This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• And these girls need a lesson from Great Teacher Onizuka.
    The should have had Applejack eating apples and they forgot the freckles. Everyone else looks awesome.
  • Could make it an apple flavored black & mild or swisher sweet.
  • edited June 2011
    This would explain so much:
    Post edited by Neito on
  • edited June 2011

(Granted, this song was better when accompanied by Pinkie Pie)

Also, Shutterfly:

Apparently it started with a typo by a Hasbro employee.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • For the past few months now, Best Buy has been giving away a free Shutterfly photo book with the purchase of an mp3 player or digital camera. More than once, I stumbled and said Fluttershy instead of Shutterfly, so I feel for the poor mixed up person.
  • As much as the forum does not enjoy fanfiction, I got such a kick out of this charming story here. It's just so fluffy, funny and soooooo like an episode of the show, I couldn't help BUT recommend it. I don't think I have any faults with it.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/06/story-sweet-apple-capers.html
    Cue Scott bitching about Fluttershy playing an FPS with a controller in 3...2....
  • edited June 2011
    Rewatching the entire series this week and should finish tonight or tomorrow. Anyway, after watching it again, I'm sure that Episode 15 "Feeling Pinkie Keen" is the worst episode in the series.

1) It has no Rainbow Dash in it; but more importantly
    2) The "moral" at the end is absolutely and completely wrong.

The moral of the episode is essentially "faith is good" and "some things you just have to believe". Sorry, but that is not what the episode demonstrates at all. Twilight doesn't start believing because she chooses to, but because she has repeatedly observed Pinkie's twitches and whatnots to have a function and predictive capabilities. While she can not explain how it works, and failed to "scientifically" measure it, she has seen that it does work. She has done rudimentary scientific observation of the phenomenon and it conclusively demonstrated itself to work.

If I had as much information and observation as Twilight had, I would have accepted that a long time before she did, and I am a very skeptical person. Twilight was too skeptical, beyond reason even.

That episode is essentially Doubting Thomas all over again. Thomas only was convinced of Jesus' resurrection, after Jesus appeared in front of him. The Bible is trying to tell people with that that Thomas (and the reader) should have believed all along without doubting it. However, that is wrong, because the disciples that were telling Thomas to believe were only believing themselves because Jesus appeared in front of them. That is a completely false moral!

On another note: Has anybody noticed how they are are cutting some ponies out of episodes, only to set them up for one centered around them the next episode? The episode about The Great and Powerful Trixie has Fluttershy conspicuously missing, in order for her not to be the one taming the Ursa Minor. The episode after that is "Dragonshy". Pinkie's twitching episode has Rainbow Dash missing. The next episode is: Sonic Rainboom!
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • On another note: Has anybody noticed how they are are cutting some ponies out of episodes, only to set them up for one centered around them the next episode? The episode about The Great and Powerful Trixie has Fluttershy conspicuously missing, in order for her not to be the one taming the Ursa Minor. The episode after that is "Dragonshy". Pinkie's twitching episode has Rainbow Dash missing. The next episode is: Sonic Rainboom!
    They obviously intentionally tried to balance the screen time of all the main ponies.
  • They obviously intentionally tried to balance the screen time of all the main ponies.
    Yes, but that doesn't necessarily explain it. You can still balance the screen time by giving each their own episodes focused on them. You don't necessarily have to omit them of any other episodes to do that.
  • They obviously intentionally tried to balance the screen time of all the main ponies.
    Yes, but that doesn't necessarily explain it. You can still balance the screen time by giving each their own episodes focused on them. You don't necessarily have to omit them of any other episodes to do that.
    They probably just didn't have anything for a pony to really say or do in the context of an episode, so there wasn't much reason to include them. Then they don't have to have their voice actors work on that episode, among other things.
  • Possible, but I think Fluttershy missing from the Trixie episode is however very much an attempt to sweep her animal empathy under the rug in order to have the Ursa Minor tamed by Twilight's magic, rather than Fluttershy's ability.
  • Welcome to about...20 pages ago? Everyone basically agrees that Feeling Pinkie Keen is a low-point for the series because of everything you are mentioning. The moral is wrong, forgetting Twilight's own power, lack of Rainbow Dash, Twilight being belligerent, and the fact that Pinkie's "Twitches" never EVER reoccur in the series. Not to mention, until the Hydra, the episode follows the same joke and mind for 15 minutes or so.

There are only 3 Positives of that episode.
    1. Canonization of Derpy Hooves
    2. Twitchy-twitcha-twitch-a-twitch. (I love that phrase)
    3. Canonization of Gummy (Who reappeared, which gives the episode more meaning/weight)
  • There are only 6 Positives of that episode.
    4. Hydra
    5. Twilight on FAYA!
    6. Froggy Bottom Bog
  • Actually I don't think that Feeling Pinkie Keen is that bad of an episode. Yes, I agree that "Leap of faith" -part and the moral weren't that good, but it is no reason so hate the whole episode. I think it had some quite funny moments, there was exciting action scene in the end with the Hydra and as a minor point, for some reason, I love it tha Twilight stands on a soap box to give her magic speech.
  • edited June 2011
    I think the moral could be saved by simply re-purposing the episode to be about the scientific method in this way:

Hypothisis: Pinkie Pie's involuntary muscle movements can accurately predict, within perimeters, certain events.
    Method: Observe Pinkie and make careful note of all involuntary movements, her reaction, and the events that happen after each spasm.
    Conclusion: Hypothisis confirmed.

Moral of the Story: "Dear Princess Celestia, Today I learned that we all need to be open to change our minds if new facts emerge. Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle"

You really wouldn't have to change the episode that much to change it from "leap of faith" to "I change my mind as I learn new things" which I think is a great message to teach young kids. It makes them more inclined to think for themselves and not simply believe what they're told.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • I personally didn't find Feeling Pinkie Keen or it's moral to be that bad. I'm personally not that stuck on "we must know the root cause of everything" since there will always be limits to our knowledge. Not that the episode is particularly effective and communicating that. And there's always the whole "any deterministic system could be represented by a nondeterministic system, and any nondeterministic system could be represented by a deterministic system". It's possible Pinkie Pie's tail just happened, and was not a cause or an effect.
  • The writer for "Feeling Pinkie Keen", Dave Polsky, is also responsible for "Over a Barrel". He is the only one on the writing staff that has non-animated experience for that matter. I felt both episodes were less than ideal and didn't care for them, compared to all the others (save for Fluttershy wanting to be a tree).
  • Does Fillomino (sp?) remind anybody else of Inko-chan (the parrot) from Toradora?
  • Does Fillomino (sp?) remind anybody else of Inko-chan (the parrot) from Toradora?
    Philamena.
    Philamena.
    That was the association I immediately jumped to as well.
  • The writer for "Feeling Pinkie Keen", Dave Polsky, is also responsible for "Over a Barrel". He is the only one on the writing staff that has non-animated experience for that matter. I felt both episodes were less than ideal and didn't care for them, compared to all the others (save for Fluttershy wanting to be a tree).
    I'd disagree. I LOVE Over A Barrel, I'd easily say it's one of the funniest episodes. And each member of the main cast gets a moment for hilarity and/or for the plot. But at the same time, I get what you are saying. A lot of the writers of MLP:FIM were previous writers from Faust's other projects, like Chris Savino and Amy Keating Rogers.

Over time, I think people grew to accept Feeling Pinkie Keen because there's lots of small bits in there that are funny, but it does pale compared to the rest of the episodes.
  • Over A Barrel is the best episode in the series.
  • Best scene. FOREVER! It makes the episode for me.
  • Over A Barrel is the best episode in the series.
    I disagree
  • Party of One is by-far my favorite.