This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• edited April 2011
    I dunno, although there is much better reasoning behind the second chart, I'm gonna go with my gut and say the first chart seems "more right". It's just, from a visual perspective, it seems more natural.
    I'll take Celestia for a ride.

Yeah, I went there.
    In the second chart, she's at that height...
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • G1 wasn't nearly as awful as the others. However my still liking it is mainly due to nostalgia.
    I don't think we should automatically discount the original ponies, since almost all of the main characters were directly based off of ponies from the very first movie/ep/whatever. Namely Applejack/Applejack, Twilight/Twilight Sparkle, Firefly/Rainbow Dash, Posy/Fluttershy... etc.

Then again most of you are guys that only like this show because of Rainbow Dash, and you don't care about original ponies because it would make you less manly. Because, you know, its a girl's show.
  • edited April 2011
    My partner sat me down to some original episodes recently, in return for myself introducing her to FIM. I have no nostalgia for these old cartoons and as such my opinion of them is not very high.

To each their own.

I wonder why the new variant appeals to me whereas the original make me cringe.
    Post edited by Casa Vino on
  • My partner sat me down to some original episodes recently, in return for myself introducing her to FIM. I have no nostalgia for these old cartoons and as such my opinion of them is not very high.

To each their own.

I wonder why the new variant appeals to me whereas the original make me cringe.
    It's like discovering being introduced to beer by way of high quality beers, then trying something like bud lite. Some things are objectively bad, with or without nostalgia
  • Then again most of you are guys that only like this show because of Rainbow Dash, and you don't care about original ponies because it would make you less manly. Because, you know, its a girl's show.
    Most of us like most of the ponies, I think. It's hardly a Rainbow Dash only affair.
  • edited April 2011
    Then again most of you are guys that only like this show because of Rainbow Dash, and you don't care about original ponies because it would make you less manly. Because, you know, its a girl's show.
    Most of us like most of the ponies, I think. It's hardly a Rainbow Dash only affair.
    I prefer Fluttershy over all the other ponies and she is one of the girlier ones. I went and watched some of the original show on youtube. The artistic style was not to my linking, the voice acting was horrible, and the plots were too predictable for my tastes. Those same kinds of qualities could be applied to a show about a guy who beats people up and I would feel the same way. Which is why I don't like Steven Segal movies.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Looks like episode 26 will indeed be a Grand Galloping Gala episode. Scott and I were right.
  • A shoutout from Equestira Daily, maybe you guys already know, but theres a call out for all bronies to take a Survey

Here is a quote from the article

"How does one convince a goliath toy company like Hasbro to pay attention to a relatively small, but growing, demographic interested in one of their toy lines? An army of pony-obsessed bronies won't do it, but what about someone with more power? Someone who has the means of distributing and marketing the product? Someone who has, in the past, actually licensed My Little Pony before? I'm talking about none other than...Hot Topic.
    Sure, there is sort of a stigma for the store if you are over the age of 16, but they really are the best option here. Who else could convince Hasbro to take our money than a company that not only follows internet culture, but has stable retail outlets throughout the country? Lauren Faust herself suggests this route, and it definitely has merit. "

Once enough surveys have been taken, the guy's gonna fire this off to Hot Topic.

The survey: http://purpletinker.com/projectmerch/
    This one's for you, Pete.
  • When MLP:FIM meets YGOTAS (Yugioh the abridged series).

• I'll take Celestia for a ride.

Yeah, I went there.
    It's official, Scott is now a furry.
  • It's official, Scott is now a furry.
    You know, neither ponies nor anthropomorphic art are furry. Furry is a distinct subset of anthropomorphic art, characterized by particular art style, often concurrent lifestyle, and the raging hardon which was obviously cropped out of the image below.

• edited April 2011
    From Wikipedia which disagrees with Rym.

"Furry fandom is a fandom for fictional anthropomorphic animal characters with human personalities and characteristics.[1] Examples of anthropomorphic attributes include exhibiting human intelligence and facial expressions, the ability to speak, walk on two legs, and wear clothes. Furry fandom is also used to refer to the community of people who gather on the Internet and at conventions"

I assume the only thing that prevents My Little Pony love fandom to not be furry is that they don't walk on two legs? Granted, Ponies walking on two legs would be kinda scary looking.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • "Furry fandom is a fandom for fictional anthropomorphic animal characters with human personalities and characteristics.[1] Examples of anthropomorphic attributes include exhibiting human intelligence and facial expressions, the ability to speak, walk on two legs, and wear clothes. Furry fandom is also used to refer to the community of people who gather on the Internet and at conventions"
    Furry culture and "furry" art is pretty fairly distinct from more generalized anthropomorphic art. I really like anthropomorphism in art, but have zero interest in this specific subculture. It's useful to distinguish, just as we distinguish between punk rock and other forms of rock.
  • Because, you know, its a girl's show.
    Or because it's terrible. He-Man terrible.
  • Furry culture and "furry" art is pretty fairly distinct from more generalized anthropomorphic art. I really like anthropomorphism in art, but have zero interest in this specific subculture. It's useful to distinguish, just as we distinguish between punk rock and other forms of rock.
    Call it what you will, but I wouldn't be surprised to find Rubin dressed like a pony looking for a little rainbow dash :-p
  • The old MLP were... kind of freaky. with those chubby featureless bodies and faces and Liz Taylor eyes stuck on, the impression I got was always... "Miss Piggy."
  • He-Man terrible.
    Oh dude that's harsh.
  • Miss Piggy
    That's so true! They always reminded me of Miss Piggy, but she fits in the muppet show style and they are just strange looking.
  • Here's some more desktop backgrounds, care of the My Little Pony reddit.
    These are awesome, but I need to try to find them as PNGs. The compression is pretty noticeable.
  • Why don't people realize that when you make a wallpaper, you gotta do all the aspect ratios. Almost every monitor I have is 16:10.
  • 5:4. I need to crop everything.
  • Why don't people realize that when you make a wallpaper, you gotta do all the aspect ratios. Almost every monitor I have is 16:10.
    Agreed.
  • The strange thing is that the Fluttershy one is 16:10 while the others are 16:9.
  • Wingboners are something I've never noticed before but when somebody pointed them out I see Rainbow Dash doing it a lot. She did it when Pinkie Pie sung her song that started the Appleloosen-Buffalo War.
  • Wingboners are something I've never noticed before but when somebody pointed them out I see Rainbow Dash doing it a lot. She did it when Pinkie Pie sung her song that started the Appleloosen-Buffalo War.
    I didn't notice until there were youtube comments on my ohmygosh video.
    I didn't notice until there were youtube comments on my ohmygosh video.
    They stood out for me after the race between Rainbow Dash and Applejack. I hadn't noticed how expressive she is with her wings until they were tied down.
  • You know what this series really reminds me of, at least bits and pieces of it?

The Giver by Lois Lowry.