This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• I realize all these distinctions, and yet could not find any fucks to give.
  • edited May 2013
    Although that said, I generally just call things "list" and use deque functionality when I need it. :P
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Yeah, but the fact he specifically named a list queue and then used it as a stack gave everyone in the office a giggle.
    Maybe we're all just going crazy from porting other people's games...
  • Oh, I definitely agree that you need consistent naming conventions. 99% of English speaking programmers call a stack a "stack," and the other 1% are probably writing data structures textbooks where they only call it a "LIFO queue" with a line along the lines of "a stack is a LIFO queue that..."

Oh, and like Linkigi, I generally use deques almost all the time I need list functionality. Although, there was a benchmark I read about a couple months back that showed that even when it comes to insertions/deletions in the middle of the "list," std::vector and std::deque are often faster than std::list if you're using small enough elements and your list itself is small enough. The reason has to do with CPU caching, where since vectors and deques are contiguous (or nearly contiguous), you can keep their entire contents in the CPU cache, whereas lists could be spread out all over the memory hierarchy and are far more likely to result in performance hits from cache misses.
  • I'm not usually using C++, but yes, I'm sure you're right.
  • Maybe we're all just going crazy from porting other people's games...
    This is a thing I could understand.
  • Maybe we're all just going crazy from porting other people's games...
    This is a thing I could understand.
    You don't even know. We're porting Unity games from their original devices to new devices and ZOMG people's code is confusing.
  • edited May 2013
    That's not confusing it's job security. Make your code so confusing that others can not edit it and you create a certain level of security for yourself.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • That's not confusing it's job security. Male your code so confusing that others can not edit it and you create a certain level of security for yourself.
    That only works to a certain point. At some point, they'll decide that your old code is such shit that it's cheaper to fire your ass and rewrite it properly from scratch.

• Also, sometimes your code will leave your company and be used by people who can't contact you.
    (Note: I am said person who can't contact the original writer of the code if I am confused)
  • Was this linked on the forum recently?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worse_is_better

Relevant to why a lot of successful software may be shit from a programmers perspective.
  • Most people would interpret "queue" without any qualifiers to mean a standard FIFO queue. It's clearly a terrible name for a stack.
  • Most people would interpret "queue" without any qualifiers to mean a standard FIFO queue. It's clearly a terrible name for a stack.
    Exactly, though I thought I already said this... It's also why I wondered if the programmer's first language wasn't English -- maybe he learned "stack" as something else and could only come up with "queue" for some silly reason.

• edited May 2013
    I don't know what language the game's original programmer spoke.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • I'd just assume that he wasn't keeping things in mind and was thinking of it as a "queue" of whatever variable he was putting in there, even if it he was using it like a stack.
  • While slightly drunk at a party tonight, I wrote a song called Negative Sperm Count. It's probably pretty bad that I'm proud of that.
  • While slightly drunk at a party tonight, I wrote a song called Negative Sperm Count. It's probably pretty bad that I'm proud of that.
    So they have so little sperm that they're actually sucking the sperm out of any other male they come close to?
    So they have so little sperm that they're actually sucking the sperm out of any other male they come close to?
    Is that how Mog-Pharau works?
  • I was just told on the White Wolf forum that a roleplaying game exploring transgenderism and/or bigenderism would be both impossible and automatically offensive.

._.
  • I was just told on the White Wolf forum that a roleplaying game exploring transgenderism and/or bigenderism would be both impossible and automatically offensive.

._.
    Why are you on the White Wolf forum? I've never known a single White Wolf player who wasn't a horrible human being. I'm suspecting you might be horrible, but your avatar is the opposite of that.

._.
    I wonder how they feel about games that deal with bestiality and necrophilia?

._.
    I wonder how they feel about games that deal with bestiality and necrophilia?
    Probably like this:
  • Why are you on the White Wolf forum? I've never known a single White Wolf player who wasn't a horrible human being. I'm suspecting you might be horrible, but your avatar is the opposite of that.
    I use the Fate system to play in WW's Exalted setting (transhumanist shounen fighting greek tragedy!), sometimes (and In a Wicked Age, a few times as well). And there's a Kickstarter for a new edition of that game, so I was looking around. People there are shitheads, I guess.

Never actually played World of Darkness.

(Totally Guy has an account there too!)
  • Lets be honest, a lot of folks played a game or two of Vampire: The Masquerade during their brooding teenager phase. It's basically Teenage Angst: The Game. You have to make allowances for youthful inexperience.
  • Lets be honest, a lot of folks played a game or two of Vampire: The Masquerade during their brooding teenager phase. It's basically Teenage Angst: The Game. You have to make allowances for youthful inexperience.
    I wouldn't consider someone who played a game or two of something a true player of that thing. It's the ones who routinely play it over an extended period of time that are the players.
  • edited May 2013
    Hey, I played in a Mage game over the last summer, and will probably play another one this summer. I'm pretty sure I'm not horrible in that way.

Although I am inexperienced and so a shit roleplayer.

Anyways, it's very easy to piss people off with a game exploring those themes, but it's certainly not unavoidable. Just make sure you have someone with experience keeping tabs on you and helping you with things.

tl;dr: That person is probably a jackass anyways.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Where can I get an Earthbound hat and shirt (ness). My daughter needs a cosplay on the cheap.
  • Shirt and hat
    I checked them. Hat is out of stock.