This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• This thread has gone full ratchet.
  • I thought it'd gone full retard.
  • edited November 2013
    Boston Mayoral election day is tomorrow. Many of my friends are voting, but I'm still too young. As such, I'll be wearing one of my grandfather's "Bradley for Mayor" pins. It was the only one for a mayoral election, so I had to choose between it and the ones that don't reference office (ie, "Wallace is a Winner" or "Vote Nixon," and yes, [George] Wallace and Nixon were the only two with ambiguous enough buttons, so I obviously wouldn't go with that option).

EDIT: Clarification of George Wallace, not Henry. Henry I would support.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Don't you think that might confuse people if there isn't a Bradley running?

It's not a great joke, but it'll get some of the history teachers to laugh, and that's all I can hope for for any of my jokes, really.
  • The Art of War(Hammer).
  • The compulsion to attempt social experiments on an online community is hard to resist.
  • So, yesterday CCSU was locked down for hours and multiple SWAT teams and absurdly militarized state police were deployed...

...because some dude returned to the campus on Monday afternoon after an all-weekend Halloween party where he wore camo pants and a tactical vest with a fake Samurai sword tucked into it.

Students reported that the scary black man "was walking like he had an agenda".

What amounts to military troops secured the campus and the costumed aggressor was charged with Breach of Peace which is Cop for "you embarrassed us so we have to charge you with something."

What the fuck, guys.

Twitter of course was full of CCSU students claiming to have seen 3 active shooters and fearing for their lives. To their credit, there were at least a few hecklers who thought the whole thing was ridiculous.

A big scary black truck with police lights mounted all over it nearly rear-ended me on my afternoon commute and I had to brake and cut the wheel to get out of his way to go arrest a dude for wearing scary pants.

A 28 year old ex-cop, now a senior at the University, reported that he could clearly see a black automatic pistol holstered in the black tactical vest of the crazed killer from hundreds of feet away. He's been quoted extensively by the media.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-ccsu-lockdown-1105-20131104,0,3821716.story

It's absolutely amazing that nobody got shot by the amped up police and military, so at least they've got THAT going for them.

If they had, it would have been blamed on the kid with the plastic gun.

Check out image 12 in the slideshow. This is what state police look like now.

Note that the only ones who brought dangerous and deadly weapons onto the campus were scores of overreacting law enforcement personnel.
  • Considering the kinds of people who go to CCSU, I can't say I'm surprised.
  • I'm arguing with some girl on twitter (@kaitlin_dunn) who's super indignant that anyone dares to question the school's response.
  • Rym said:

I'm arguing with some girl on twitter (@kaitlin_dunn) who's super indignant that anyone dares to question the school's response.

Careful, she called you an idiot!

• She ran out of ways to say an irrational emotional response was the right move.
  • People want to defend their group blindly because they don't want to face the embarrassment that accompanies a stupid decision.
  • It really serves him right for walking around all black like that.
  • Considering the rise of school and campus shootings as of late I'm not totally surprised, but still draw a heavy sigh at the state of affairs.
  • I think at the point you've "solved" the problem of a deadly weapon on campus by adding hundreds more, I don't think you can really point to recent events as justification.

The 24 hour news cycle has rendered the average human being totally incapable of reasonable threat assessment.
  • Just more examples of the rise of the police state.
  • Nobody liked Slappy the Squirrel? Nobody? Yeeesh...

I fucking loved Slappy the Squirrel when I was younger.
  • You'll love her even more now, me thinks.
  • I couldn't resist, I had to reply to Kaitlin. Stupidity like that just burns. I'm disappointed in the college professor from CCSU she's quoting now who said that you can NEVER be too vigilant. Oh really?!
  • edited November 2013
    For someone who is supposedly receiving a degree in Human Psychology you'd think she'd be able out-debate Rym on an issue of human psychology. But instead she just said he was an idiot.
    Post edited by MATATAT on

Who doesn't like her? Well maybe the name of the group....what was their name again....
  • MATATAT said:

For someone who is supposedly receiving a degree in Human Psychology you'd think she'd be able out-debate Rym on an issue of human psychology. But instead she just said he was an idiot.

Human Physiology. I think she's studying to be a physical therapist or a trainer or something.
  • Ah you're right. Well that makes more sense.
  • edited November 2013
    Oeillades is my new favorite word. It means amorous/romantic gaze. I'll be using it every chance I get.

EDIT: pronounced "uh jades"
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Just got to vicariously relive discovering FTL by listen to an old Geek Nights episode.
  • So I am going to be appearing on the Dice Tower's Network of Podcasts, does anyone have any good insults for me to drop?
  • The 'Whos online' bar on the side is strange.
  • edited November 2013
    http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-ccsu-lockdown-1105-20131104,0,3821716.story

Police official says they have "only heard praise" for their ludicrous overreaction on Monday. Also they continue to harass Kyem and attempt to discredit and defame him in order to avoid being held accountable for their nonsense and gross waste.

Seems like some seriously selective listening is going on here, to me.

Oh and as a bonus, the ex-cop CCSU student (why ex, again?) is AGAIN quoted as being able to see a black gun in a black vest from hundreds of feet away. Take a drink!
    Post edited by muppet on