This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I think I figured out the whole "why the fuck didn't she just teleport?!" thing. The only times we've seen Twilight Sparkle do this has always been in a straight line and relatively short distances. She also seems disoriented each time after she does it. It's possible that it is unwise for her to attempt it while falling, as in the hyrda episode. She is also still learning magic, and she makes a point that it is not always easy to do certain spells. This may also add to her reluctance to do it.
    Sounds like a poor excuse to me. Besides, in the hydra episode, there was plenty of time to teleport before the turf started to fall.
    Well it was said in the Trixie episode that every unicorn has their specialty that directs the focus of their spells.
    The thing is, Twilight's specialty is magic.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Sounds like a poor excuse to me. Besides, in the hydra episode, there was plenty of time to teleport before the turf started to fall.
    In the beginning of that episode Twilight explained how important concentration is in magic, having hydra on your back doesn't help with concentration I think.
  • Sounds like a poor excuse to me. Besides, in the hydra episode, there was plenty of time to teleport before the turf started to fall.
    In the beginning of that episode Twilight explained how important concentration is in magic, having hydra on your back doesn't help with concentration I think.
    So charging at Nightmare Moon does?
  • So charging at Nightmare Moon does?
    Or Ursa Minor up in your grill?
  • In fact, I believe Twilight has only teleported while under duress.
  • In fact, I believe Twilight has only teleported while under duress.
    What about the episode where Apple Jack won't ask for help? Doesn't she teleport around when she's trying to convince Apple Jack to accept help in the orchard?
  • What about the episode where Apple Jack won't ask for help? Doesn't she teleport around when she's trying to convince Apple Jack to accept help in the orchard?
    She does, you're right. But the first time she ever teleported was under duress, right? Running away from I forget what.

And if I recall that apple episode, it also doesn't take her terribly long to teleport, does it?
  • edited March 2011
    In fact, I believe Twilight has only teleported while under duress.
    What about the episode where Apple Jack won't ask for help? Doesn't she teleport around when she's trying to convince Apple Jack to accept help in the orchard?
    Yeah, I remember that.
    But the first time she ever teleported was under duress, right?
    The first time in the show, but there's no way it was her first time ever, given her proficiency with magic.
  • My Little PonyPodcast
  • edited March 2011
    So I just watched the episode Stare Master and I was left with the question of why was Twilight in the Everfree Forest before Fluttershy and the others went in? I can't figure it out.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • She said she was going to Zecora's to get some of her favourite tea.
    Ah, thank you. I missed that line.
    In episode one nobody had ever gone in the forest. Now they go in there to get tea like no problem.
    In episode one nobody had ever gone in the forest. Now they go in there to get tea like no problem.
    Clearly a little foolish, since Twilight got her ass turned to stone.

That just goes to show how badass Zecora is. She lives there.
  • That just goes to show how badass Zecora is. She lives there.

A rabbit in a lion's den.
    Clearly a little foolish, since Twilight got her ass turned to stone.

That just goes to show how badass Zecora is. She lives there.
    I think Zecora has a way with the creatures of the forest in a similar way to Fluttershy, what with her knowledge of natural cures and whatnot. She probably knows to leave anything that looks like a chicken alone and, especially now, go to Ponyville if she needs anything like that.
  • The first time in the show, but there's no way it was her first time ever, given her proficiency with magic.
    Didn't she express wonder at her ability to do that the first time? I'll have to rewatch the episode.
  • [Kamiyama]
    Nice one.
  • edited March 2011
    So charging at Nightmare Moon does?
    Or Ursa Minor up in your grill?
    She looked pretty scared to start with but then kind of gained in confidence. It was almost like she *understood* the problem. ;)

I'm guessing if it was Ursa Major that came in for a party, she would cry. Hard.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • If it was an Ursa Major, everyone would see it a mile away and run like hell.
  • One thing that worries me. Twilight Sparkle is all sciencey and wizardy, but she also seems to care about stars and constellations. Does she believe in astrology? Astrology needs to GTFO.
  • Astrology needs to GTFO.
    Ummmm.. she uses Magic so chances are astrology does work in the world....
  • Astrology needs to GTFO.
    Ummmm.. she uses Magic so chances are astrology does work in the world....
    Seriously guys, this is a race of Nietzschian Uberponys (FYI "ponys" is apparently German for "ponies"). All Magic in this series is really just a manifestation of the ponies will to power. (Yes, I am supposed to be doing philosophy homework right now. Why do you ask?)
  • edited March 2011
    she uses Magic
    Seriously guys. She can teleport and use telekinesis. There are flying ponies who control the weather and make snowflakes by hoof.

Astrology is fine. And I mean, you can totally FoRK that shit into Sorcery. So cheating!
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Astrology is fine. And I mean, you can totally FoRK that shit into Sorcery. So cheating!
    Never heard Scott Complain about it in Burning wheel.
  • Astrology is fine. And I mean, you can totally FoRK that shit into Sorcery. So cheating!
    Never heard Scott Complain about it in Burning wheel.
    Burning Wheel doesn't teach lies to small children.
  • Burning Wheel doesn't teach lies to small children.
    You mean like magic? Or that ponies can fly? Or that if you really believe in something hard enough, it'll come true?

Listen, this show is filled with lies. Why does the astrology one bother you?
  • Burning Wheel doesn't teach lies to small children.
    I would just like to note that Unicorns and pegasus not to mention talking ponies and magic are all also not real. Sorry to tell you Scott, Rainbow Dash is not real, you can't have sex with her.
  • edited March 2011
    Speaking of pseudoscience, episode 15 pissed me off, but I already said what I wanted to say on page 3 of this thread.
  • edited March 2011
    Speaking of pseudoscience, episode 15 pissed me off in that way, but I already said what I wanted to say on page 5 of this thread.
    It was really the letter at the end that fucked everything up, and Twilight's whole "I guess there are some things I'll just never understand." The "leap of faith" was irritating, but not the worst thing ever.

I saw a comment from Lauren that was basically like, "Wow, I really dropped the ball on that one."
    Rainbow Dash is not real, you can't have sex with her.
    Fursuits exist. The Internet will find a way to make this happen.

EDIT: Let's not forget the biggest lie that this show teaches kids: that they are beautiful and unique snowflakes. I demand that my kid's shows be full of stark, grim, soul-crushing reality.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on