This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• I just realized that those muffins are gluten free.
    I feel so bad for Nuri if you made those.
    I bet I could get it to work. The chips would create a sweet and salty thing. I would have to substitute the cup of sour with buttermilk, though. If I ground the chips into a flour, we'd basically have potato flour, eggs, sugar, salt, carbonation, and some caramelization from the Coke.
  • What is a cup of sour? Milk that's gone bad? Milk with lemon juice?
  • What is a cup of sour? Milk that's gone bad? Milk with lemon juice?
    I'm assuming milk with lemon juice, seeing as how there's lemon juice in the picture.

Milk with lemon juice is a common substitute for buttermilk.
    I bet I could get it to work. The chips would create a sweet and salty thing. I would have to substitute the cup of sour with buttermilk, though. If I ground the chips into a flour, we'd basically have potato flour, eggs, sugar, salt, carbonation, and some caramelization from the Coke.
    NO. EW. Coke is the nastiest shit ever.
  • I bet I could get it to work. The chips would create a sweet and salty thing. I would have to substitute the cup of sour with buttermilk, though. If I ground the chips into a flour, we'd basically have potato flour, eggs, sugar, salt, carbonation, and some caramelization from the Coke.
  • OMFG. I am stealing that.
  • Ahhhhhahahahahaha! That's a fantastic Petey-meme right there. :D
  • :D

Back on topic, I was a bit disappointed with the ending of episode 2: The Ticketmaster. I wanted it to be longer so we can see them at the ball/gala/pony party. That would have been cool.
  • All of this is way too gay even for me.
  • I wanted it to be longer so we can see them at the ball/gala/pony party. That would have been cool.
    I think we are leading up to the Grand Galloping Gala. In a later episode they make dresses for it. I think it will be a season finale kind of thing.
  • edited February 2011
    I started watching the show to see what all the hooplah is about. It's amusing and entertaining and I can see why it's popular among people. Just seems the hubbub is overdone, but it's the current fad for everything to get all crazy about.
    Yeah, it's good but not great, but being able to participate in the current fad is a significant value-add. Additionally, there is a perverse satisfaction to be gained as a 20+ year-old man watching a show meant primarily for 8-year old girls.
    I wanted it to be longer so we can see them at the ball/gala/pony party. That would have been cool.
    I think we are leading up to the Grand Galloping Gala. In a later episode they make dresses for it. I think it will be a season finale kind of thing.
    Agreed.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I think I may go grab some episodes. I have a 4-day weekend, might as well.
  • edited February 2011
    I think we are leading up to the Grand Galloping Gala.
    The fact that you remembered the actual name of it, kinda frightens me. I have yet to watch the dress making episode.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Who wouldn't want to go to the Grand Galloping Gala?
  • Who wouldn't want to go to the Grand Galloping Gala?
    True.
    Yeah, it's good but not great, but being able to participate in the current fad is a significant value-add. Additionally, there is a perverse satisfaction to be gained as a 20+ year-old man watching a show meant primarily for 8-year old girls.
    Indeed. I won't lie, I was almost teary-eyed at the end of episode 1b.
  • Fluttershy standing up to the dragon got me kinda teary, predictable though it was.
  • I give thumbs up to that Peter-Meme.
  • edited February 2011
    Gushing over a cartoon about ponies is kind of gay y'know.
    Post edited by Kaptain K on
  • edited February 2011
    Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

I think Applejack is my favorite. I've got a soft spot for hard working southern girls.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited February 2011
    NO. EW. Coke is the nastiest shit ever.
    It would be present in a pretty small quantity, like 3/4 of a cup. It would mostly add a little bit of caramel flavor, and acidity to assist in leavening. Add chocolate into those and you probably wouldn't even notice it.

Lay's potato chips contain 36% oil by mass. I'd need to add maybe two tablespoons of oil to pull it off in the correct proportion. That might not even matter if I fatten the buttermilk a bit.

EDIT: They also contain 0.6% salt by mass.

So 200 grams of Lay's potato chips contain roughly 1.2 grams of sodium. A teaspoon of salt contains 2.4 g of sodium. So, 200 g of Lay's chips should contain ~90 g of oil and 1/2 tsp of salt.

EDIT: 200 grams of Lay's chips will in fact make a perfect chocolate cola cake. It'll be just a touch salty, and I think the potato chip flour will add a toasty quality to the cake. Prediction: it will taste approximately like chocolate-covered pretzel cupcakes.

This is doable.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • OzOz
    edited February 2011
    I thought the Grand Galloping Gala was a yearly thing, and the dress making episode's Gala was separate from the ticket episode's one. The seasons changed in episodes between those two, so it wouldn't make sense for it to be the same ball.

EDIT: Also, Rainbow Dash is the best.
    Post edited by Oz on
  • I thought the Grand Galloping Gala was a yearly thing, and the dress making episode's Gala was separate from the ticket episode's one. The seasons changed in episodes between those two, so it wouldn't make sense for it to be the same ball.
    So how come Rainbow Dash didn't join those Blue Angel equivalent dudes? If she failed to do so, why wasn't she all depressed?
  • So how come Rainbow Dash didn't join those Blue Angel equivalent dudes? If she failed to do so, why wasn't she all depressed?
    Maybe the Thunderbolts all got sick, both times?
  • This is doable.
    Yes but why? Almost everything that goes into those thins is gross. I think you underestimate my sensitivity to soda.
  • Yes but why?
    Why indeed? No one makes baked bads on purpose. (Except maybe Spike).
  • edited February 2011
    Yes but why? Almost everything that goes into those thins is gross. I think you underestimate my sensitivity to soda.
    I think you overestimate the amount of soda flavor that this will bring. Have you ever eaten a chocolate cola cake?

And why? Because I can, dammit. :P And because it won't actually be bad.

Basically, I think I can take those things and make it good.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • This is doable.
    Still being able to pull off something like this is an accomplishment. This is Pete's Iron Chef challenge, he just needs to maybe make a few adjustments. Pick different potato chips, different kinds of soda, and do it.

Cooking is a form of Magic!