This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• Pinkie Pie parties hard and doesn't afraid of anything.
    Why don't we have a drawing of Pinkie Pie with a massive nosebleed?
  • Aw dude.

My Little Pony album covers. Let's make it happen.
  • I've decided to finally watch more of this goddamn show. Confound these forums. They drive me to ponies.
  • I wish I could make PMVs. I'd make one of Tenacious D's Wonderboy, with Rainbow Dash as Wonderboy and Fluttershy as Young Nastyman
  • I think My Little Pony is a pretty cool guy- eh makes friendship magic and doesn't afraid of anything?
    Why didn't I think that. One Internet for you for great meme use.
  • So I've been wondering this. Why do Ponies raise Pigs?
  • To find gourmet truffles of course.
    Delicious, delicious bacon.
    I was going to bring that up. It's clearly a farm raising pigs in this case, and many pigs at that. There is almost no useful purpose for this many pigs except bacon.
  • Wait, in episode 2 when they fall off of a cliff, why don't the unicorns use their unicorn magic to levitate themselves? It's already been established that they can levitate books and such.
  • Wait, in episode 2 when they fall off of a cliff, why don't the unicorns use their unicorn magic to levitate themselves? It's already been established that they can levitate books and such.
    Princess Celestia gives all unicorns a mental block preventing them from levitating themselves to prevent them from flying around and totally dominating the pegasi.

Actually, most unicorns probably can't levitate their own weight and magic is also implied to be very taxing on the user.
  • I was going to bring that up. It's clearly a farm raising pigs in this case, and many pigs at that. There is almost no useful purpose for this many pigs except bacon.
    Also, how come the cows can talk, but the pigs couldn't? The level of sentience and self reliance of different animal species is completely random.
    Actually, most unicorns probably can't levitate their own weight
    Well, Twilight can lift an entire orchard of apples all at once. Rarity has also telekinesed some pretty big stuff, but ponies are very heavy.
  • edited March 2011
    Rarity has also telekinesed some pretty big stuff, but ponies are very heavy.
    True that, your average 14 hand pony is going to weigh about 400-500 kilos, for reference. How that relates to the actual show is up to you, though.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Actually, most unicorns probably can't levitate their own weight
    Well, Twilight can lift an entire orchard of apples all at once. Rarity has also telekinesed some pretty big stuff, but ponies are very heavy.
    But Twilight is a special case, and Rarity mostly lifts small objects, probably not of pony weight.
    Pinkie Pie mentioned a Hot Dog eating contest in the Autumn show.

So ponies do eat meat.
  • Rarity has also telekinesed some pretty big stuff, but ponies are very heavy.
    True that, your average 14 hand pony is going to weigh about 400-500 kilos, for reference. How that relates to the actual show is up to you, though.
    Judging by the size of things around them they are like 3-4 feet tall.
    You don't know that. They could be a million feet tall, and then their houses and such would also be millions of feet tall. But when viewed on film, the scale makes it so you can't tell without anything relative to compare it to. How do you know our entire universe isn't some speck of sparkle in Celestia's hair?
  • Ackchoolee.. As you scale up objects in a real world their shapes begin to change due to requiring weight to carry weight. Legs get thicker, for instance.

• Thrown together artlessly, I know, but someone had to make it.
  • edited March 2011
    I have found one PMV which is better than the Dr. Horrible ones...another NPH song this one from How I Met Your Mother - "Nothing suits me but a suit" (of course it uses a lot of Rarity/Art of the Dress clips.)

While we on about the Art of the Dress: A lot of the MLP:FiM Songs.

Edit: Oh and on the Dr. Horrible songs...being subscribed to the Equestia Daily It seems like the shipping is Rainbow Dash/everyone.
    Post edited by ShadedSpriter on
  • Judging by the size of things around them they are like 3-4 feet tall.
    You don't know that. They could be a million feet tall, and then their houses and such would also be millions of feet tall. But when viewed on film, the scale makes it so you can't tell without anything relative to compare it to. How do you know our entire universe isn't some speck of sparkle in Celestia's hair?
    And Thus why I said "An average pony" and "It's up to you how much this relates to the show." Normal ponies are made of muscle, bone and flesh, for all we know, these ponies are made out of Marshmallow fluff and the blood of a thousand Gungans.
  • edited March 2011
    Equestria is actually the theoretical hypermath construct of a Culture Mind. Hence, "Infinite Fun Space." Parasprites are Hegemonizing Swarms, and all pony magic is attributable to a different name for matter effectors. Ponies are, in fact, hyperevolved theoretical lifeforms that are hybrids of Culture technology and biologic tissue shaped into adorable mythological forms.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
    If those apples really are that big, they must be tasteless. Larger fruit = less flavor in my opinion.
    Square-Cube Law
    Unless their legs are made of adamantium, but then they'd still need muscles stronger than the Hulk's.
  • edited March 2011
    That doesn't hold up when you're allowed to adjust the mechanics of the universe.

Therefore, we assume the theory that makes least assumptions (It's a cartoon, failing that, they are roughly the size of the toys.) until further evidence presents itself.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited March 2011
    Well, if you adjust G, c, and a few other constants to match it, than size no longer matters. Unless you go to a molecular level there would be literally no difference between a small pony and a giant pony.

edit: Watch for geckos and the like. Because the way they climb depends on molecular bonds, if they climb normally, that provides evidence that ponies are about the same size relative to a molecule as they are in the real world.
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • edited March 2011
    Rarity has also telekinesed some pretty big stuff, but ponies are very heavy.
    Twilight Sparkle levitates a freaken Ursa Minor all the way back to it's cave... She's very strong. And that was after levitating a barns worth of cows milk along the way. In fact, she DUAL levitates. The Ursa Minor and the milk... Shes crazy strong.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • Yeah, it seems that self-levitation is likely to be restricted somehow, though it's hard to say how. It could be a consequence of how their magic works, or there could be other reasons.
  • If we could get an idea of what type of apples they grow, then we could find an approximation of the height of the trees and find out how tall ponies are (assuming an earth-like world).
  • My theory is still holding. Even a low power matter effector could handle most of Twilight Sparkle's feats. It's entirely possible that all of the ponies are Culture citizens living in an Eccentric environment and having chosen to live in an Equestria simulation for the entirety of their stay.