This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• edited November 2012
    The way past and the future are a little hard to read (future far more than past) because of strange old words and futurespeak respectively.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • So a colleague at work today listened to the album Omen by Soulfly for the first time, which he got from someone else. The first track on the album is called "Bloodbath & Beyond", which he found incredibly funny despite not knowing about the "Bed Bath & Beyond" chain until I told him about it. Not sure if that is good or sad.
  • "Let's go find a dead body."
    "And fuck it!"
  • I went to Goatse.cx fully prepared for it to still be the same and for this to all be a prank. I'm now planing to convince people lemon party followed suit.
  • I went to Goatse.cx fully prepared for it to still be the same and for this to all be a prank. I'm now planing to convince people lemon party followed suit.
    Dude, it turned into an imgr competitor months ago.

Dude, it turned into an imgr competitor months ago.

Goatse or Lemon Party? Don't want to check either at work for obvious reasons.
  • Tubgirl is a video host now.
  • AmpAmp
    edited November 2012
    Pitch idea for web series; Alexander the Great and Ptolomy's adventures in the new world. With Alexander being shown as a cross between a frat boy and spoiled child and Ptolomy as his long suffering "minder". This is not to far from the truth depressingly.
    Post edited by Amp on
  • Received an email requesting a commission of my Die Hard Christmas Cross Stitch yesterday. I politely declined. I don't have time to do that at the moment. If they messaged me a month ago, perhaps. I offered to give them the pattern and if they can do it or find someone to do it, then it's all good.
  • Sometimes you have to take the initiative. Sometimes you have to take back the country. Sometimes you have to tell your own story. Sometimes you have to shoot the story teller in the neck.
  • Just discovered in 2008 I vowed to name my dog Cash Warren after the man who got Jessica Alba pregnant.
  • Buying a first edition novel (of one of the first books my Dad ever read to me) that I've arranged to have inscribed by the author to my father as his Christmas gift. I am nervous though, because I've never bought a rare book before and doing it online makes it a bit nerve wracking.
  • Wow, you know, I thought Big Bang Theory was funny. But now I realize how boring it is and how terrible some of the characters are. *goes off to write a script for a youtube video*
    Sir, I wish to present you this blog: http://butmyopinionisright.tumblr.com/post/31079561065/the-problem-with-the-big-bang-theory
  • I'm about a decade late to realizing that there is a canadian territory called Nunavut.
  • I'm thinking of becoming a Freemason. It's interesting, and I like the core concepts. I just may not have enough free time, and also might be disqualified because I consider myself agnostic.
  • I see you more as a Stonecutter. =P
  • My friend comes from a long line of freemasons. It seems pretty sweet.
  • I'm agnostic but I can fake being a Christian.
  • Posting this again, just because.

• That's a good reference, thanks.
  • Spirit day at BLS. We don't get a whole week, just a day. It always kinda scares me. The huge crowds all in uniform, the masses shouting unintelligible slogans; as I type, I'm skipping the pep-rally. Haven't gone since Eighth Grade. Makes me feel like I'm at the Nuremberg Rallies.
  • edited November 2012
    Posting this again, just because.
    There are several flaws with that chart. First of all, it conflates knowledge with 100% certainty; the two are quite different, and agnosticism/gnosticism is about knowledge rather than certainty. Knowledge is something that people do have in the real world, while 100% certainty is basically unjustifiable with regards to anything.

Secondly, it conflates certainty with the possibility of certainty (or knowledge with knowability) - whether or not it is possible to be certain with regards to this issue is a separate question from whether you yourself are certain. It's true that the term "agnosticism" can be used to refer to both cases - i.e. that something is unknown, or that it cannot be known - but it doesn't help to conflate the two in a single diagram.

As a quick demonstration of the second flaw, you can believe that, in the diagram's own words, "it is possible to be 100% certain" that there is a God or Gods, while lacking that certainty yourself.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I'm thinking of becoming a Freemason. It's interesting, and I like the core concepts. I just may not have enough free time, and also might be disqualified because I consider myself agnostic.
    You can always call yourself a deist (i.e., there was a Creator, but he pretty much just created the universe, set the laws of nature into motion, and then took a 13+ billion year vacation without doing anything else, ala Thomas Jefferson and the like). All they care about is that you believe in some sort of "Great Architect of the Universe," and they don't really care the nature of your belief or whatnot.
    You can always call yourself a deist (i.e., there was a Creator, but he pretty much just created the universe, set the laws of nature into motion, and then took a 13+ billion year vacation without doing anything else, ala Thomas Jefferson and the like). All they care about is that you believe in some sort of "Great Architect of the Universe," and they don't really care the nature of your belief or whatnot.
    That's what I'm seeing. I also know a fair number of freemasons, some of whom are actually atheists. I'm gonna have to visit the local lodge to see what the guys are like there.

As I said, though, the point may be moot because I don't have time. If only I could actually join the French Freemasons instead of the American ones, I really like the cut of their jib.
  • Posting this again, just because.
    There are several flaws with that chart. First of all, it conflates knowledge with 100% certainty; the two are quite different, and agnosticism/gnosticism is about knowledge rather than certainty. Knowledge is something that people do have in the real world, while 100% certainty is basically unjustifiable with regards to anything.

Secondly, it conflates certainty with the possibility of certainty (or knowledge with knowability) - whether or not it is possible to be certain with regards to this issue is a separate question from whether you yourself are certain. It's true that the term "agnosticism" can be used to refer to both cases - i.e. that something is unknown, or that it cannot be known - but it doesn't help to conflate the two in a single diagram.

As a quick demonstration of the second flaw, you can believe that, in the diagram's own words, "it is possible to be 100% certain" that there is a God or Gods, while lacking that certainty yourself.
    The point is that when you apply the label of agnostic/gnostic to a person, it is a descriptor of their epidemiological stance. If you call yourself agnostic, you have said nothing about whether you personally believe in god(s).
  • edited November 2012
    The point is that when you apply the label of agnostic/gnostic to a person, it is a descriptor of their epidemiological stance. If you call yourself agnostic, you have said nothing about whether you personally believe in god(s).
    Breaking news: agnosticism/gnosticism describes someone's stance on the effects of disease on populations of organisms!
  • The point is that when you apply the label of agnostic/gnostic to a person, it is a descriptor of their epidemiological stance. If you call yourself agnostic, you have said nothing about whether you personally believe in god(s).
    Breaking news: agnosticism/gnosticism describes someone's stance on the effects of disease on populations of organisms!
    Only if you say in a sentence that "X is (a)gnostic on the effects of disease on populations of organisms." If you simply say "X is (a)gnostic" with no further context, then it does not.
  • edited November 2012
    The point is that when you apply the label of agnostic/gnostic to a person, it is a descriptor of their epidemiological stance.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology
  • The point is that when you apply the label of agnostic/gnostic to a person, it is a descriptor of their epidemiological stance.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology
    Oh shit. I typed epistemology. Then spell-correct fucked me.