This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• edited August 2012
    Is the weird "anime girl run" where one flails one's arms to the side a thing people actually do? i see it kinda often but it looks really weird.
    I know that run. I have seen a couple people do it IRL, but not many.

However, I do say that I see a lot of people running in NYC, and very very few of them have proper form. Once I actually saw a girl running who had textbook form, I was blown away.
    People in Seattle seem to be not bad, which is strange because when I was living in Pullman where I saw a lot of people run daily it was painful how bad people's form was. I don't mean like its kinda close it was like how the fuck have you not hurt yourself yet?

Also

Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Is the weird "anime girl run" where one flails one's arms to the side a thing people actually do? I see it kinda often but it looks really weird.
    They must have toast hanging out of their mouth too.
  • Once I actually saw a girl running who had textbook form, I was blown away.
    Was she running to or off a high place?
  • I think for a headset I'll go for Joe's recommendation of the Sennheiser 202. Any mic recs? I'd prefer one with a 3.5mm jack.
  • edited August 2012
    If you're doing analog in and the mic isn't XLR or 1/4" going through a dedicated interface, you're doing it wrong. Get yourself a usb mic like the Blue Snowflake or the Samson C01U. Both are solid entry level condenser mics that will give you leaps and bounds better quality that anything that would plug into 3.5mm.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • If you're doing analog in and the mic isn't XLR or 1/4" going through a dedicated interface, you're doing it wrong.
    Not if all you're doing is gaming and Skype.
  • Yeah, I'm not planning to do seriously recording - there's absolutely no reason for me to drop $50 or more on a microphone.
  • My advice is to get your nice set of headphones for music and stuff and then get the cheapest Logitech headset for everything else.
  • What's the best way to get rid of used books/manga/comics and maybe get a few bucks for them?
  • I just took mine to Half Priced Books, but you don't get much for manga these days.
  • It's just that it's seemingly as troublesome to try and give them away to a library or something because they get so many donations from people just trying to get rid of their books that they don't take them, or won't take all of them. And selling them individually online for like $.01 is highly impractical.
  • If you're looking for easy money, HPB is your best bet. If you can find some local anime club or something donate it to them.
  • edited August 2012
    The only HPBs in California are in the bay area :/

Didn't we have a thread for comic trading? Can't remember what it was called.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • If you're doing analog in and the mic isn't XLR or 1/4" going through a dedicated interface, you're doing it wrong.
    Not if all you're doing is gaming and Skype.
    I still recommend the Snowflake.

• It's fifty bucks. I'm still in college and haven't had any well-paying jobs yet. No.
  • edited August 2012
    It's fifty bucks. I'm still in college and haven't had any well-paying jobs yet. No.
    If you have an Aldi near you, then keep an eye on their specials. They occasionally have a decent headset under the Fission brand, it's not the best headset in the world, but it's certainly no slouch. Should be about 20 bucks, if that. It's what I use when I'm on FNPL.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Would anyone be interested in me cross posting a steel panthers game LP against a friend here?
  • That would be awesome!
  • Does anyone know how to make a wonder in a Civ 5 mod? My research has found me how-tos for just about everything but wonders.
  • Nevermind. Reverse-engineering a mod I downloaded has solved this.
  • Is there anything that I should bring to college that I wouldn't expect? Typical freshman mistakes? Anything RIT specific?
  • Learn how to do your gotdamn laundry, eat right, and wash yourself. Go to sleep and wake up at a reasonable time. Take care of yourself.
  • Do you americans really pronounce "Gouda" (the cheese) as "Goo-da", rather than "Gow-da" (or even more correctly like this which can't be rendered into phonetic english).
  • Goo-dah. I've never in my life heard it pronounced any other way, either in person or in any movie, television show, or other work.
  • Same. Even when I've been in France I hear it as "goo-dah."
  • Learn how to do your gotdamn laundry, eat right, and wash yourself. Go to sleep and wake up at a reasonable time. Take care of yourself.
    Already good on the first three, working on the fourth.
  • edited August 2012

Here's how someone pronounces the city in german at about 28 seconds in. I already posted the native pronunciation above.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Thats how my German speaking girlfriend has drilled me to say it.
  • edited August 2012
    I know more than one internationally trained European chef that calls it "goo-dah." Same goes for every cheese maker and monger I've ever met.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I know more than one internationally trained European chef that call it "goo-dah." Same goes for every cheese maker and monger I've ever met.
    How many of them are from the Netherlands?