This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• Coke is the best cola. Pepsi is for plebs, and RC is for poor people. I won't even mention Faygo.
    Did someone mention Faygo?

Ah, to be 14 again.

• Fenteman's curiosity cola is good but I'm more a fan of citrus sodas and their fermented lemonade is the business.
  • edited June 2013
    Coke > RC Cola > Pepsi

The best cola based softdrink is cola syrup on crushed ice. Carbonated water optional.

Best cola drink is a Cuba Libre with plenty of lime.

Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • It's all about Adirondack Cola!
  • edited June 2013
    "Bubbler" tends to be used all along the RI border as well as RI. We called them bubblers were I grew up in southeastern MA (the strip between RI and Cape Cod), although I always preferred to call them "drinking fountains" personally.

Oh, and in Rhode Island, another word for a milkshake is a "cabinet." You can still sometimes seem them listed as such on the menus of RI-based ice cream chain Newport Creamery.
    All you said of bubblers is true. When I moved to Rhode Island from Watertown, MA, They thought it was weird that I called it a water fountain.
    Also, now you have me jonesing for an Awful Awful from Newport Creamery. There was one down the street from my house and I use to bike there all the time to get some fries and a cabinet. Also ice cream.

Edit: DAMMIT! Now I'm craving Papa Gino's again...
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • And now I'm craving some alcoholic milkshakes.
  • Yeah, the Bristol County, MA area (Fall River, New Bedford, Dartmouth, Westport, etc.), where I grew up, culturally is probably more similar to Rhode Island than it is to the rest of Massachusetts. It's even technically considered part of the Providence, RI media market. A small sampling of the things it has in common with RI would be:
    • Lots of Portuguese immigrants and folks of Portuguese descent (RI has the highest percentage of Portuguese-Americans in the country and Bristol County has the highest percentage in Massachusetts)
    • Newport Creameries
    • Calling "drinking fountains" "bubblers"
    • Coffee milk (with some of the coffee syrup plants actually located in Bristol County, MA)
    • Going to Providence when going into "the city" (mostly because Providence is actually closer than Boston and provides ample opportunity for good restaurants, concerts, shows like Ice Capades and the Ringling Brothers Circus, etc., without having to deal with Boston traffic)
    There's probably even more that I can't think of off-hand.

Oh, and Papa Gino's is arguably the best chain pizza place around here, if not one of the best ones in the country. At least my wife, who's originally from the Washington, DC area, thinks so when comparing it to Domino's, Pizza Hut, Papa John's, etc. We prefer the mom-and-pop pizza places, but Papa Gino's is our fallback if we can't find one easily.
  • edited June 2013
    The only two common American phrases that really bother me are "Chai tea" and calling the beef stew that 99% of Americans cook "chili".
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Is that how you spell it? I always thought it was "chilly" which didnt make sense to me because it's so spicy BLECH
  • The only two common American phrases that really bother me are "Chai tea" and calling the beef stew that 99% of American's cook "chili".
    I've never seen a chili like that. In fact, most of the chilis I have are chicken chilis.
  • edited June 2013
    American's
    !
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited June 2013
    I've never seen a chili like that. In fact, most of the chilis I have are chicken chilis.
    Oh, I make plenty of foul based chilis, but people rarely make a proper chili regardless of the protein. A chili should not be overly soupy, never use minced meat, and should have very few veggies (a couple onions as most). Some people add tomatoes, but I don't think they really have a place in the dish.

Oh yeah, one more thing.

NO FUCKING BEANS.

Post edited by Andrew on

• Oh yeah, one more thing.

NO FUCKING BEANS.

• Oh yeah, one more thing.

NO FUCKING BEANS.
    So... hot sauce?

• I've never seen a chili like that. In fact, most of the chilis I have are chicken chilis.
    Oh, I make plenty of foul based chilis, but people rarely make a proper chili regardless of the protein. A chili should not be overly soupy, never use minced meat, and should have very few veggies (a couple onions as most). Some people add tomatoes, but I don't think they really have a place in the dish.

Oh yeah, one more thing.

NO FUCKING BEANS.

NO BEANS? Sorry. Beans are the greatest.
  • That's fine, but then you aren't making chili my friend. Have fun with your stew.
  • edited June 2013
    That's fine, but then you aren't making chili my friend. Have fun with your stew.
    The Mirriam Webster dictionary, Dictionary.com, Wikipedia, and the American heritage dictionary all disagree with you.
  • A chili without beans is like pure human feces.
  • edited June 2013
    Personally, I believe that if you're not mixing equal parts dried beef, dried chiles, and suet, then mixing it into a large ball and letting it dry, and then boiling it in a pot of water when traversing the American Mid-West, then you, my friend, are NOT making chili, but merely some sort of beefy watery bean slop.
    Post edited by johndis on
  • edited June 2013
    That's fine, but then you aren't making chili my friend. Have fun with your stew.
    Chili is a type of stew.
    Personally, I believe that if you're not mixing equal parts dried beef, dried chiles, and suet, then mixing it into a large ball and letting it dry, and then boiling it in a pot of water when traversing the American Mid-West, then you, my friend, are NOT making chili, but merely some sort of beefy watery bean slop.
    That actually sounds delicious.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited June 2013
    Chili is a type of stew.
    Sure, but the dominant flavors are meat and a stock thickened by the gelatin from meat bones. Beans only serve as a filler, along with a dominant presence of vegetables. The reason why most people add beans is that they are trying to add texture when they utilize minced meat instead of proper cuts. It takes me a good day to cook a decent chili, if you can throw shit in a pot and cook it for an hour and think you are done, you fucked up.

I should have clarified that most people make a soupy chili that is clearly sub-par.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Taking a whole day to cook chili sounds like some namby pamby shit for a fancy North city boy. I gotta boil this balla dried up beef and fat and then get hittin the trails, that land ain't gonna settle itself.
  • I don't care if the "throw shit in a pot and cook it for an hour" is chili or not, but it's easy to do and tastes just fine.
  • edited June 2013
    Chili is a type of stew.
    Sure, but the dominant flavors are meat and a stock thickened by the gelatin from meat bones. Beans only serve as a filler, along with a dominant presence of vegetables. The reason why most people add beans is that they are trying to add texture when they utilize minced meat instead of proper cuts. It takes me a good day to cook a decent chili, if you can throw shit in a pot and cook it for an hour and think you are done, you fucked up.
    Since you seem to be very knowledgeable about chili preparation, I have two questions:
    1. What sort of cuts would you recommend?
    2. If the bits are bigger than finely ground, how do you get it to stay on the hot dogs?

edit: One more question; Who adds vegetables other than onions to their chili?
  • Chili is a type of stew.

I should have clarified that most people make a soupy chili that is clearly sub-par.
    Soupy chili should be punishable by death.

A well-done chili will use beans for flavor, to complement the meats. I use cubed beef, sliced chorizo, and black beans. Delicious.
  • edited June 2013
    Since you seem to be very knowledgeable about chili preparation, I have two questions:
    1. What sort of cuts would you recommend?
    2. If the bits are bigger than finely ground, how do you get it to stay on the hot dogs?

how do you get it to stay on the hot dogs?

hot dogs

To answer your first question, if you are using beef I would choose a cut that is well marbled with a high fat content such as a brisket. Shanks or rib eye would also work. Cut your meet into large cubes. After enough time simmering, the meat should just flake and fall apart if you should feel the need to place on top of some sort of vulgarity.
    A well-done chili will use beans for flavor, to complement the meats. I use cubed beef, sliced chorizo, and black beans. Delicious.
    I just really have to disagree with the beans. They take away from the main flavor components and just don't add any major benefit to the dish. I usually add some sort of ground pork such as chorizo and then deglaze my pan with bourbon to add to my main pot.

For example, this is why my final chili looks like.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • That looks terrible, probably tastes bad too. Crappy chili dude. It's poo poo IMO
  • That looks terrible, probably tastes bad too. Crappy chili dude. It's poo poo IMO
    You need a new shtick.

• It amuses me that coleslaw and chili have been talked about over the past couple of days and just now hotdogs are being mentioned with both being common toppings for it. Both are almost always at their worst at that time so I guess it should not be a surprise.
  • WHO PUTS COLESLAW ON HOT DOGS?