This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• edited January 2012
    I saw the cider episode as an indictment against the lack of regulation in factory farming. The industrial Cider was made with the goal of speed and no quality control, leading to the inclusion of dangerous waste.
    And then all the ponies got e-coli and samples had to be sent to the FDA in Canterlot.
    (Not really!)
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Well, this episode was effectively the ballad of John Henry put into pony form, and I'm always in favor of episodes regarding the plight of the working pony in the face of rampant industrialization.

Also, you guys beat my to "Why didn't Applejack negotiate more?" and how the brothers would probably have still matched them had they not turned off the quality controls. Also, with as many sticks going through the machine as there were, why didn't the press get jammed up? (That said, having seen a commericial cider press, neither of the methods used make sense).

The song is at least my second- or third-favorite in the show so far, and the ending was the best by a long shot,
  • I saw the cider episode as an indictment against the lack of regulation in factory farming. The industrial Cider was made with the goal of speed and no quality control, leading to the inclusion of dangerous waste.
    And then all the ponies got e-coli and samples had to be sent to the FDA in Canterlot.
    (Not really!)
    What's odd is, the Flimflam brothers COULD have actually won even with their starting speed. Because at the end, it wasn't a narrow victory, they had a decent margin. We don't know if their cider was that good at the end, but they still had a chance if they didn't remove quality control.

But yeah, best ending ever and I'm glad Dash got her fucking cider. ^_^

• Norse Pony is cool pony.

• I think that it's kinda interesting how in the episode in a meta level the brothers are made to look like con artists, the name, the musical reference and just how they acted, but nothing in the story indicated that their cider (and thus their business) couldn't be good if they just would have operated the machine properly.
  • Yeah, all the focus was on capacity, and not on flavor until the end. The mistake both sides made was competing to see who could make more, as opposed to who could make better. In fact, the Apple family and Flim & Flam could have had a very mutually beneficial business model if the brothers weren't dicks about the profits.
  • Yeah, all the focus was on capacity, and not on flavor until the end. The mistake both sides made was competing to see who could make more, as opposed to who could make better. In fact, the Apple family and Flim & Flam could have had a very mutually beneficial business model if the brothers weren't dicks about the profits.
    Another problem i saw was just how easily the Apple Family stated that they would be literally out of business once they lost their share in the Cider market. Im sure they supply apples for many other uses. Applejack clearly stated that cider is their best market for the Winter, but how can one Winter, or losing market share for a season, ruin the entire family? They must be running a really tight ship.

Not to mention the zap apple jam and all that in previous episodes.

In the end i do agree that a mutually agreeable partnership with the brothers would had been most agreeable
  • Don't forget that they were not even meeting the cider demand at their existing price structure. The whole thing is a mess. There wasn't even a legitimate taste comparison for the non-tainted cider to give the viewer any information to confirm what Applejack "already knew" at the end! We need independant data!
  • edited January 2012
    And let's not forget that if your business model cannot survive healthy competition, then it's really a shoddy business model. The only thing keeping the Apple family in business was their de facto monopoly.

However, in the end, the free market still solved it.

MLP:FiM: secret Libertarian propaganda?
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited January 2012
    Why would the brothers end up owning the farm? The bet was the winner gets the right to be the only provider of cider in Ponyville. They never said they were giving them the farm.... The brothers even said we could split the profits 70/30 or something like that.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • Any one here have actually tried apple cider? It is like apple flavored beer?
  • edited January 2012
    No. To the beer question. Yes to Cider. How have you never had cider?
  • Apple Cider is just pressed apples. They dont filter it. When it is filtered then it is Apple Juice. Sometimes they add spices to it. Hard Cider is Apple Cider fermented like you would beer, but does not taste like beer.
  • Regular apple cider is yummy. I normally get the caramel spiced apple cider at Starbucks when I get sick with a sore throat.

There is 'hard' apple cider that is alcohol. I prefer the Hornsby's brand. I like it over beer. To me it is like a beer, but not a real beer.
  • This episode made me wonder, how may times have we heard Big Mac say something other than "Nope" or "EEyup"?
  • This episode made me wonder, how may times have we heard Big Mac say something other than "Nope" or "EEyup"?
    The beginning of Applebucking Season is the only instance I can think of. Hopefully he'll get some more real lines in Hearts and Hooves.
  • edited January 2012
    Regular apple cider is yummy. I normally get the caramel spiced apple cider at Starbucks when I get sick with a sore throat.
    When I had a job, I would buy that drink so often the baristas knew me by name.
    There is 'hard' apple cider that is alcohol. I prefer the Hornsby's brand. I like it over beer. To me it is like a beer, but not a real beer.
    I'm with you on "cider over beer". Hornsby's is a good cider, but I think Ace makes better cider overall. Their "Perry Hard Cider" (pear) is very good. Wyder's makes great cider all around, but a particularly fruity and delectable raspberry cider that pairs well with oven baked chicken or pork dishes. Raspberry cider with a cut of juicy chicken breast topped with cranberry sauce and a side of rice pilaf... Divine!

However, I would stay away from Wandering Aengus "Bloom" and "Wanderlust", and "Julian's" Hard Cider.The best I can say about those three is that they are lacking in flavor and have a strong taste of alcohol. The worst I can say is that they are a waste of money and that I am glad the two "Wandering Aengus" ciders that I tried are (so I'm told) a seasonal brew.

*end cider nerdsplosion*

Post edited by Victor Frost on
    The beginning of Applebucking Season is the only instance I can think of. Hopefully he'll get some more real lines in Hearts and Hooves.
    Mac and Dash look mighty cute running on that treadmill together. Seems like a good "ship" to me..

• Mac and Dash look mighty cute running on that treadmill together. Seems like a good "ship" to me..
    Dash would be too impatient for that to work out. FlutterMac, on the other hand...

I'll just go sit in my Corner of Shame now.
    So there and during this latest episode are the only 2 places, neat.
  • edited January 2012
    Mac and Dash look mighty cute running on that treadmill together. Seems like a good "ship" to me..
    Dash would be too impatient for that to work out. FlutterMac, on the other hand...

I'll just go sit in my Corner of Shame now.
    No way. Rainbow Mac would be a perfect couple. Mac is super strong and would be able to all kinds of athletic things with her. Fluttershy would be to shy to even talk to Mac. Where did you get the Idea Mac and Shy would go together? Did you read this week's FFF from Topless Robot?

• edited January 2012
    Where did you get the Idea Mac and Shy would go together?
    Primarily, their personalities match up well, whereas Mac and Dash don't. Dash would get too bored with Mac being "slow" and quiet, whereas Mac and Shy are both willing to be calm, patient, and quiet.

Also, Rainbow Dash obviously likes girls.

I am now descending into a great Pit of Shame, but I will take you with me!
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Brah. No. Just No. Dash isn't gay. Not that it would matter if she was. But Mac and Dash fit perfect. Opposites attract.
  • Shy and Mac would sit around and do nothing and never talk to each other.
  • edited January 2012
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • On the cider discussion that I missed because I was sleeping.

I had to go to the wikipedia to do some investigating and I found out that in the US the episode was about basically apple juice, while in the rest of the world it was about alcoholic drink. Well, I don't think we saw any of the young ones drinking that stuff, so it's ok.
  • On the cider discussion that I missed because I was sleeping.

I had to go to the wikipedia to do some investigating and I found out that in the US the episode was about basically apple juice, while in the rest of the world it was about alcoholic drink. Well, I don't think we saw any of the young ones drinking that stuff, so it's ok.
    Cider and juice are different. Cider is unfiltered and usually spiced. Juice is filtered. Hard cider is cider fermented.

• Cider and juice are different. Cider is unfiltered and usually spiced. Juice is filtered. Hard cider is cider fermented.
    Details, details. My primary point, was that the thing you call hard cider is just cider in the rest of the world.