This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Comments

• I find that first-person-melee gets boring fast. Combat is often either "hold down left click and look in his general direction, maybe run back-and-forth a little" for weak and moderately difficult monsters, and "run backwards for ten minutes while doing little damage with spells/arrows" for anything difficult. Looting caves seemed cool until I realized that it was never worthwhile. The leveling system was awful. I made a thief and spent a lot of time sneaking around stealing shit. Most of it was crap, but I leveled up by improving my stealthy skills. Then I decided to do a quest that involved fighting. Because of all the levels I gained with little combat increase, I got the shit kicked out of me.
  • edited June 2011
    Then I decided to do a quest that involved fighting. Because of all the levels I gained with little combat increase, I got the shit kicked out of me.
    This was a design flaw, I agree. If you must use this idea, I would like to see the challenges increase based on what skills increased. Example: More items behind better locked doors and more patrolling guards if you level up sneak... but the idea in itself sucks.
    I think Fallout: New Vegas did it the best, there are dangerous ass areas you just should go in, the people in the world talk of them. 'Yo I would never go there. Everyone who goes there dies." Even at the beginning of the game if you accidentally venture in there because you still don't have your bearings, there are people like, Hey man this area's dangerous. I would try another way.
    It makes it seem like a living world you can eventually conquer when you get more power. (like the idea of the gap in zelda you need the hook shot for.)
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
  • dsfdsf
    edited June 2011
    well any back on to topic. I liked Oblivion. I didn't like how it crashed incessantly on my PC and then even on my PS3. Seriously, how can you be unstable on a console? Your technical specs don't change. I know, it's emulator running the PC version on the console so yeah...... but still seriously.... don't be lazy fix yo damn bugs. I really liked modding the PC version too. I still play my modded version even now.

Even now, I am playing fallout new vegas which is basically an oblivion mod.
    That's weird, Oblivion didn't have any trouble on my PC, of course this is also why I am waiting a year to play Fallout: New Vegas.
    I figured out why Bethesda games crashed on my system. Every time nVidia does a driver update they reset my driver's power management parameter to adaptive. This makes Bethesda games crash the driver and makes the driver reset itself and dump all the video memory from the game which the game detects and then crashes. It's dumb but I have it managed now.
    Post edited by dsf on
  • Elder Scrolls Scrym
  • edited June 2011
    Elder Scrolls play lifecycle:
    1. Install. Be awed by updated graphics. Do some quests. Enjoy the novelty.
    2. Realize you have absolutely fucked up your character because you did not do extensive out-of-game research to determine optimal methods for leveling and stat distribution.
    3. Say "fuck it" and use console codes to cheat on everything from teleporting to unlocking all the spells.
    4. Dick around in the main storyline, download mods to make yourself look fancy. Eventually, not all the fancy clothes and armor in the world will stop you from being bored.
    5. Stop playing and promptly forget about the game until a new Elder Scrolls is announced.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • They've simplified the stats system a lot in this one so hopefully 2 doesn't happen.
  • They've simplified the stats system a lot in this one so hopefully 2 doesn't happen.
    Yeah - apparently, no more stupidity like leveling too high from running and jumping, or stupid shit like that.
  • video
    I now have some level of interest in Skyrim.
  • How I feel when I see anything Skyrim related...

Let it be known that all I know about the game is contained in this thread. Let it also be known this was stoen from Reddit but lol'worthy, hence the repost.
  • edited June 2011
    That's why we need artificial intelligence, or ingenious large-scale ways to channel human intelligence into generating content.
    That hard problem of making game narratives through AI is being worked on by some academics, some independents like the Dwarf Fortress folks, and bored mathematician/comp.sci. people who got all hyped up about how amazing Oblivion was going to be with a living, thriving social ecosystem only to find it a scripted can of worms (e.g. myself).

Funny thing is after hearing about how amazing Oblivion was, I started trying to put some math to how such an amazing AI system might work. After playing the game just a little bit, I worked a lot harder because apparently hard coded script is the industry's version of this. The promise of following a character around and learning about the character (which was BS for Oblivion) has, in my mind, become a founding axiom for any AI system that could begin to approach the narrative generating capabilities of DMs.
    Large scale player-controlled dynamics are one thing I'd like to see more of; that's why economic systems are typically the most interesting aspect of most MMOs to me.
    The closest anyone has come to this sort of thing is probably EVE Online, but although the machinations of player corporations are cool, the game itself lacks appeal.
    This. I hate on most MMOs because of the complete lack of true economy (infinite resources --> infinite deflation --> items have no value). I want to love EVE, but can't; the jokes about massively multiplayer spreadsheets are pretty on target.

I'll wait for my roommate to pickup Skyrim (as he surely will), watch him play it an hour or two, and make my decision if I should waste any of my brain on thinking about the game beyond that.

Daggerfall was a life changing experience.
    Post edited by Byron on
  • Daggerfall was a life changing experience.
    You can get Daggerfall for free from Bethesda, you know.
    You can get Daggerfall for free from Bethesda, you know.
    It isn't as life changing now.
  • It isn't as life changing now.
    Well, yeah, but still, Free Daggerfall.
  • Well, yeah, but still, Free Daggerfall.
    If only it ran on DosBox on my tiny netbook. I <3 my tiny netbook. It doesn't love the graphics intensive DOS games.
  • edited June 2011
    I like how a thread about a game for 2011/2012 diverges into love for a game from like 1993/1994.

#1 reason I thought Daggerfall was better than Morrowind: couldn't climb up the houses in Morrowind and then stick my tongue out at all those poor guards stuttering out "Halt!" from their two dimensional sprites that had no knowledge of the Z plane.

EDIT:
    Will the new oneSkyrim reintroduce the climbing skill?
    Post edited by Byron on
  • edited September 2011
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Alright, I'm excited again. Combat looks really fun.
  • Question. Can I dual wield shields?
  • @Dromaro: If you include Fallout 3 in the middle, it makes more sense.
  • I really wish this game had multiplayer so I could break my rule about hot new games.
  • I really wish this game had multiplayer so I could break my rule about hot new games.
    See, I have sort of a rule about that. For example, I refuse to buy BF3 right now. Now, unlike most boycotts where people buy and play the game anyway, I just won't buy it because it's nearly a hundred fucking dollars. I'm sorry, I'm keen on BF3, but not that fucking keen.
    However, I did buy Arkham city the other day. Because it was $40, which is an entirely reasonable price, despite being a pre-order on a AAA title.
  • edited November 2011
    If they let me use a different shield in each hand, I will get this game. If I can't, fuck em, I'll buy it in three years for five bucks from a shady looking guy... at gamestop.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on

Tank Mage, enchanted mace, smash villager.

Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt! Halt!

Cast your customized levitate spell and fly up in the air, watch the guards clump directly underneath you, fly down and whack one with your mace then fly back up.

Walking around Daggerfall at night and hearing "Vengeance..." shouted is still one of the few moments where a game made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
  • Dwarf Fortress is better.
  • Dwarf Fortress is better.
    So is sex, but at this moment, I'd say that skyrim is at least a realistic goal.
  • edited November 2011
    If you put your mind to it, you could be the best fire engine driver ever.
    You could drive the shit outta that fire engine, and together you could win Dakar.

Post edited by Casa Vino on
  • edited November 2011
    If you put your mind to it, you could be the best fire engine driver ever.
    You could drive the shit outta that fire engine, and together you could win Dakar.
    Okay, Fuck Skyrim, I'm now thinking about exactly how possible it would be to take a firetruck on the Dakar.

Post edited by Churba on

• My body is ready.