This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• Spike thinks he's smarter than all the ponies just because he's a dragon.
    Back on topic, how do Dragons fit into Equestian society? Spike seems to have freedom but he is basically Twilight Sparkle's manservant. The Dragon in Dragonshy could have murdered the Ponies in a second but was just as susceptible to Flutteryshy's ability as a little bunny. Dragons = Subservient to Ponies!?
  • Time is a resource too.
    My time is not precious, and now after having successfully made money off my own content I do not mind ads as much as I once did. If someone is getting coinage for the ad just being presented to me I don't care.
  • edited March 2011
    What I don't understand is why no one seems to be willing to watch the 480p YouTube stream that is available to you hassle-free. Sure, the show is kind of pretty and watching things in HD is nice, but it's a goddamned Flash cartoon. I'm not sure your enjoyment of the show is really going to be affected too much by watching it in lower quality.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited March 2011
    Spike thinks he's smarter than all the ponies just because he's a dragon.
    Back on topic, how do Dragons fit into Equestian society? Spike seems to have freedom but he is basically Twilight Sparkle's manservant. The Dragon in Dragonshy could have murdered the Ponies in a second but was just as susceptible to Flutteryshy's ability as a little bunny. Dragons = Subservient to Ponies!?
    No, I don't think they're subservient. Fluttershy's ability is just super powerful, that's all.
    I think Twilight is just Spike's guardian for the time being, while he remains a baby dragon.
    What I don't understand is why no one seems to be willing to watch the 480p YouTube stream that is available to you hassle-free. Sure, the show is kind of pretty and watching things in HD is nice, but it's a goddamned Flash cartoon. I'm not sure your enjoyment of the show is really going to be affected too much by watching it in lower quality.
    A high level of detail can prove essential for Gandalf girthing, and I don't see downloading an episode as a significant leap in effort compared to watching a stream.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I would also ask, how much would everypony be willing to pay for a DVD Box Set of the first season? I'm willing to spend 30 dollars easily, just from love of the series, but I do really believe that there could be some nice, possible extra features. Then again, I haven't bought many children-specific shows on DVD, so I'm not sure how big they are on content, besides the episode.

Another thing, I love RAGE Pony. Did anypony else laugh at the yellow-and-blue pony, with the grapes cutie mark just growled and glared at Twilight? I did, that noise is just too funny.
  • edited March 2011
    It really SUX because all the people who I have gotten into it do not use torrents, or would even have an inclination to use torrents. Just normal, everyday Youtube folk.
    This is nothing to do with DRM or money, its all about EXPOSURE. I can tell you for sure that I have friends who will not be able to watch the show now.

PS: New Zealand. No Netficks. No itunes shows.

As soon as I get the complete series on torrents, everypony be getting flash drives.

Sad day. Like Scott Said in the podcast, they were just gaining momentum! :(

EDIT: Is the 480P still available??? If so, that would still be fine with me.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
    I think all creatures are vulnerable to Fluttershy's stare, just that she only uses it when she absolutely has to to protect someone. On the dragon front, I wonder if it's a case like a domesitcated cat vs a wild cat. Spike will not be able to continue living among ponies if he grows as big as the Dragonshy Dragon, so there is little benefit to him not living with his parents and learning to be like the Dragonshy Dragon if that is indeed the path he will take. Also, in Diamond Dogs, he doesn't envision himself as a huge winged dragon who saves Rarity, he sees himself as someone who looks to be maybe slightly larger than a human, relatively speaking. Even if he isn't pro wrestler buff like he fantasized about, being about that size seems to be his future.
  • Another thing, I love RAGE Pony. Did anypony else laugh at the yellow-and-blue pony, with the grapes cutie mark just growled and glared at Twilight? I did, that noise is just too funny.
    Yes, I lol'd. Too bad everyone else is too busy bitching about how they can't watch the show in the way they want to enjoy it as well ^_~
  • I would also ask, how much would everypony be willing to pay for a DVD Box Set of the first season? I'm willing to spend 30 dollars easily, just from love of the series, but I do really believe that there could be some nice, possible extra features. Then again, I haven't bought many children-specific shows on DVD, so I'm not sure how big they are on content, besides the episode.

Another thing, I love RAGE Pony. Did anypony else laugh at the yellow-and-blue pony, with the grapes cutie mark just growled and glared at Twilight? I did, that noise is just too funny.
    My 2 year old son LOVES "Ponies". He even does the Arrr-YIP! I would pay $30 or $40 US for the DVD (or Bluray????) version.
  • What I don't understand is why no one seems to be willing to watch the 480p YouTube stream that is available to you hassle-free. Sure, the show is kind of pretty and watching things in HD is nice, but it's a goddamned Flash cartoon. I'm not sure your enjoyment of the show is really going to be affected too much by watching it in lower quality.
    I like watching on my big screen TV on my comfy reclining couch, just a personal preference.

I will more than likely purchase the DVD release paying no more than $30.

BTW episode 21 720p in mkv format on Ponychan. I will watch after I go get lunch.

Because this is a venture to push toys I doubt they're going to be asking much for the discs.

Speaking of toys, my Mother came home from Target and handed me a Sweetie Belle toy. My response:

"Well, thanks Mom but... don't buy me Pony toys. Did... did they have Twilight Sparkle?"
  • edited March 2011
    Spike thinks he's smarter than all the ponies just because he's a dragon.
    I think all creatures are vulnerable to Fluttershy's stare, just that she only uses it when she absolutely has to to protect someone. On the dragon front, I wonder if it's a case like a domesitcated cat vs a wild cat. Spike will not be able to continue living among ponies if he grows as big as the Dragonshy Dragon, so there is little benefit to him not living with his parents and learning to be like the Dragonshy Dragon if that is indeed the path he will take. Also, in Diamond Dogs, he doesn't envision himself as a huge winged dragon who saves Rarity, he sees himself as someone who looks to be maybe slightly larger than a human, relatively speaking. Even if he isn't pro wrestler buff like he fantasized about, being about that size seems to be his future.
    I think Spike will grow to be as big as the other dragon, but it will take a very, very long time - perhaps several hundred years, even. Dragons are generally very long-lived creatures, and I suspect that the dragons of the MLP universe are no exception.

Also, I don't think dragons need to "learn" how to become like the Dragonshy dragon. I think it just comes naturally, as the result of genetic imperative. Spike has already quite clearly demonstrated a taste for jewelry; what else does he need?
    Yes, I lol'd. Too bad everyone else is too busy bitching about how they can't watch the show in the way they want to enjoy it as well ^_~
    I've already got it downloaded, but I told my little brother I'd watch it with him first and he isn't awake as it's 5:41 AM.
  • What I don't understand is why no one seems to be willing to watch the 480p YouTube stream that is available to you hassle-free. Sure, the show is kind of pretty and watching things in HD is nice, but it's a goddamned Flash cartoon. I'm not sure your enjoyment of the show is really going to be affected too much by watching it in lower quality.
    I think people severely underestimate the HD factor of this show. Name one cartoon before this one was completely in widescreen 1080p? Even though the art style used is not very high detail on any individual item, they are able to fit a lot of things in the scene due to the aspect ratio and resolution. This show probably wouldn't even be half as popular if it were a 480p square.

Try to think about some cartoons of the past that were great. How about B:TAS, Dexter's Lab, Duck Tales, Samurai Jack, etc. All great shows, but imagine how much more amazing those shows would have been in wide screen HD. It's a big deal.
    Well, if all Dragons start off as "domesticated" by the Ponies maybe when they grow up they are all as meek as the Dragonshy Dragon. It's a kind way to eliminate Dragons as a threat to Equestria.
  • edited March 2011
    Whether it's 16:9 or 4:3 doesn't matter as long as it's what the creator intended for the show/movie to be in. Currently, most of our shows are wide so the presentation should be wide.
    I think Spike will grow to be as big as the other dragon, but it will take a very, very long time - perhaps several hundred years, even. Dragons are generally very long-lived creatures, and I suspect that the dragons of the MLP universe are no exception.

Also, I don't think dragons need to "learn" how to become like the Dragonshy dragon. I think it just comes naturally, as the result of genetic imperative. Spike has already quite clearly demonstrated a taste for jewelry; what else does he need?

What I mean by learn to be like the Dragonshy Dragon is learn how to hoard, keep safe, etc. While it is possible that he becomes a big huge dragon after a very very long time, I don't understand why he be put in a place to make pony friends and contacts if one day he won't be able to live with them because he's too big or outlive everyone. There's a reason why vampires tend to be loners or have other vampires for companions and not make many human friends unless they're willing to convert, and in this case Spike can't make Twilight a dragon.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • edited March 2011
    Yes, Spike will outlive his friends, but I don't think that makes it no longer worthwhile to have them. As for Spike himself, he's probably too naive for the thought to have crossed his mind anyway. Hell, he's romantically interested in a pony and doesn't realise the issues that would result, which is about as naive as it gets, all things considered.

Later, as Spike grows old and has outlived several sets of friends, it's possible he will give up on having friends, and then the transition to a grumpy hoarding dragon will be an entirely straightforward one. When he's that big, Spike won't need to "learn" how to hoard gems and be safe, because he'll have absolutely nothing to be afraid of.
  • Yes, Spike will outlive his friends, but I don't think that makes it no longer worthwhile to have them. As for Spike himself, he's probably too naive for the thought to have crossed his mind anyway. Hell, he's romantically interested in a pony and doesn't realise the issues that would result, which is about as naive as it gets, all things considered.

Later, as Spike grows old and has outlived several sets of friends, it's possible he will give up on having friends, and then the transition to a grumpy hoarding dragon will be an entirely straightforward one. When he's that big, Spike won't need to "learn" how to hoard gems and be safe, because he'll have absolutely nothing to be afraid of.
    Except brave little ponies who call him on his BS ala Fluttershy ;)
  • I wish I could post this video clip in every thread in every forum of the entire Interwebs.

• edited March 2011
    Promoting rationality with a purple unicorn: Can't fail!
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I wish I could post this video clip in every thread in every forum of the entire Interwebs.
  • OMG Pinkie Pie and Spike putting on a Burlesque.
  • Hey guys, I didn't want to get into a debate about DRM, or about the availability of the show. I'm just really surprised how little you value something, in monetary terms, that you value so highly in other ways. This show is taking up huge amounts of your time in online discussions, with watching the show, with thinking about it, chatting about with friends, trying to convince others of its worth, in making fan art and photoshop composites, and much more besides. What I find so unbelievable is that you then think $3 is way too much to even consider paying.

"There is nothing on earth I like enough to pay that amount of money."

I can't fathom that kind of mindset. If I am a fan of something, I'll often find myself splashing out on something. Even when I was a poor student, I'd scrape together enough money to take trains across the country to see shows of my favourite artists. It would have been possible to track down recordings of the shows afterwards, or find other recordings of similar shows, but that wasn't the point. Showing support to the artists themselves was the big deal. I bought tickets to see a big show in London once, and the night before the same show was broadcast live on Radio 1. The next night I saw the show live, and was happy to have paid for both the ticket and the train there and back.

Live shows are different to TV, I understand. But I think there's something to my overall confusion.

If you really like something, to the point where you are trying to convince others to watch or take part in the same thing, is there any amount of money you are willing to spend, if that is the requested price as set by the creators? In this case, the production company (or whoever) is asking for $1 to rent it on iTunes, or $3 so you can stream it as many times as you want. Forget the question of DRM, or of not being able to get it outside of the US for now. Just how much would you have to like something before you paid $3 for a TV show?

Do you EVER see yourself paying for TV shows on an episode-by-episode basis?

I'm really curious, because I'm of the mindset that if I'm not willing to spend money on something, I'd rather not bother. I don't watch more than one or two seasons of ANY TV shows per year, but then again TV isn't my main form of entertainment. That is books (which I pay for 80% of what I read) and movies (which I normally rent) and music (I buy a few albums per month). I want to pay for these things, and it isn't just about making sure the artists and companies that produce the entertainment get money. It's about lining up my own priorities.

If I'm getting something for free, I value it less. I made a decision that the only TV I watch would be something I paid for. This way, I'm putting a dollar amount on my own time and attention. If I'm going to spend anything (time or money) on a product, I'm going to make sure it is a high enough quality. I could very, very, very easily fill my time watching season after season of House, or other shows, as I have almost unlimited free time. But I can't do that. Every hour I spend watching TV is time I can't be doing or making something awesome, or consuming other media that is awesome.
  • If I'm getting something for free, I value it less.
    Perhaps why people are adverse to paying $3 an episode when before they were able to just watch it on YouTube?
  • edited March 2011
    If you really like something, to the point where you are trying to convince others to watch or take part in the same thing, is there any amount of money you are willing to spend, if that is the requested price as set by the creators? In this case, the production company (or whoever) is asking for $1 to rent it on iTunes, or $3 so you can stream it as many times as you want. Forget the question of DRM, or of not being able to get it outside of the US for now. Just how much would you have to like something before you paid $3 for a TV show?

Do you EVER see yourself paying for TV shows on an episode-by-episode basis?
    There is an amount of money I'm willing to pay, it's just a very low number, as far as the industry is concerned. For example, I recently started paying for Netflix. That's less than $8 a month for a ton of full length HD movies with unlimited viewing. Compared to Netflix, the price of MLP on iTunes is an insane rip-off.

Also look at Steam. Portal 2 is $45. Buying all 26 episodes of MLP is $70. I don't know about you, but Portal 2 is going to provide more hours of more awesome than the entire MLP season at a much lower price. Plus, if you wait a few months, the price of Portal 2 will drop to $20. That's about less than 7 pony episodes vs. Portal 2. Portal 2 wins. I'm not even counting Steams insane sales. I'm using the hot new expensive game as the example!

Also, I spend usually around $100-ish on comic books every month. That's a lot, but I am getting an actual physical tangible product, so I'll pay more than I would for something that is digital. If all my comics were digital, I'd expect to pay a Netflix-type price of maybe $10 a month for ALL the comics combined. Also, I'm ordering my comics from a place that gives an incredibly steep discount. Without that discount, I would hardly buy any comics at all because they are too expensive. My $100 a month gets a box stuffed with books. At a retail comic shop it would get you a very tiny pile.

I recently paid many hundreds to get an XBox 360, Rock Band 3, the MIDI adapter, and the "real" guitar. Three of those things are actual physical electronic tools, which I am more than willing to pay for. The game is still just software, and cost a little over $40, but I got it on a slight sale at Amazon. Also, so far it is a piece of software I have used for at least an hour almost every single day since I've gotten it.

I paid $50 for a game that I play an hour a day every day. MLP is a TV show I watch for 20 minutes once a week. No matter how good it is, or how much we talk about it, I would be willing to pay at most 75 cents per DRM-free HD 1080p episode with surround sound. Also, I would need to be able to edit the video to make remixes and funny Youtubes and such.

How did I calculate 75 cents? I paid $30 for the entire DVD box set of Cowboy Bebop, and that is something I will rewatch twice a decade or so. MLP season one is the same number of episodes as Cowboy Bebop, and it's maybe half as good. I'm certainly not going to be rewatching it for the rest of my life. 30/26 is a little over a dollar an episode for Cowboy Bebop, but that also includes DVD extras and such. 75 cents times 26 is 19.50, which is close enough to $20, which is what I would pay for an MLP box set.

If the MLP people want more of my money, maybe they should wake the fuck up and realize they've struck gold. Let the show be on YouTube, encourage it on YouTube! Make an official channel with 1080p episodes, and sell ads on it. Continue to make the products for the target demographic, but also make products for the unexpected demographic. If there were a really high quality Rainbow Dash statue, I might be tempted to pay $40 to get it as a decoration at my desk. If they let a real game designer make an MLP RPG, I'd buy that so fast. I'd pay $1 for the entire MLP soundtrack in non-DRM MP3 form. Other people seem to really want those MLP shoes, but I'm pretty sure they aren't officially licensed merchandise. MLP Gelaskin for my smart phone? That's $15 right there.

TL;DR: Hasbro needs to take a lesson from Crypton Future Media and treat their ponies like Miku.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I'm just really surprised how little you value something, in monetary terms, that you value so highly in other ways. This show is taking up huge amounts of your time in online discussions, with watching the show, with thinking about it, chatting about with friends, trying to convince others of its worth, in making fan art and photoshop composites, and much more besides. What I find so unbelievable is that you then think $3 is way too much to even consider paying..
    The mindset here is hardly different from that of anime fans regarding popular shows. Take a look at any of the popular mainstream titles that have graced TV like fullmetal alchemist, they generate as much, if not definetly more, online duscussions, fan creation and promotions, as this show does. However, your idea that what one values highly on an abstract and artistic value should match the monetary value one would be willing to pay for, is skewed. With the rock bottom intrinsic value of entertainment in such a globalized stage (hey, im an asian posting about an american cartoon from an Asian country), one simply cannot expect the fans to go all out and support a show on whatever business runs it takes (this whole 3 dollars thing), when such entertainment can be found either free online, or easily downloaded; ergo the fan KNOWS he can find a better deal somewhere else.

In my opinion, the willingness of fans to even BUY said material in hard material form, ie, boxsets etc, when they are essentially worthless in the face of digital storage and medium (bet some of you heard how a DVD is essentially worthless after you purchase it), stand testamount to their enthusiasm for the show, and in an age where the idea of free and transitory media are stamped into our live-such mindsets are encouraging, and i feel, the best creators can hope for these days.

You also mention that, you would 'Splash on something you are a fan off", but then again, with so many media and entertainment entities competing for attention, from games, to movies , or books or whatever have you, the transitory and fickle aspects of media becoems very apparant. If My Little Pony were to be cancelled tomorrow (god forbid), i would heave a sigh, and in a day or two, be back to my current stack of games which i have yet to complete, or maybe the whole stack of movies resting in my hard drive. We may be fans of this show, but nowadays, everyone is a fan of so many things that we can only "Splash" on something to a limited extent. I buy my games original as a sign of fan support towards that industry, and already, i have to make my priorities, which you also mention. All of us have our own priorities, and being a fan of something doesnt mean we put our priorities by the way side. 3 dollars per episode is just too much when i have games and other animations and anime im a fan of, competing for my wallet. (This was a particularly good year for gaming, ive already spent too much as it is..)

I was actually happy about the 1 dollar rental, i would consider that. However, being bred on a diet of anime in my younger days, waiting for the box set release is my main de facto choice of purchase, and i would apply this mindset to this show as well. I, like you, do splurge on things im a huge fan of, and My Little Pony warrants my attention enough just to do that. I would give them 50, my highest price.
  • Heh. This changes nothing for me unless I am away from home on a Friday. I simply set my DVR to record any new episode of MLP. My rate of TV consumption/use easily justifies the cost of my half of the FIOS bill, and it's way cheaper than $3 per episode!
  • Heh. This changes nothing for me unless I am away from home on a Friday. I simply set my DVR to record any new episode of MLP. My rate of TV consumption/use easily justifies the cost of my half of the FIOS bill, and it's way cheaper than $3 per episode!
    The only things that are available on cable that I would watch if I had it are the NHL, MLP, and maybe F1. Not worth $30 or even $50+ a month.

Nuri, is your DVR HD?
  • OMG Pinkie Pie and Spike putting on a Burlesque.
    Even more than the burlesque, the fact that EVERY OTHER CHARACTER reacted precisely the same way that I did was absolutely priceless.

Even though it was funny, I really didn't like how the episode ended. It was too rushed, too forced, and did not involve nearly as much friendship as I thought was appropriate. It would have at least been better if the buffalo girl had maybe gone to appaloosa and had an apple before, and tried to convince the others, but the way it was done in the episode came WAY out of left field.