This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• I agree with you Lou but I forgot to mention it was on the case of backing up family photographs.

When I worked and managed sensitive information I had a local server backup, a 2 portable backups offsite and encrypted data to the cloud.

However I used USB sticks rather than a Bluray disc, I didn't think of the read only portion and honestly didn't look up the laws regarding this as legally I had to protect all my client's data.
  • Yeah, USB sticks (or even USB hard drives) rather than bluray is just fine for doing non-cloud, media-based backup, if you don't need read-only protection. The only question is the cost per gigabyte (bluray may be cheaper if you have enough data), but otherwise it's a wash.
  • The correct question is: What's your threat model? Theft, fire, accidental destruction, accidental overwriting, etc.
  • edited June 2014
    sK0pe said:

I am procrastinating about studying Maths by writing code that would solve all the answers for me.

I had an extremely progressive math teacher in high school. He allowed us to program our TI-82 graphing calculators and use said programs on exams. I just programmed mine to do everything including showing the work. I handed in an exam in about 15 minutes of an hour test period. He pulled me outside and asked how I did it. I showed him my programs and he was super excited. He'd been allowing students to program them for as long as he'd been a teacher and he'd never had anyone actually stone up and do it.

More teachers need to do things like this.

Post edited by Dromaro on
  • Anyone know of a way to cheaply produce UPC codes?
  • I don't think I ever had a teacher in high school who didn't allow programs on calculators. Literally no one else did though. I never bothered having them do out work for me but in physics I always wrote the program in class while we were learning the material then used it for homework that night. TI BASIC was actually my first programming language, and was amazed at how nice things like local variables and functions are. Those were dark days.
  • Dromaro said:

sK0pe said:

I am procrastinating about studying Maths by writing code that would solve all the answers for me.

I had an extremely progressive math teacher in high school. He allowed us to program our TI-82 graphing calculators and use said programs on exams. I just programmed mine to do everything including showing the work. I handed in an exam in about 15 minutes of an hour test period. He pulled me outside and asked how I did it. I showed him my programs and he was super excited. He'd been allowing students to program them for as long as he'd been a teacher and he'd never had anyone actually stone up and do it.

More teachers need to do things like this.

That's pretty awesome, on both your parts. I would still say it doesn't quite teach you the "same" skill, but it's highschool... so it's not like you didn't probably already know all that business anyway.
  • I can't believe you were the first to program your calculator. All of the nerds in my school did it despite some teachers disallowing it on some exams. We shared those programs with all the other students.
  • edited June 2014
    Apreche said:

I can't believe you were the first to program your calculator. All of the nerds in my school did it despite some teachers disallowing it on some exams. We shared those programs with all the other students.

I went to high school in what was then technically considered a low income area. I lived in a middle income area so the fact I had a TI-82 at all was a rarity. My memory is foggy but if I had to guess, I'd say ~7 students out of about 30 had them. Most had standard nongraphing calculators, some none at all.

That said, I went to that school for two reasons: I was a legacy; brother and sister both went there and my parents knew all the staff and they knew me. Second, when the school had opened 5 years prior to my enrollment (and my brothers freshman enrollment) it was touted as a school that would allow students hands on time with technology. *gasp* Every teacher would have a computer in their room, there was a computer lab of about 30 machines, and a small bank of computers in the library. This servicing ~2700 students when I attended.

You can imagine how well that worked in execution.
  • In my high school almost every student had a TI-83, but badasses like me bought an 86 or something on our own. I think it was even required in some classes.

There were multiple computer labs in the school for various purposes. There were probably less than 1000 students across four years.
  • edited June 2014
    So you were in a better school than me. So what? What did that get you? Oh yeah, RIT. I got... dick. That's a different rant for a different thread and a different day... lol

This conversation has lead me to look into my old school. It has improved since I've been there but it's in no way approaching good.

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/california/districts/santa-ana-unified-school-district/century-high-3372

The overall enrollment is down and that's dropped the student:teacher ratio to a tolerable 20:1. It was roughly 30:1 when I attended.

Dat College Readiness Index... :-( 22.5 on a scale of 100. That's pathetic.

EDIT: Jesus Christ. The more I look, the more depressed I get. I went to a fucking shithole. I knew it was bad but not THIS bad.
  • I also went to a poor shithole school. Hurray!
  • Find your school on the site I linked. I want to he whose e-peen is.....smaller.
  • I am your king (of failure).
  • Apreche said:

I can't believe you were the first to program your calculator. All of the nerds in my school did it despite some teachers disallowing it on some exams. We shared those programs with all the other students.

I wrote a program that faked the screen from a memory wipe so that I could keep using my extensive set of programs on tests that disallowed them.

• Rym said:

Apreche said:

I wrote a program that faked the screen from a memory wipe so that I could keep using my extensive set of programs on tests that disallowed them.
    Ha! I had wrote a program to do this, but I never had to use it. It just centered the "memory wiped" text on the center and placed the cursor in the upper left?
  • I used to save the output of aystem audits into a text file and then wrote a program that would display those files one line at a time with each line set on a variable 1-10 second delay. Kept it running in a separate Unix term that I could quickly switch too when the boss came into my office.

On the other term was some text or ASCII based game.
  • Prometheus, the movie, is absurd. I only just watched it, but wow. How does this get made?
  • Apreche said:
    Ah, you went to Trumbull? Your school band and my school band had a bit of a rivalry back in the day...
  • Apreche said:
    Ah, you went to Trumbull? Your school band and my school band had a bit of a rivalry back in the day...
    Fuck marching band. I was in concert band in middle school and the first year of high school. There was really high pressure to push you into the marching band. I'm glad I didn't join it straight out of middle school because I was able to see that the marching band was a bunch of horse shit.

The first thing I noticed was that the band teacher kept them in band during lunch. Those kids never got time to eat properly. I would have walked out and gone to lunch as soon as the bell rang. Nowadays I walk out of work at 5pm sharp. I'm still the same person!

Also, I found out the marching band had a militaristic hierarchy. Some students were literally bosses of other students and could order them to do push-ups or what not. I wouldn't do a single push-up on command no matter who was telling me to.

It would not have gone well. So starting in tenth grade, no more band for me.
  • About marching band (at least, in my school).

1. Lunch was an optional period you could schedule (of the 8 periods per day). Marching band required two full periods. Since most of us didn't schedule a lunch, we were allowed to eat while we were setting up the field. Even if I hadn't been in marching band, I never would have scheduled lunch.

2. The militaristic hierarchy was a complete meritocracy. Skill at playing, marching, and/or leadership were the sole determiners of who was in charge.

3. Counted as a varsity sport if you were in the competition band.

I made people in my section who couldn't march the charts drill in the morning. If you were late to sectionals, I made you run laps around the field. (When I was late myself once, I ran the laps myself).
  • Also:

• Rym said:

About marching band (at least, in my school).

1. Lunch was an optional period you could schedule (of the 8 periods per day). Marching band required two full periods. Since most of us didn't schedule a lunch, we were allowed to eat while we were setting up the field. Even if I hadn't been in marching band, I never would have scheduled lunch.

2. The militaristic hierarchy was a complete meritocracy. Skill at playing, marching, and/or leadership were the sole determiners of who was in charge.

I made people in my section who couldn't march the charts drill in the morning. If you were late to sectionals, I made you run laps around the field. (When I was late myself once, I ran the laps myself).

At our school 5th period was an extra long period. One third of it was dedicated to lunch. Depending on where your 5th period class was located, you ate lunch in the first, second, or third third of the period. The band room was supposed to eat lunch in the third period. They always emerged from that room late, if ever.

I don't care who is in charge for what meritocratic reason. A high school kid should not be taking or giving such orders to anyone for any reason. It's not military school. You can take your laps and stick them where the sun don't shine.
  • Apreche said:

Fuck marching band. I was in concert band in middle school and the first year of high school. There was really high pressure to push you into the marching band. I'm glad I didn't join it straight out of middle school because I was able to see that the marching band was a bunch of horse shit.
    Sounds typical. In my high school, you couldn't be in concert band without being in marching band unless you had an excuse like you were in a sports team in the fall or something.
    Apreche said:

The first thing I noticed was that the band teacher kept them in band during lunch. Those kids never got time to eat properly. I would have walked out and gone to lunch as soon as the bell rang. Nowadays I walk out of work at 5pm sharp. I'm still the same person!

Okay, that is dickish. I somehow don't think that our band teacher would've done that. In our case, band was the last period of the day and we pretty much were free to go on home when the bell rang so long as there weren't any after school practices scheduled that day. Even then, we'd get like a 30 minute break between band and practice.
    Apreche said:

Also, I found out the marching band had a militaristic hierarchy. Some students were literally bosses of other students and could order them to do push-ups or what not. I wouldn't do a single push-up on command no matter who was telling me to.

Also typical. My band was kinda like that, though not quite to that extreme. There were "section leaders" that were kinda like the bosses, but the directors didn't tolerate hazing-style behavior like push-up orders and whatnot. Section leaders were pretty much limited to pointing out where the other students were screwing up and telling them to get their act together -- that sort of thing.
    Apreche said:

It would not have gone well. So starting in tenth grade, no more band for me.

Heh, I hear you to an extent. I took a year off band in 10th grade but rejoined in 11th.

Oh, and despite being a "kinder, gentler" band that was less ridiculously militaristic than yours (at least when I was in high school), we still beat your band in every head-to-head meeting we had with them. Goes to show that ridiculous militarism like that doesn't necessarily pay off. FWIW though, our drum majors did frequently how mention how "amazing" Trumbull was to motivate us to do better at practices.
    Rym said:

About marching band (at least, in my school).

2 and 3 were very similar to my band, from the sounds of it. Lunch wasn't optional at my school (though it was only 25 minutes or so long, if I remember correctly) and band only required a single 45 minute period of the day, though we had extensive after-school and weekend practices of 2.5-3 hours or so (not including band camp) throughout the year.
  • Apreche said:

I don't care who is in charge for what meritocratic reason. A high school kid should not be taking or giving such orders to anyone for any reason. It's not military school. You can take your laps and stick them where the sun don't shine.

What? Kids should definitely be taking and receiving some kind of authority. But not just the top, every kid should have some experience at being both responsible for and subordinate to their peers.
  • Apreche said:

What? Kids should definitely be taking and receiving some kind of authority. But not just the top, every kid should have some experience at being both responsible for and subordinate to their peers.
    The question is the nature of said authority. If you're a band section leader, for example, calling a kid out for not marching in time or being out of position while performing drill is acceptable so long as the calling out consists of things along the lines of shouting, "Left! Left! Left!" on the left step beat or reminding the kid to "make sure to look in your peripheral vision when performing a company front to stay lined up."

Push-ups, laps, etc., are way beyond what is appropriate.
  • If it's inappropriate, you let the "section leader" give his orders, then you discipline the "section leader" for failing to act properly in that role. Kids have to try and fail at leadership some too. To prevent all these god-awful half-adults that have no idea what the hell to do when they are suddenly given a position of authority.