This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Yeah, that's basically how I see it. I'd rather play the ones I paid for, but it might be your only option to pirate it now. Its like the old "illegally download music and then just give some money to the band" idea.
  • I only suggested it because seems to be your only option. You might be able to disable DLC sets in steam, and then enable them one by one, but I'm not sure. Other then that, I got nothing.
  • Does anyone know of a reliable MKV codec other than the CCCP one? The standard CCCP one works on my chipset but causes gross framerate chug with boo-ray rips, and the DivX one gets rid of the framerate chug but also gets rid of the audio.

I just wanna watch Redline with the flatmates. T_T
  • When I tried to watch it, VLC gave me massive framerate drops (actually, the frames would just freeze for up to a second at a time) when I tried to watch it in 1080p, but 720p worked fine.
  • All I have is a 1080p rip. Am I an idiot, and software downscaling is an option I just missed?
  • edited November 2011
    The CoreAVC codec has MKV's but it's a paid one. I'm sure you could find it for free somehow though ;)
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • edited November 2011
    I actually re-downloaded Redline in 720p to see if it would work better, and it did.
    So no, I don't think there's a downscaling option.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • If you are wanting to watch 1080 content, most likely it will be GPU accelerated, I take it you're watching on a laptop to get it to the TV so it's doubtful you'd have CPU power but something like ION or better should do it.
    Try using SPlayer, the GPU accel should kick in straight away.
  • edited November 2011
    What kind of hardware are you using?

Downscaling is definitely not an option - you still have to process the same amount of raw data. It actually takes more computational effort to downscale because you then also have to do processing to work out what to put in each pixel.

Omnutia's suggestion of SPlayer might work, though I don't know what it uses internally.

MPC-HC (which I presume is what you're using with CCCP) actually comes with its own decoder which is capable of doing pretty good hardware acceleration, so that's worth trying. To use it with subtitles, you need the following steps:

In Options->Playback->Output:
    • If you're using Windows XP, select VMR9 renderless
    • If you're using Windows Vista/7, select EVR custom renderer
    • In Options->Playback:
    • Tick the checkbox "Auto-load subtitles"
    • In Options->Internal Filters:
    • Tick H264 / AVC (DXVA) in the Transform Filters
    It might not work with your particular video chip, but it's worth a try.

Otherwise, make sure you have the latest version of CCCP. You could also try the latest FFDShow if there's some new additions, but that shouldn't be necessary. The latest versions of the standard FFDShow decoders that are used by most decent media players (i.e. not VLC) are pretty solid on the whole.
    If that doesn't do the job, FFDShow does in fact have a hardware acceleration option; with CCCP you can just go into the settings and tick the box labeled "DXVA H264". From what I know, it tends to be a bit lacking, though.
    Alternatively, you can obtain CoreAVC, and then you can enable it in CCCP in a similar way - there's a checkbox you can tick for it in the same settings pane. CoreAVC is significantly faster than FFDShow, enough so that it can, for example, do a decent job playing 720p video on a netbook.

If none of these options work acceptably, you can always just get a 720p version.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited November 2011
    I'm still getting a few glitches here and there, despite the fact that your advice helped a great deal. If someone has CoreAVC and wants to throw it on Mediafire for me, I'd appreciate it. If not, it's only $13. I might just buy it.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited November 2011
    Can't you torrent it?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Can't you torrent it?
    Nope, Uni VPN. Torrents are watched for.
  • Can't you torrent it?
    Nope, Uni VPN. Torrents are watched for.
    My mate at university of Leeds used a combination of usenet and rapidshare to get around that.
  • Does anyone else sometimes go days without eating because you just forgot to eat?
  • Not days, but I do forget meals sometimes.
  • I do that quite frequently.
  • If you need to pirate and are in a situation where torrents are blocked, investing in a Usenet service isn't a bad idea.
  • Is there any way to block certain threads from appearing here on Vanilla 2? I'm thinking that I'd like to "follow" certain ones more often than others.
  • Is there any way to block certain threads from appearing here on Vanilla 2? I'm thinking that I'd like to "follow" certain ones more often than others.
    Just bookmark the threads you like and only look at your bookmarked threads.
  • Where can I upload an image file that is larger than 5 MB?
  • Where can I upload an image file that is larger than 5 MB?
    Dropbox works pretty well.
  • Yeah, but you have to pay above a certain point.
  • Yeah, but you have to pay above a certain point.
    That's true, but unless you're either hosting more than 3 gig of stuff, or using a large amount of bandwidth, you're fine with a free account. I don't really know what he's doing with it exactly, so it's a pending-further-information sort of suggestion.

• Hey Scrym, are messages private or "private" like whispers?