This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• Yeah I thought that New York had everything one could possibly want. The Hudson looks find for a quick trip.
    Yes, but further upstate. I don't live on the Hudson, I live on the East River.

The New York bay area. I dunno what you New Yorkers call it.
  • Yeah I thought that New York had everything one could possibly want. The Hudson looks find for a quick trip.

Its a river is it not? Quit shit talking and get out there. Carpe Jetski.
  • I really can't understand your surprising umbrage with my not being willing to pay for something I will not actually use.
    It was embellishing on the fact that started to grind on me, even if you were to suddenly have it without worrying about money. I'll have to give it another listen to be fair, but I don't get why you would not just give it high priority. If it's simply because you don't have time to play it, spending ten minutes explaining about how you would never play it no matter the circumstance felt unneeded.
  • RymRym
    edited January 2013
    ...I don't get why you would not just give it high priority. If it's simply because you don't have time to play it, spending ten minutes explaining about how you would never play it no matter the circumstance felt unneeded.
    Why don't you give Quake 2 Weapons Factory and Twilight novels high priority?

So, you're mad to the point of really appearing to care about this, that I spoke at length about a problem in the game industry using myself as an extreme example of the underlying cause?

Your umbrage remains surprising. You're surprisingly heated about insignificant minutia. Why are you so invested in this? This one tiny thing?

Post edited by Rym on
  • Turbotax didn't ask me about selling a car, so I'm assuming I don't have to report that as a short term capital gain.
  • Some googling tells me that something probably isn't a capital gain unless it's from something that can be considered an investment.

I guess that means a car probably wouldn't qualify unless it was an antique.
  • ...I don't get why you would not just give it high priority. If it's simply because you don't have time to play it, spending ten minutes explaining about how you would never play it no matter the circumstance felt unneeded.
    Why don't you give Quake 2 Weapons Factory and Twilight novels high priority?

So, you're mad to the point of really appearing to care about this, that I spoke at length about a problem in the game industry using myself as an extreme example of the underlying cause?

Your umbrage remains surprising. You're surprisingly heated about insignificant minutia. Why are you so invested in this? This one tiny thing?

The XCOM discussion is simply a part of one of the issues I have with the podcast, as people have been been talking about in this thread. It's the judgment that came off as overbearing, which happens in the occasional episode when you talk about mainstream games.
  • RymRym
    edited January 2013
    The XCOM discussion is simply a part of one of the issues I have with the podcast, as people have been been talking about in this thread. It's the judgment that came off as overbearing, which happens in the occasional episode when you talk about mainstream games.
    Judgement of what? I said straight-up that XCom was great. What was I judging?

Post edited by Rym on
  • Just read through the post-reboot control alt delete comics. I think it's improved from what it was before. Thoughts?
  • Just read through the post-reboot control alt delete comics. I think it's improved from what it was before. Thoughts?
    Improved, yes, good, not really. I had a bit of a flick through, and it seems a bit weak and predictable - any stand-out strips?
  • The XCOM discussion is simply a part of one of the issues I have with the podcast, as people have been been talking about in this thread. It's the judgment that came off as overbearing, which happens in the occasional episode when you talk about mainstream games.
    Judgement of what? I said straight-up that XCom was great. What was I judging?

It was that even if the perfect game that came out that is totally up your alley in terms of respecting an old property and a completely good game at that is still a game you would not play at the time of it's release, even if you were to get it for free. It comes off as ridiculously high standards. And even if time, money and availability is key, why does a game like Hotline Miami get a full play through and review?
  • Because Hotline Miami takes a few hours to play through at least once, and Xcom takes far longer, closer to 20-30 hours at least?
  • Because Hotline Miami takes a few hours to play through at least once, and Xcom takes far longer, closer to 20-30 hours at least?
    But that would still throw off the backlog of entertainment, wouldn't it?
  • It was that even if the perfect game that came out that is totally up your alley in terms of respecting an old property and a completely good game at that is still a game you would not play at the time of it's release, even if you were to get it for free. It comes off as ridiculously high standards. And even if time, money and availability is key, why does a game like Hotline Miami get a full play through and review?
    First, Hotline Miami was an incredibly short game, and further had very short atoms of play: I could trivially squeeze in a quick map and then move on to something else. One can't sit down, play X-Com for 10 minutes, and move on with any degree of satisfaction.

I waited a fucking year to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and I love the ever-living shit out of that game. You want to know why I played it when I did? I had the flu, and was home sick for three days. I played through the whole game then in one straight shot.

Secondarily, Hotline Miami was also not nearly as widely known, and I wanted to expose more people to it. A review of something odd and fresh that isn't as widely covered is more interesting to me than just saying the same things about an AAA game as a dozen other media outlets.

Third, Hotline Miami can be reviewed in whole with very little time spent, while X-Com requires multiple full playthroughs to be able to discuss in depth. Even if we'd played it day one, we wouldn't have reviewed it too deeply for a while.

Fourth, my whole point was that the gaming/entertainment market is deeply saturated. In an environment like that, shorter, more succinct works get far more traction due to their lower opportunity cost.

Fifth, Hotline Miami was getting a little controversy and buzz, and I wanted to see what the deal was. With X-Com, I knew exactly what to expect.

Your umbrage with my personal queue of entertainment remains surprising.

• Improved, yes, good, not really. I had a bit of a flick through, and it seems a bit weak and predictable - any stand-out strips?
    I don't think so. But nothing that stands out as good or bad is better than I remember it.
    But that would still throw off the backlog of entertainment, wouldn't it?
    From a pragmatic perspective? They're orders of magnitude different in terms of opportunity cost.

Also, my main deep-commitment games right now are Netrunner (a pretty spanking new game) and skiing.

• My umbrage has now been quelled.
  • edited January 2013
    Ahhh I want to start skiing again so bad, I just need to find a good weekend to go to Stevens Pass and see if it's any good.

Also look how much better than Scott this cat is at skiing

Post edited by MATATAT on

Its a river is it not? Quit shit talking and get out there. Carpe Jetskem.
  • AmpAmp
    edited January 2013
    Post edited by Amp on
  • Yeah for what ever reason it wasn't showing up/
  • Crazy storms hitting Georgia with tornadoes. In January.
  • edited January 2013
    Crazy storms hitting Georgia with tornadoes. In January.
    It's been a weird year.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • My MacBook Pro doesn't have USB 3 nor Thunderbolt. External hard drives feel like they are getting slower due to larger and larger media files. I have Firewire but that adds 100 euro to the price of any hard drive. I'm considering replacing the optical drive in my MacBook Pro with a huge non-SSD hard drive, then buying an external Blue-Ray reader/writer. That should only set me back about 200 euro.
  • Fuck, I forgot Neil Armstrong had died. Now I'm sad all over again.
  • My dad after editing my Ward Fellowship (internship at state gov.) application essay: "You wrote a great piece of Jacksonian rhetoric."
  • edited February 2013
    tar

Surely "tar --help" is the obvious answer? It's a valid command, after all.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I feel like "tar --help" falls under "No googling." Obviously, they don't mean "googling" literally - we'd all agree that a Bing search wouldn't be allowed, nor would "man tar".

Anyway, -xzvf (obviously depends on the file, but .tar.gz is pretty common). The v (verbose) isn't strictly necessary, but I feel like a badass when I type in a UNIX command and all the words go flying by.
  • edited February 2013
    I feel like "tar --help" falls under "No googling."
    That's not the point - you're not using "tar --help" to look up how to use tar; you're using it because it's a valid usage of tar.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on