This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• edited June 2013
    It's missing an old New England term you sometimes still see: Tonic.
    Also dumb and incorrect.

Here's the full article of regional difference language maps in case anyone's interested. Some of them are downright infuriating. How is it possible to pronounce Mary and merry the same way, but marry differently!? Wisconsin and Rhode Island, it's a water or drinking fountain, not a "bubbler."
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The best one is the sandwich one and drive thru liquor store.
  • drive thru liquor store.
    I smell a business opportunity.

• edited June 2013
    It's missing an old New England term you sometimes still see: Tonic.
    Also dumb and incorrect.
    Uh, no, Neito is correct. He's a New Englander, as am I, and I assume you are not.

Tonic is an old-fashioned term for soda in New England, and it is distinct from tonic water, which even old timey New Englanders know is basically fizzy water with quinine (or something similar tasting) added to it.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • edited June 2013
    People in Kentucky are the most wrong. "You all" is the worst possible for of "y'all". As for "pecan", I pronounce it "PEE-can pie", "pick-AHN tree", and "pee-KAHN (the nut itself)". It's also completely missing mudbug for crayfish.

What the maps show really clearly is how backwards Florida is. Geographic south = cultural north (because of all the old folks that come here to die in the warm).

There are a lot more, less pretty maps to be found here.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • edited June 2013
    People in the midwest, also dumb. It's soda.
    Hey pal, fuck you. It's pop.

EDIT: In all seriousness, "soda pop" is a pretty common turn of phrase in Chicago, and I accept either term. "Coke" is right out, though.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited June 2013
    Yankees are fucked up.

Also
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Apple slaw? That is a new one for me.
  • edited June 2013
    Someone saying slaw is equivalent to someone saying 'za to me. If it's unironic I'll probably stop talking to you.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • It's missing an old New England term you sometimes still see: Tonic.
    Also dumb and incorrect.

Here's the full article of regional difference language maps in case anyone's interested. Some of them are downright infuriating. How is it possible to pronounce Mary and merry the same way, but marry differently!? Wisconsin and Rhode Island, it's a water or drinking fountain, not a "bubbler."
    Southern MA has bubblers, too.

And as Lou mentioned, Tonic is a very archaic term for a soda in New England.

Other little known facts: What you probably call a milkshake (Ice cream, milk, and maybe some syrup blended) is actually called a frappe in New England. While you can get a milkshake as you expect it in NE, a frappe is an unambiguous term for it.
  • There's a neighborhood in Rochester called Chili. It's pronounced "chai-lai." Every year they have a chili festival (pronounced "chilly" like you're supposed to) in which no chili is actually served.
  • Rochester: Trollin' since always.
  • edited June 2013
    I always pronounced it "chilly." People would correct me - "You eat chili; you live in Chili" - and I would tell them they were wrong.

They still are.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I mean, that's just the way the name is pronounced. The people who named the land got to choose that. XD
    It's not their fault the English language is inherently ridiculous.
  • There's a neighborhood in Rochester called Chili. It's pronounced "chai-lai." Every year they have a chili festival (pronounced "chilly" like you're supposed to) in which no chili is actually served.
    Firstly, It's a village outside of Rochester, not a neighborhood in Rochester. Secondly; I always have chili at Chilifest. If they aren't going to serve any then I'll damn well bring my own. Chili (the food) is serious business, especially when it's on a white hot with a nice slice of sharp cheddar cheese.
  • edited June 2013
    I would consider Chili a neighborhood by this point, in the same way that I consider Williamsburg a neighborhood of Brooklyn (It was once a village, too). In fact, I would contend that the metropolitan area of Rochester extends all the way down to the West Henrietta Institute of Technology (though any more southern than that and you're in the suburbs).
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Someone saying slaw is equivalent to someone saying 'za to me. If it's unironic I'll probably stop talking to you.
    You must really fucking hate southerners.
  • edited June 2013
    Yankees are fucked up.
    Not necessarily. As mentioned with "apple slaw," there are different kinds of slaw out there other than just coleslaw. It's like referring to all sodas as "Coke."
    Southern MA has bubblers, too.

And as Lou mentioned, Tonic is a very archaic term for a soda in New England.

Other little known facts: What you probably call a milkshake (Ice cream, milk, and maybe some syrup blended) is actually called a frappe in New England. While you can get a milkshake as you expect it in NE, a frappe is an unambiguous term for it.
    "Bubbler" tends to be used all along the RI border as well as RI. We called them bubblers were I grew up in southeastern MA (the strip between RI and Cape Cod), although I always preferred to call them "drinking fountains" personally.

Oh, and in Rhode Island, another word for a milkshake is a "cabinet." You can still sometimes seem them listed as such on the menus of RI-based ice cream chain Newport Creamery.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on

• Not necessarily. As mentioned with "apple slaw," there are different kinds of slaw out there other than just coleslaw. It's like referring to all sodas as "Coke."
    Or saying just "soda". What is it? Baking soda, washing soda, soda bread, soda water, or soda the soft drink?

TELL MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Also, the south calls it "coke" because we pretty much invented the modern soft drink industry with Coca-Cola in the late 19th century. It wasn't until much later that there were more offerings than coke available and it just stuck with the vernacular.

• Except that we use the phrases "baking soda," "soda water," and "soda bread." "Soda" on its own refers to the soft drink. The issue with using "coke" to refer to all soft drinks is that it either means "Coca-cola" or "soft drink," with no way to distinguish up front. Results in ambiguity.

Stop trying to justify your terrible dialect. Using multiple modal words in a sentence? Who the fuck does that? "Used to could" is the most egregious abuse of language since Gatsby.

• Not necessarily. As mentioned with "apple slaw," there are different kinds of slaw out there other than just coleslaw. It's like referring to all sodas as "Coke."
    Or saying just "soda". What is it? Baking soda, washing soda, soda bread, soda water, or soda the soft drink?

TELL MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    As TWS said, when we talk about the other kinds of "soda," we always use the other words associated with it, like "baking, water, bread," etc. Kind of like how in New England among old timers, when they just say "tonic," they mean a carbonated soft drink, but when they want to mean fizzy water with quinine in it, they always say "tonic water."
    Also, the south calls it "coke" because we pretty much invented the modern soft drink industry with Coca-Cola in the late 19th century. It wasn't until much later that there were more offerings than coke available and it just stuck with the vernacular.
    Actually, Dr. Pepper's about a year older than Coke, so you're wrong there as well.
  • Also, the south calls it "coke" because we pretty much invented the modern soft drink industry with Coca-Cola in the late 19th century. It wasn't until much later that there were more offerings than coke available and it just stuck with the vernacular.

Congratulations. You invented a viable medium to ingest cocaine, but when the government said that was "illegal," you retconned it into the shittiest cola. What an achievement. Certainly something worth replacing a real word like "soda" with in celebration of.
  • edited June 2013
    Actually, Dr. Pepper's about a year older than Coke, so you're wrong there as well.
    Note that I said industry. I know that Coca-Cola wasn't the first every carbonated soft-drink, but were certainly the first to advertise and market the product as an everyday consumable good. They created the model for everyone else. It's also why they now own the Dr. Pepper brand as well.

Post edited by Andrew on
  • Coke is the best cola. Pepsi is for plebs, and RC is for poor people. I won't even mention Faygo.
  • Actually, Dr. Pepper's about a year older than Coke, so you're wrong there as well.
    Note that I said industry. I know that Coca-Cola wasn't the first every carbonated soft-drink, but were certainly the first to advertise and market the product as an everyday consumable good. They created the model for everyone else. It's also why they now own the Dr. Pepper brand as well.

Dr. Pepper beat Coca-Cola to the punch there as well (i.e. marketing as an everyday consumable good), although I'll give you that Coca-Cola was more successful when they picked up the ball and ran with it. Coca-Cola also only owns the Dr. Pepper brand outside the US. Inside the US its owned by the Dr. Pepper Snapple Group, a fully independent company.
  • Coke is the best cola. Pepsi is for plebs, and RC is for poor people. I won't even mention Faygo.
    Did someone mention Faygo?

• Coke is awful. It's horridly sweet.

Red Bull cola is the only truly good cola I've ever had.
  • Too bad they don't make it any more. It was pretty damn good.
  • edited June 2013
    I have an empty can of red bull cola on my desk at work.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Coke is awful. It's horridly sweet.
    It leaves like a gross sugary film in my mouth for a couple hours too.