This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• It's odd how I can tell that Japanese MLP is made by Americans. They speak better Japanese than I but their use of English is better than you would probably get were it translated and spoken by Japanese speakers.
  • edited August 2011
    Want something to get you into the mood for Season 2? Read This: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/06/story-sweet-apple-capers.html

Also, Pinkie Pie's Japanese Voice reminds me sooooooooo much of Aki Toyosaki.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • Fallout Equestria is AWESOME also it's so damn long, I swear it's pretty much a full length novel, chapter 29 here I come :D
  • Can't get it out of my head...like the first time I heard the "Cupcakes" tune.

• My podcast group were guests of honor at a local con, also did 3 panels.
  • It's odd how I can tell that Japanese MLP is made by Americans. They speak better Japanese than I but their use of English is better than you would probably get were it translated and spoken by Japanese speakers.
    Um, people can be bilingual and have multiple nationalities. They could very well be Japanese nationals who have lived abroad. Don't think all Japanese people have bad English.
  • edited August 2011
    It's odd how I can tell that Japanese MLP is made by Americans. They speak better Japanese than I but their use of English is better than you would probably get were it translated and spoken by Japanese speakers.
    Um, people can be bilingual and have multiple nationalities. They could very well be Japanese nationals who have lived abroad. Don't think all Japanese people have bad English.
    It's to do with the way words like Twilight aren't broken up as much. Even the people I met in and out of Japan who spoke fluent English had a certain way of saying English words similar to how words are used in the media. I suppose "Better" isn't the right word.
    Post edited by Omnutia on

• They have Airwolf in there! I love Airwolf!
  • It's to do with the way words like Twilight aren't broken up as much. Even the people I met in and out of Japan who spoke fluent English had a certain way of saying English words similar to how words are used in the media. I suppose "Better" isn't the right word.
    Fred does have a point - while someone may speak perfectly fluent english, nearly everyone has a pattern of word selection, placement and general sentence structure depending on where they're from, and it's a very hard pattern to get rid of.

For example, an American might say "I can't find anything in this fucking dark room!" whereas an Australian would be more likely to say "I can't find anything in this dark fucking room!" - just for a super basic and obvious example.
  • I'm liking the trend of showing all the weird places where Rarity was taken by her horn.

Steam knows too much.
  • That's a favorite. I love Nicolas Cage, both before and after he turned into Nicolas Cage.
    Inevitably, there's a pony version of it. A few scenes could have better sync but overall, fun.

Some pony fans have freakish video editing skills. As was said upthread, just another day in the MLP juggernaut.

Finally, I hope everyone has seen those Rubik's cube comics that are circulating. I don't want to break the thread by linking *all* of them, but yeah, those are great.
  • That there is some mighty fine Ponysona.
  • edited August 2011
    That there is some mighty fine Ponysona.
    I'd play some Ponysona. By day, you play the social link dialogue game with minor dating sim mechanics, making friendships with the townsfolk of Ponyville. By night, you venture into the Everfree Forest and use those friendships to fuel your magic to fight monsters in a really really shitty JRPG.
    Post edited by Xefas on
  • Off-topic time!
    I'd play some Ponysona. By day, you play the social link dialogue game with minor dating sim mechanics, making friendships with the townsfolk of Ponyville. By night, you venture into the Everfree Forest and use those friendships to
    fuel your magic to fight monsters in a really really shitty JRPG.
    It's not really really shitty. The battle mechanisms are fine there is just too damn much of it.
  • It's not really really shitty. The battle mechanisms are fine there is just too damn much of it.
    All I know is that, in addition to all the normal things that are terrible about the entirety of the JRPG genre, it also went one step further. In that it was quite possible to spend 2+ hours slogging through a dungeon crawl, with no opportunity to save your progress, and then enter into a battle in which an equal or lower level opponent would act first, and then one-shot your main character due to elemental weaknesses or via one of the many instant-death spells, which gave you an instant game over and wasted all that time without you being able to have any input as to the outcome.

The first time it happened, I thought it was a fluke. The third time it happened, I never played the game again. Which is sad, because I very much liked everything else about the game.
  • As a non-brony I've wondered often what the MLP-hubub is about so when I stumbled upon this text image attempting to explain I read it with great interest.

Now I have to wonder how accurate it speaks on behalf of the rest of the community. It's kind of a long read but it would be educational to get some of your opinions on it.

Also if this thing has already been posted I'm going to be embarrassed.
  • edited August 2011
    5:14

Remind you of anyone?
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • As a non-brony I've wondered often what the MLP-hubub is about so when I stumbled upon this text image attempting to explain I read it with great interest.

Now I have to wonder how accurate it speaks on behalf of the rest of the community. It's kind of a long read but it would be educational to get some of your opinions on it.

That's definitely a very /b/-centric perspective. There are some good points mixed in with some paragraphs about sexual proclivities and "having something missing" that are... uh... a little unusual.

My short explanation: I think the show overlaps very naturally with the anime and US animation fanbase. The tone will never be be to everyone's taste, but it does what it sets out to do very effectively and it shows a lot of thought and care in the design and animation. It has a well developed Harry Potter-ish setting, lots of classic Warner Brothers style slapstick, and well-developed, sympathetic characters. Don't think that most fans of the show are sitting around watching the show all day, by the way. I've watched all the episodes twice now over several months, and that's good enough for me, my time is limited and there's too much other good stuff out there. I wouldn't pay attention to the show in the offseason except that the fans are doing lots of interesting remixes and the show's impact on internet culture is fun to watch.

Interesting read, his introduction to the show exactly mirrors my own, with me deciding after episode 3 that it was a great watch and i was no longer watching this out of any form of 'ironic amusement'. That said, im not the kind of person he is, as would be expected, and my interests and the ways i take my fandom for the show differs. Being an artist has led me into very deep collaborations with MLPonline (an MMO (i say this in the most neutral way possible, being a dedicated geeknights listener), that is currently in dev. As such my interests for the show has become very academic and artistic, and not simply a form of mental crutch, if i may use such a term, akin to what the poster has described of himself

But certain universal themes of the show that attracted people remain the same and has already been hugely debated and made concrete, if you have yet to watch an episode, watch a few and maybe you'll see what i mean. How you take it from there is beyond my business really
  • edited August 2011

Click to make it bigger
    Post edited by Coldguy on

• Glad I wasn't the only one who thought this when I saw it.
  • edited August 2011
    [Twi teaching statistics]
    I hope I'm not the only one annoyed that the bottom left corner says "Isn't" instead of "aren't".
    Then again.... is 'statistics' singular or plural...? Maybe both?
    Post edited by Fett101 on
  • edited August 2011
    [Twi teaching statistics]
    I hope I'm not the only one annoyed that the bottom left corner says "Isn't" instead of "aren't".
    Then again.... is 'statistics' singular or plural...? Maybe both?
    In this case "statistics" means the study of statistics and is singular, because we don't have a word like statisticology.
    Also, that pony trailers guy has some more good stuff:
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Okay, you know what, those "ponies as instruments" vides are being made too quick. There has to be a way that it's been automated.

Maybe associate a video clip with a channel in a midi file and then compile the video with the pre-rendered track?
  • Well, you'd probably need to pick one clip for each "instrument," and then the score for the piece could direct a program for automatic pitch-shifting and length-cutting.

I, too, find it hard to believe that there isn't at least some degree of automation there.