This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Comments

• I find the menus to be really fucking poorly designed. It's horrible and should be totally revamped into something at least marginally usable. Pausing in the middle of combat to navigate down a list of weapons to find what I want? And then it can only be bound to my left hand? What the fuck. There's a row of numbers right above which every normal game uses to switch weapons.

Why do I have to open a radial menu which forces me to move my hand off the mouse? Fine, I can handle having to use the arrow keys. But then I have to move my hand back to the fucking mouse to select which hand I want to wield an item. Or what about those confirmation boxes that also force me to move my hand back to my mouse? Pressing enter is apparently something that's never heard of as a way of saying YES.

The UI paradigms are so unnecessary and obtuse that I'm going to have to call consolized bullshit. I mean, surely the UI works if you have a 360 controller, right? Please tell me it is so, because if this doesn't even work on consoles then it's worse than I thought. That's the only way I can see something as wonky as this ever being considered a good idea. I hope mods can fix this, somehow.

As for the game itself, combat is somewhat better than oblivion. The weapon change system is shitty though. I haven't played around with magic yet. The leveling system isn't a box of bollocks like oblivion. I still have more to play, but it's 4 am and I just wanted to rant about the UI.
  • Pausing in the middle of combat to navigate down a list of weapons to find what I want? And then it can only be bound to my left hand? What the fuck.
    Left click for main, right click for off-hand.
    As for the game itself, combat is somewhat better than oblivion. The weapon change system is shitty though.
    I just favorite what I use often, then just use the favorites menu. It's alright, not perfect, but alright.

• edited November 2011
    Vindication!

Almost. In all fairness, Wabbajack was a charming addition!
    Post edited by Casa Vino on
  • edited November 2011
    Vindication!

Almost. In all fairness, Wabbajack was a charming addition!
    The flavortext books have always been somewhat amusing, though some of them are pretty dry. I recall one from Oblivion that was pretty much a cat-person on human bodice-ripper.

Also, let's not forget "EAT THE LEEK, GODDAMN YOU!"
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Remove your vile corruption from this holy place, or I, Dovahkiin, last of the Dragonborn, will smite thee.
  • Leave the Giants' Mammonths alone....
  • I don't hate the game. But my best friend's playing it, and I'm guessing it'll be some time before I see him on again. This is why I'm not a gamer.
  • So yeah, sorely tempted by this. Ultimately Oblivion didn't do it for me because the combat was clunky, the world was super generic, and the quests that I ran into before giving up after 3-4 hours weren't very interesting. The world fell pretty flat after realizing most NPCs had a list of maybe 4-5 one liners to deliver unless they were important and it was irritating as hell having the world level up with you so you actually got weaker unless you were really careful about what you were doing. I guess the combat is better, but how much better? Does the world have more flavor? Is the writing closer to Bioware standard?
  • edited November 2011
    I can't play Skyrim until June (no gaming rig in the UK), but when I do, I will create a maxed-out unarmed warrior and become the One True Successor to the Divine Fist of The North Star. Killing everything with bare-knuckle decapitations.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited November 2011
    So I was looking at the latest Skyrim mods.

Nice priorities.
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • Are you SURPRISED?
  • My cup 'O vindication doth overflow...
  • goty
    That has happened to me more than once. FUCK those giant assholes.
  • I played my first two hours last night. My first order of business was, of course, to rob a king blind.
  • I played my first two hours last night. My first order of business was, of course, to rob a king blind.
    With emphasis on "blind", I hope?

• edited November 2011
    Probably not super necessary to post this here but here is how to remove mouse acceleration in Skyrim

Go to your Steam Directory -> steamapps -> common -> skyrim -> Skyrim
    Create a backup of the SkyrimPrefs.ini file
    Open the file, then scroll down to where it says [Controls] and find bMouseAcceleration=1
    Change to bMouseAcceleration=0
    Save, exit, and play

A few more tweaks
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • I find the menus to be really fucking poorly designed.
    Have you tried playing with an Xbox 360 controller?

Disclaimer: I do not know anything about this game.
  • Fuck, this game is so good. It's everything I wanted and much better than Oblivion IMHO.
  • goty
    That has happened to me more than once. FUCK those giant assholes.

I've slain 4 giants now. Not only that, I randomly found the Standing Stones that allow you to, once per day, rez all surrounding humanoids.

I killed a giant legit, raised him and the 3 bandits nearby and walked over to the other giant and his 2 mammoths. Seeing as I'm a Wood Elf, I used Charm animal on one of the mammoths and then shit got real.

Suffice to say, I'm VERY hard pressed to find a better GoTY candidate.
  • I approve of this.
  • Today I punched a saber tooth tiger to death, saw a giant punch a moose into space, got jumped by a gang of vampire mages, and finally found the damn thieves guild.
  • I'm almost level 12, and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of this game so far.
  • I have three options with Skyrim.
    1. I wait until I have a new PC that can run it and buy it then. That will be far in to the future, but at least at that point the price has probably gone down.
    2. I buy it on Xbox360. I could get it soon, but xbox means no mods.
    3. I stop caring about the whole game and not play it at all.

• I'm almost level 12, and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of this game so far.
    Replace 12 with 20, and I feel much the same. I'm barely into the main quest, I've only got three dragons(well, technically four, but it was a Bone dragon and doesn't really count), Three words of power, contracted vampirisim but cured it before it became permanent, bought a house, decorated it with my spoils, become the lord of a small town, chilled with some ghosts, fucked up all manner of horrible beasties, became the head of a magical college, became a bard, wrecked a ship, took over a pirate grotto for my own use. And I'm barely anywhere, with my map so far remaining depressingly empty. Jeeeeesssus.