This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• What else did you expect Muppet, really?
  • Muppet, can you give me a source on the ex-cop CCSU student actually being hundreds of feet away? I'm not seeing it in either of the articles you posted.
  • Dinosaurs live alongside humans with the use of "containment fields", which essentially have the effect of transforming them into humans.

However, a terrorist group manages to seize a device that can disable these containment fields, and they begin to use them in terrorist attacks, with disastrous consequences.
  • You have my attention...
  • edited November 2013
    And, I presume, there must be only one man who has the power to stop the terrorists and their dino menace?
    His name is Joel.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Banta, I guess I can't oblige. I think I just intuited that from the various very incomplete accounts that are out there. It seems to me that if he had been anywhere near the guy he'd have recognized that the sword and gun were fake and that the whole thing was a lousy Halloween costume.

The only thing Kyem has to be embarrassed about here is that his Snake Eyes costume was AWFUL.
  • Well, that, and the fact that he lives in a country that tacitly despises him.

That's pretty embarrassing.
  • To be fair, the way that he was dressed (including a baclava) would have made it pretty hard to determine his race very easily.

But overall, yeah, I agree with you.
  • Sitting across from Cremlian, last night: "You wiggle a lot, like Rym does."
    Me: "He does wiggle... wait, have I been doing that, too?"

Lost a series of Shaping challenges, got a long-term memory.
  • pence said:

Sitting across from Cremlian, last night: "You wiggle a lot, like Rym does."
    Me: "He does wiggle... wait, have I been doing that, too?"

Lost a series of Shaping challenges, got a long-term memory.

Meanwhile in my office I was like -_-
  • You have my attention...

It came to me in a dream, so I haven't thought it through any further yet. It just seemed like a solid enough fantasy setting to bother posting somewhere.

And, I presume, there must be only one man who has the power to stop the terrorists and their dino menace?
    His name is Joel.

• Caught up on Silver Spoon chapters; how does a comic full of teenagers coming to grips with the harsh reality of the world and the uncertainty of their future never fail to make me smile like a doofus?
  • Banta said:

Caught up on Silver Spoon chapters; how does a comic full of teenagers coming to grips with the harsh reality of the world and the uncertainty of their future never fail to make me smile like a doofus?

Manga can be rather like that. The absolute, no-competition best relationship manga I've ever read, and possibly one of the only manga I've read to make me tear up like a bastard? Nana to Kouru, a series about a pair of 17 year olds exploring life, who they are, and BDSM.
  • One of these days I'm gonna fly off the handle on my coworker. He is one of the worst programmers I've met. He also knows that I'm better and is very vocal every time I make a small mistake despite the multitude of times I've caught the most blatant errors in his code.
  • edited November 2013
    Churba said:

Banta said:

Caught up on Silver Spoon chapters; how does a comic full of teenagers coming to grips with the harsh reality of the world and the uncertainty of their future never fail to make me smile like a doofus?

Manga can be rather like that. The absolute, no-competition best relationship manga I've ever read, and possibly one of the only manga I've read to make me tear up like a bastard? Nana to Kouru, a series about a pair of 17 year olds exploring life, who they are, and BDSM.
    Nana to Kouru is so good. It's "quality" and also quality, very much like Masturbation Master Kurosawa.

I keep coming back to that one for some reason. Weird.

Post edited by Banta on
  • I just tested every Thing of the Day ever. Here are the HTTP status code results. ERR is a connection error. TIM is a timeout (5 seconds).

ERR: 28
    200: 1116
    301: 445
    302: 51
    303: 7
    TIM: 21
    403: 16
    404: 149
    405: 6
    503: 2
    500: 4

Also, keep in mind that many of the 200s are YouTube videos that don't exist. YouTube likes to give you a 200 and then a page that says "this video no longer exists" or "the user has taken this video down" or "copyright, fuck you."
  • edited November 2013
    Ugh, I hate it when error codes are used erroneously. Don't send me a 200 with a response object with an error message in it, dumb youtube api.

EDIT: Scott, maybe write a script that tests them every month or so, and redirects bad urls to google searches of the TotD title? Not the best solution to an ethereal world, but an ok workaround.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Got into an argument with my folks over going to a chiropractor and getting homeopathic treatment for a pulled neck muscle that's been bothering me for a few weeks. They were upset I'd seen a doctor and gotten a perscription instead. Our argument could be summed up as follows.

Them: Chiropractors! What humans have used before modern medicine!

Me: Not a licensed medical doctor! SCIENCE!

Them: I am disappoint.

Me: As am I.

Thanksgiving's going to be fun this year.
  • Point them at the origin story of chiropractic.
    It was invented by a con man
  • Rym said:

Point them at the origin story of chiropractic.

So was the LDS Church, but the LDS aren't going anywhere.
    If they're sane they'll listen, if not you're in for a bad time.

• I'm pretty sure Smith was just skizophrenic. I don't see how he benefited from LDS. I mean, look at all the bullshit he went through to defend and protect it. No con man would be that dedicated to his con.
  • edited November 2013
    L. Ron Hubbard. QED.

But in all seriousness, Jospeh Smith was a con artist before he founded the LDS Church, whether he remained one is another question. and talking about benefits? He had many followers who rendered scripturally required tithes to him as well as having many wives as required by his new faith. There are loads of other fringe benefits from being an authority figure. How did he not benefit from founding the LDS church?
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • GreyHuge said:

QED.

Inigo Montoya.jpg
  • Greg said:

GreyHuge said:

QED.

Inigo Montoya.jpg
    Greg, I am getting a degree in physics, under my universities pre-professional program. I am also halfway through a math minor. I know what QED means.
  • GreyHuge said:

But in all seriousness, Jospeh Smith was a con artist before he founded the LDS Church, whether he remained one is another question. and talking about benefits? He had many followers who rendered scripturally required tithes to him as well as having many wives as required by his new faith. There are loads of other fringe benefits from being an authority figure. How did he not benefit from founding the LDS church?

I'd say the getting kicked out of everywhere he went until he was killed for his faith part was kind of a boon. As far as prophets go he had it pretty lavish, but he had to live a nearly nomadic life in order to maintain those tithes and wives (which is a great name for a Mormon concept album), with frequent assaults on himself and his followers.
    GreyHuge said:

Greg said:

GreyHuge said:

QED.

Inigo Montoya.jpg
    Greg, I am getting a degree in physics, under my universities pre-professional program. I am also halfway through a math minor. I know what QED means.
    I might not then. I only know the meaning of the Latin. Isn't it supposed to be [thing] QED [what is being D'ed]?
  • edited November 2013
    Greg said:

GreyHuge said:

I'd say the getting kicked out of everywhere he went until he was killed for his faith part was kind of a boon. As far as prophets go he had it pretty lavish, but he had to live a nearly nomadic life in order to maintain those tithes and wives (which is a great name for a Mormon concept album), with frequent assaults on himself and his followers.
    ...You think he was killed for his faith? He was killed in a riot that was caused by his own successful destruction of a newspaper that said he practiced polygamy and intended to set himself up as a theocratic king (The first being definitely true and the second being probably true). He didn't die for his faith, he died because he was an asshole.
    Greg said:

GreyHuge said:

Greg said:

GreyHuge said:

QED.

Inigo Montoya.jpg
    I might not then. I only know the meaning of the Latin. Isn't it supposed to be [thing] QED [what is being D'ed]?
    In modern physics and mathematics journals in English speaking countries, QED is placed at the end of the proof and signals the end of the proof. When translated it means roughly "Which had to be demonstrated" which makes perfect sense to me at the end of a sentence. Are we really debating my snarky but proper use of QED?
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • Not really an argument, just me being poorly informed. I've never read math and science journals, so my only point of reference for the phrase was its use in Ciceronian rhetoric.
  • Banta said:

pulled neck muscle

I can't imagine my parents interfering with how I deal with injuries.

It must be quite frustrating.

You're more likely to become a quadriplegic at the hands of a chiropractor.
  • Welcome to Hell, weather's great here so pull up a chair, have a cold beer. You can live by the sea, so happy you'll be with your cobblestone tree.
  • Rym said:

Point them at the origin story of chiropractic.

Doctors will sometimes recommend chiropractors or a masseuse for physical injuries since massaging of muscles most definitely can help with injuries. It's like a different form of physical therapy. The problem is that most chiropractors are out to get you on a routine of coming in so they can nab your money.