This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I would pay good money to see a manga version of MLP done by this artist. $10-$15 for a 3 episode volume without a second thought.
  • I would pay good money to see a manga version of MLP done by this artist. $10-$15 for a 3 episode volume without a second thought.
    That is indeed good art, but I feel like Twilight's depiction doesn't really match her persona that well. The others seem fitting, though.
  • edited May 2013
    The Equestria Girls trailer is horrendous.

Get ready to barf.

Post edited by Apreche on
  • I don't know whether to be more upset about the unoriginal plot or the implication of Twilight/Soarin there.
  • Never understand why children's shows create pointless, hate-filled bullies. I'm wondering if Hasbro has a stockpile of Diamond Tiara toys they want to sell.
  • AND IT'S ALL CANON! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited May 2013
    There are so many things I dislike about the way this was done, but it looks slightly less terrible than I would have expected given that all of the leaks were real. The bad news is that it looks slightly less terrible because the all of the main creative team worked on it.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • Ýou know, the first few seconds in Equestria where everyone truly lived up to the My Litttle PONY name felt like it could be something interesting.

AND THEN SPIKE DOG GOSH DARN IT WHY. It was like my interest went from a high to a low in an instant.

I won't hate on it, but this too huge a tonal and art design shift. Why give up magical land and fantasy elements for a bloody high school. I guess they hope to capitalize on the Japanese market too... :P
  • You know, since this is cannon and all that, and also expresses the desire for the Hasbro execs to bring in Human elements into the Equestrian Universe, there is a high likelihood that in the near future, this will creep into the main series.

Unless the writers did something amazing here, exceeding even the titanic effort to make Magical Mystery Cure enjoyable, I would henceforth watch the rest of pony with caution. This happened with Dexters Lab, it happened with Powerpuff Girls...after season 3, the execs begin crying for a new "direction" or "style", ruining both franchises for me.

Damn it.
  • Maybe this has been in the works for a long time, and is why Lauren quit?
  • Maybe this has been in the works for a long time, and is why Lauren quit?
    Lauren didn't want Twilight to become an Alicorn, so there's got to be more than this.
  • I've watched a lot of interviews with Faust. It's pretty clear that it was a mounting pile of decisions where she got overruled, along with a really fast production schedule and isolated work that ground her down to the point that she got sick. I would be pretty surprised if it ever comes out that it was one big thing Hasbro did.

Also, I see the folks who got the early Twilicorn and EG leaks are now claiming that S4 is planned be the last season of FiM, and that it's to be replaced by EG. Meanwhile Faust is (very indirectly) tweeting that EG looks like homogenized shit and unfollowed the people who worked on it.

It's surprising how very done I'm feeling at the moment given we've all known this was coming for a while. Back to the anime and TV threads for me.
  • I would think Bronies, of all people, would know not to judge a book by it's cover.
  • I would think Bronies, of all people, would know not to judge a book by it's cover.
    Want to bet on this one?
  • edited May 2013
    The Equestria Girls trailer is horrendous.

Get ready to barf.
    wwwwwwwwwwww @_@
    Post edited by Sail on
    Want to bet on this one?
    Well, that or they should understand that the primary marketing demographic was, is, and likely always will be, preteen girls.
  • lolz I've been waiting for this moment for a few years now.
  • The thing with Equestria Girl that I can't get over is that they're expecting franchise familiar audiences to pay the full theater admission fee ($8 to $12) for what looks like television quality animated film. All the shots in the trailer are way below MLP's standard of quality. The story would have to be phenomenal for this event to be remembered positively.
  • Unless you're an eight year old. In that case, the only difference is that it's Ponies that you get to watch for free by asking your parents to drive you to the theater, instead of Ponies that you get to watch for free by sitting in front of the TV. The story involves Ponies, and the animation quality involves Ponies, so both would be adequate to you for the price you're paying.
  • Unless you're an eight year old. In that case, the only difference is that it's Ponies that you get to watch for free by asking your parents to drive you to the theater, instead of Ponies that you get to watch for free by sitting in front of the TV. The story involves Ponies, and the animation quality involves Ponies, so both would be adequate to you for the price you're paying.
    And that's the saddest part. I have no problem defending the "artistic worth" of MLP or any cartoon I enjoy. And I would love for the hobbies/cartoons I enjoy to be treated legitimately and have lasting shelf value beyond "children distraction time." This film looks like a throw away product willed into existence by an out-of-touch marketing department.

But I'll stop complaining because in the grand scheme of things, entertainment is a privilege not a right, first world problems. yada. yada. yada. etc. etc.