This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• I need to scale back my tobacco consumption. To "none."
    I'm doing that as we speak. Shit is currently hurting. urgh.
    I'm doing that as we speak. Shit is currently hurting. urgh.
    I'm just uncomfortable with how I went from being nervous about the nicotine buzz from the flake I smoke to enjoying it with a glass of bourbon. It's a dangerous vice.

In other news, for some reason my dumbfuck cat decided it would be a good idea to stop six feet short of her litter box and instead utilize the tile floor. I walk around the house barefoot at night. Goddamn fucking cat.
  • Does anyone know offhand if Best Buy or other electronics retailers will install a graphics card for you for a fee?
  • I'm catching up on Fast Karate, and Dave is talking about banh mi (Vietnamese sandwiches). Now, I'm craving it and can't stop thinking about it. My day will not be complete if I don't have banh mi today.

Perhaps I can convince Jeremy to bring me some for lunch.
  • Does anyone know offhand if Best Buy or other electronics retailers will install a graphics card for you for a fee?
    They will, but that's a waste of money. It's a trivially simple operation.
  • I'm catching up on Fast Karate, and Dave is talking about banh mi (Vietnamese sandwiches). Now, I'm craving it and can't stop thinking about it. My day will not be complete if I don't have banh mi today.

NYC Banh Mi is the shit. One of the best value per dollar lunch I've found.

NYC Banh Mi is the shit. One of the best value per dollar lunch I've found.
    What makes it even more difficult is the different types they offer. Whatever you choose it's going to be delicious. I'm always conflicted when I look at the menu.
  • What makes it even more difficult is the different types they offer. Whatever you choose it's going to be delicious. I'm always conflicted when I look at the menu.
    Just keep going back until you've had them all.
  • edited December 2010
    I'm not sure I want that sardine one. I like sardines, but a sardine hero might be too much.
    As someone who works near Canal St, Banh Mi is a very common lunch item for me. It is yummy and cheap!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • What makes it even more difficult is the different types they offer. Whatever you choose it's going to be delicious. I'm always conflicted when I look at the menu.
    I normally always get the special which is with some sort of meat I'm not 100% sure what it is, but it's so good. Perhaps I'll try the spicy chicken or broiled pork.

I always enjoy eating banh mi with soup, mostly tomato basil.
  • Fuck, Hammerfight is an addictive game. Little steampunk flying helo things wrecking shit with hammers, axes, and maces.
  • New engine break-in threads have to be the funniest flame wars ever. There's so much nerd rage, but no one ever has any real data to back up anything they say.
    I normally always get the special which is with some sort of meat I'm not 100% sure what it is, but it's so good. Perhaps I'll try the spicy chicken or broiled pork.

I always enjoy eating banh mi with soup, mostly tomato basil.
    Little Vietnam is one of the best things about Orlando. So much cool/delicious stuff for so little. When in doubt about the meat on a Vietnamese sandwich, it's probably some manner of pork. It is indeed the best food for money you can get, even if it is a little out of the way.
  • Little Vietnam is one of the best things about Orlando. So much cool/delicious stuff for so little. When in doubt about the meat on a Vietnamese sandwich, it's probably some manner of pork. It is indeed the best food for money you can get, even if it is a little out of the way.
    Yeah, I figured it's pretty much pork.

What also conflicts me is that everytime I go into the restaurant, I start smelling the delicious smells of pho. I've never had pho and am always curious to try it. I start to think that maybe I should have pho instead of banh mi, but then I won't have banh mi and I originally came in for that. Argh!
  • Pho's delicious, so get both! Eat your noodles now and save your sammich for later.
  • Pho's delicious, so get both! Eat your noodles now and save your sammich for later.
    I think I might do that now, since we got 2 hour authorized early dismissal. I will have pho for lunch and banh mi for later on in the day.

Any suggestions for the pho? Just a basic brisket? I really don't care for tripe.

• Jack Black invented the prospect known as "The Cosmic Shame." Why doesn't he follow it though in terms of his movies?
  • Any suggestions for the pho? Just a basic brisket? I really don't care for tripe.
    I'm a big fan of fish balls myself.
  • I'm a big fan of fish balls myself.
    But you gotta harvest so many fish to make a meal, it's not worth the effort.
  • I start to think that maybe I should have pho instead of banh mi, but then I won't have banh mi and I originally came in for that.
    This mirrors my constant shawarma vs falafel quandary.
  • This mirrors my constant shawarma vs falafel quandary.
    Solution: both.
  • This mirrors my constant shawarma vs falafel quandary.
    Solution: both.
    This is why we are fat.
  • This is why we are fat.
    Half falafel and half shawarma. Yet another problem solved!
  • edited December 2010
    This is why we are fat.
    Half falafel and half shawarma. Yet another problem solved!
    You earned it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Lately I feel like I'm 14 again in certain ways. WTF, libido? Leave me alone once in a while. I have work to do.
  • Lately I feel like I'm 14 again in certain ways. WTF, libido? Leave me alone once in a while. I have work to do.
    Been having this problem myself. >_>
  • "Dear Penthouse." That is all.
  • In a further development in the gawker hack story, it turns out they also have an odd little problem with non-latin characters in passwords.
    I discovered that, after creating an account with the password 'ДДДДДДДД', I was able to successfully log in by typing '簡簡簡簡簡簡簡簡,' as well as 'ႤႤႤႤႤႤႤႤ', '©©©©©©©©'. It turns out that any string of exactly 8 characters whose unicode code point is >= 128 will be accepted. I've looked carefully at the implementation of crypt in PHP and across several platforms I tried, this is not a library problem-somehow your server is converting all of the non-ASCII characters to some fixed value prior to calling crypt() with them. It is worth noting that 'ДДДДДДДx' is not accepted when 'ДДДДДДДД' is the registered password-so a check is still being done. However, if 'ДДДДДДДx' is the registered password then '©©©©©©©x' is accepted. The most plausible explanation I can come up with is that your code is mapping all non-ASCII characters onto some canonical character (maybe �), and thus ignoring the actual character value in the hash. I'd be
    curious to see exactly how/where in your stack this occurs.
  • I start to think that maybe I should have pho instead of banh mi, but then I won't have banh mi and I originally came in for that.
    This mirrors my constant shawarma vs falafel quandary.
    Well I finally had pho. I had the one with steak and flank. It was so delicious. I will have to go back again.

Tonight banh mi!

@Jason, I always have that problem with greek food. Luckily at my favorite greek place, they have a combination platter that has falafel, schwarma, tabouleh, salad, hummus, and what not.