This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• Don Draper could pull off a fedora if he wanted to, though. I have yet to see anyone from the internet that can pull off an Old Timey Hat of any sort without looking like a bit of a tool.
  • edited October 2012
    The problem with trying to pull off almost any period fashion item is that it is doomed to look odd if you don't fully contextualize it by also adopting period hairstyle, facial hair, clothing, facial expression/mannerism, etc etc etc

Absent those things, people hyperfocus on the single anachronistic item and it can't help but look odd even if it would look good if it were a new, novel thing without any "baggage" of historical context.
    Post edited by muppet on
    MOUSE DEER?!
  • His nose grosses me out.
  • There was a bit of a hazing ritual in the produce department involving eating a raw habanero when I worked there. Personally, I don't think a raw pepper in that category of hot is ever a good idea in itself, but unlike my coworkers I knew what I was getting into. I took a paper towel, picked it up, bit it off and swallowed. Basically, I didn't want to touch the thing or get it all over my lips. Worked relatively effectively. My tongue still burned like fuck, but I survived.
  • edited October 2012
    Yes. If you contextualize, it looks good. See:

Versus:

Ladies, please hold your orgasms.
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • Not that I don't disagree with these comparisons, you have to admit that Chase Gordon is an outlier no matter you compare him to. :P
  • Not that I don't disagree with these comparisons, you have to admit that Chase Gordon is an outlier no matter you compare him to. :P
    Truth. He's an outlier to outliers.
  • Looked up the four horseman burger, and I was somewhat alright with it up until they put raw chunks of ghost pepper on it. Why? Why would you do that? Not a ghost pepper sauce, or a ghost pepper chutney or something reasonable... but just hey, have some fucking pepper on there too?
  • Some men just like to watch the world burn.
  • Apparently in iOS 6, Apple changed the color theme of the phone keypad from light text on a dark background to dark text on a light background.
  • I've seen iOS 6 on my wife's iPhone recently and I can say there's nothing in it that makes me regret switching to Android.
  • Fun fact: Most university degrees in the past required at least one "toughen up" elective.

A few examples are "Firmly Grabbing Scorpions 101," "Introductory Being Beaten With Rusty Steel Pipes" and "Contemporary Issues in Chugging Glass Shards."
  • Just for reference, are beanies considered hats?
  • Spicy foods release endorphins and serotonin.
  • Just for reference, are beanies considered hats?
    No, they're beanies.
  • Well the only other time I wore a hat besides a baseball cap was when I was Alex DeLarge for two years ago.
  • Well the only other time I wore a hat besides a baseball cap was when I was Alex DeLarge for two years ago.
    You became a different person for two years ago? How does that work, are there forms to fill out?
  • I really want "for two years ago" to become proper grammar and mean something. I love how that sounds.
  • edited October 2012
    I really want "for two years ago" to become proper grammar and mean something. I love how that sounds.
    Future past tense. It's common when Time Machines were invent.
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • I'm going to was there.
  • edited October 2012
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • So I'm thinking of changing my legal name to Doctor Tyrannosaurus Rex. Good idea? Or should I just start calling myself that and keep my legal name as Aria? In which case, on what things would I still be required to put in my legal name?
  • edited October 2012
    What if women get paid less not because of discrimination but because as a demographic, they're poor negotiators? Should we increase the salaries of poor negotiators with federal laws? Are published, per-position salary ranges, rather than set figures, inherently discriminatory to begin with against anybody who is bad at selling themselves? What about federal regulations regarding salary for beta males, or anybody who isn't very articulate, or has poor self esteem, or any other reason that someone might receive less pay that is not directly related to their job qualifications?
    Post edited by muppet on
  • What if women get paid less not because of discrimination but because as a demographic, they're poor negotiators? Should we increase the salaries of poor negotiators with federal laws? Are published, per-position salary ranges, rather than set figures, inherently discriminatory to begin with against anybody who is bad at selling themselves? What about federal regulations regarding salary for beta males, or anybody who isn't very articulate, or has poor self esteem, or any other reason that someone might receive less pay that is not directly related to their job qualifications?
    Easy answer: Collective bargaining.
  • Simple. All salaries in all companies should be public to all employees of said companies.
  • Simple. All salaries in all companies should be public to all employees of said companies.
    I said this yesterday! Stop stealing my ideas.
    I said this yesterday! Stop stealing my ideas.
    Prove it.