This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• Simple. All salaries in all companies should be public to all employees of said companies.
    I said this yesterday! Stop stealing my ideas.
    I've said this for years. I've never bought into the salary taboo.
  • edited October 2012
    Can you prove he stole it?

Edit: True facts: http://whatyouseewhenyoudie.ytmnd.com/

Or at least I want it to be.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I make about $130k a year, not counting variable pay like bonuses or equity.
  • I make 75K in Connecticut, but I have a GED and haven't actively pursued a higher salary in almost 10 years.
  • edited October 2012
    I make about $130k a year, not counting variable pay like bonuses or equity.
    Sweet poop. I make $50k, but in SC where that buys a lot. Our household income is well into 6 figures though, near what Rym makes.
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • Rym, you make literally twice what I do. Niiiiice. ^_^
  • Our household income.is over 150k, but it feels like less each year.
  • Our household income.is over 150k, but it feels like less each year.
    Yeah, my wife's salary is almost entirely eaten by student loans. It sucks. Ah well, we are also young. I have a lot of time to make more money, and realistically I make more than I can spend anyway.
  • edited October 2012
    Medical bills, poor decisions, and other emergencies have put us pretty deep in credit card debt, but it's not the worst thing ever, it just holds us back.

I'm far more concerned about rising gas and food prices. And the fact that my teen needs orthodonture and I have no idea where that money is coming from.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Yeah. We still manage around 1 vacation a year to Europe, where we can dream about living in a sane country with good food.
  • Move further north, we're more sane.
  • Or West. We're fun!
  • Godamn I need to get the demo of my game out there for more playtesting but life is way too busy... :(
  • I could probably get a better salary too. Trust me, I really want to get out of SC. It's not easy, though.
  • where you live matters a lot to your income. I think my job in another state i would make around 30k less.
  • What do you do?
  • Who are you asking? I'd rather not give TOO many random details out on a public forum. I want to make the trolls have to at least do a Google search.
  • edited October 2012
    develop software, I make $85k right now but I've been out of school for less than a year and live in Seattle.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I don't about your Sean. I already know EVERYTHING about you. Chase and I share secrets.

I was talking to Matataatatatatatatatatatatatatatat.
  • Our devs make something like $20-$30k less than that to start, yeah.
  • I don't about your Sean. I already know EVERYTHING about you. Chase and I share secrets.

I was talking to Matataatatatatatatatatatatatatatat.
    Hah. Chase has no idea what I do, he assumes I am a shoe salesman or something.

• edited October 2012
    Yeah had I stayed at the place I interned I would be making $65k, but I could also rent an apartment for $350 a month (and have nothing to do ever)
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Yeah had I stayed at the place I interned I would be making $65k, but I could also rent an apartment for $350 a month (and have nothing to do ever)
    Yup. That's how it goes.
  • edited October 2012
    My salary is a matter of public record:

http://seethroughny.net/payrolls/executive/

Look for "Olsen, Peter." They screwed up the Agency entry for two of the years. You can see my salary history since 2008. 2012 isn't done yet, so that information isn't in yet; my current pay rate is $54,790.

So, in short: fuck you, Rym.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • So: fuck you, Rym.
  • Rym nearly makes, in one year, what I made from 2008 to 2011 combined. In fact, if you count that variable pay, I bet it's on par.

Wow.
  • RymRym
    edited October 2012
    Compared to people of similar experience and qualifications, I'm considered underpayed in this industry... I'm surrounded at all sides by people who make substantially more than I do.

Also, if I were a dick, I could probably leave where I'm at (a company I actually care about!) and clear an extra 50-60k with some big bank or hedge fund.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • What I make is embarrassing for comparison. Life's comfortable though.
  • Rym nearly makes, in one year, what I made from 2008 to 2011 combined. In fact, if you count that variable pay, I bet it's on par.
    Wow.
    I learned this lesson a few years back. Don't compare yourself to other people based on salary.

Look at Rym? Does this look like a man whose money buys him happiness?

That's the first Rym I found in GIS.
  • edited October 2012
    Rym is an outlier. Also:
    So: fuck you, Rym.
    Also you can find my salary in one of these tables: http://www.opm.gov/oca/12tables/html/sea.asp

:P Also notice that our rates have been frozen since 2010 so you can imagine how happy I am about that.

Edit: What others have said. I currently am living comfortable, but have to budget even more because my partner is currently looking for steady work. I'm still sitting pretty and am currently looking for advancement opportunities.
    Post edited by Rochelle on