This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• Oh man, if those two ever lived together, the forum would be alight!
  • While I don't like having to iron my clothes, I find it extremely relaxing to do so.
  • I have a feeling in my loins that PAX Prime tickets are coming this week. The time just feels right.
  • I had that feeling last week. I continue to have that feeling.
  • edited May 2014
    I now have a "need" for a dual band wireless N router.

Up to now my home internet has been maxed out at 20mbps but I just upgraded it to 45mbps! Yet... The router supplied by my ISP only provides the full 45mbps via the ethernet jacks on the router! It is a single band wireless N router ?!?!?!?!?

Granted I only have three devices capable of connecting to a 5GHz signal (Nexus 4, gaming laptop and possibly my PS4.)

Edit: PS4 does not support dual band.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Well, that's pretty cool - my bank now allows me to do NFC payments with my phone, without requiring a special case or any of that nonsense.
  • I'm just doing some more accounting and paperwork stuff, and it seems, for tax reasons, I'm due a new laptop. Or, to put it another way, the laptop I bought in 2010 has come to the end of its useful life, according to the German tax office and their rules.
  • Churba said:

Well, that's pretty cool - my bank now allows me to do NFC payments with my phone, without requiring a special case or any of that nonsense.

Is that Westpac and Samsung only devices?

Seems weird that they went with one specific company.

I'm jealous.
  • sK0pe said:

Churba said:

Well, that's pretty cool - my bank now allows me to do NFC payments with my phone, without requiring a special case or any of that nonsense.

Is that Westpac and Samsung only devices?

Seems weird that they went with one specific company.

I'm jealous.
    Not Samsung only, it'll work with any android that has NFC, as far as I know - but, Samsung devices are the most popular android handsets here.

Plus, iPhones don't have NFC, so that kinda rules them out.

• I'd always wondered how Japanese and Chinese typewriters worked. The short answer is: slowly.
  • The convention center is big enough. Another attached hotel would help, though. But they should really spend the money on adding restaurants.
  • edited May 2014
    Well, the expansion plan also includes adding additional hotels to the area. No idea if that also means more restaurants, however.
    Supporters said the convention center in the South Boston neighborhood, which opened in 1997, isn't large enough and doesn't have enough adjoining hotel rooms to attract many large-scale national and international meetings, causing Boston to miss out on more than a dozen big events each year.
    The proposed expansion would increase by more than 50 percent the facility's current 2.1 million square feet of total space and allow three new hotels to be built, giving Boston one of the five largest convention centers in the U.S., supporters said.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Know what's great about shooting left-handed? I don't need to reach over the gun to reload.
  • If Google is pro net neutrality why do they treat people differently based on how they access youtube?
  • The media companies and device providers demand it.
  • Any person in congress that has negative comments about the VA, but were in the house during the war and didn't approve more money for the VA to prepare for the influx of new veterans, EABOD.
  • Rochelle said:

Any person in congress that has negative comments about the VA, but were in the house during the war and didn't approve more money for the VA to prepare for the influx of new veterans, EABOD.

Preach on, sister!
  • There is a guy at my gym that looks exactly like Scott, just super ripped.
  • Evil twin has been spotted once again!
  • I forgot how short and easy to read anything by Jim Butcher is.
  • Banta said:

I forgot how short and easy to read anything by Jim Butcher is.

Oh yeah, Skin Game came out on the 27th. I should get a copy of that.
  • Shit goes down in the shire, be ready for it.
  • People are fucked up, y'know that?
  • Oh, I know.
  • Guy who quit highschool at year 10, has come back to University in his late 20's, believes in creation by intelligent design is trying to argue that blu ray backups of data in 2 different places are better than mirroring to a server backup or cloud backup.

He also believes he will be able to write code that will demonstrate what he wants software developers what to do with a very basic knowledge of javascript.

Guy is really nice but is really, really mislead or stupid.
  • I am procrastinating about studying Maths by writing code that would solve all the answers for me.
  • sK0pe said:

Guy who quit highschool at year 10, has come back to University in his late 20's, believes in creation by intelligent design is trying to argue that blu ray backups of data in 2 different places are better than mirroring to a server backup or cloud backup.

It depends... Ideally you should at least have both some sort of local backup (whether mirroring to a server or storing on some other local media) and some sort of offsite backup (whether it consists of using a cloud provider or shipping media to an off-site storage facility). From a technical standpoint, blu ray backups of data in 2 different places is better than only having a server mirror or a cloud backup. However, if you have both a server mirror and a cloud backup, then it's more or less equal as it accomplishes the need to have a local and offsite backup.

One potential minor technical advantage to a blu ray backup is that the backups would be read-only by the nature of the format, but I consider this a nit.

There is also potentially a legal advantage to blu ray vs. cloud backups, but it depends on the laws where you live. In the United States, for example, any data that has existed on a cloud provider for more than six months or so is legally considered "abandoned" by current law, which means law enforcement, the government, etc., more or less has free access to that data without needing any warrants or anything by just showing up at the cloud provider's door and saying "we want that data." A blu ray backup stored at an offsite facility owned or leased by the data's owner would require a full search warrant to access, however. Of course, this issue can be mitigated somewhat by encrypting your data before you transfer it to your cloud provider.
    sK0pe said:

He also believes he will be able to write code that will demonstrate what he wants software developers what to do with a very basic knowledge of javascript.

Guy is really nice but is really, really mislead or stupid.

Okay, he does sound a lot more full of it on this second point.