cheese. There isn't anything in the box except the cheese powder and the macaroni. They can get their own macaroni and measure it to be the same amount. Just take out all the cheese packets and send those. They can read the instructions online.
    But it's just not the same without the pasty, low quality pasta.
  • Damn... wonder why I didn't think of that... I'll need to keep that in mind. :)
  • Damn... wonder why I didn't think of that... I'll need to keep that in mind. :)
    Relevant to your interests.
  • edited September 2012
    Honeycrisp apples, best apples.

Edit: Dad stopped by to deliver a meatball sub with Joey Jo Jo Shabadoo in the car. He was so happy to see me. Love that dog. Nice little surprise in the middle of my day. Good times.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited September 2012
    Honeycrisp apples, best apples.
    Honeycrisp apples are great apples, but Jonagold apples are best apples. Honeycrisps make for sub-par pie.
    Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • Finding a good .22 LR round for long range accuracy is a pain in the butt. Damn you trans-sonic instability! *shakes fist at physics*
  • Someone tells me DHL international shipping is cheap?
  • Someone tells me DHL international shipping is cheap?
    Maybe so, but I just got through trying to sort out an international student's package that was stuck in customs. For things going into the US at least, anything that the FDA oversees is a pain in the ass to ship to someone with no social.