This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Other Minecraft Server: Midgard

Comments

• No, dedicated. 16GB ram with two 3Ghz dual core Zeons.
  • You should be fine then. I run one on a semi-weedy VPS without too many problems. I also use a ramdisk for the world data, as IO is usually more of a problem than CPU usage. 512MB should last you a good long while.

I personally run a "vanilla" server with a modified version of this script: https://github.com/endofzero/Minecraft-Sheller - essentially it just uses screen to run the server and lets you send commands to the console in cron jobs or whatever. It wouldn't be too hard to cook up your own, but I was just lazy.

• Oooh, this sounds fun, please add Reanimatronic.

I hear that I've been missing out on a lot, by only playing singleplayer minecraft...
  • Oooh, this sounds fun, please add Reanimatronic.

I hear that I've been missing out on a lot, by only playing singleplayer minecraft...
    You're added.
  • Can I join in on it? My Minecraft name is Totally Guy.

I got the game to play on my friend's server. But it's only been turned on once in the last few months. So I've been playing lonely mode.
  • Correction... Totally_Guy bleh.
  • Correction... Totally_Guy bleh.
    You're in.

• Can you add joshbytes? Thanks man.
  • Since I got the latest client update it now says "Outdated server" when I've tried to get in.
  • Since I got the latest client update it now says "Outdated server" when I've tried to get in.
    He probably hasn't updated it to 1.1 yet but he will eventually.
  • I'm currently waiting for Bukkit to update for 1.1 compatibility.
  • Can you add lowballer14 please? Thanks!
  • Can you add lowballer14 please? Thanks!
    Added. Also, Midgard is now Minecraft 1.1 compatible.

• Can you add mageos, please?
  • Can you also add joshbytes also?
  • I started making some new stuff on the server, currently I've been building a dungeon of sorts. Nothing in there to kill you yet though, but figured people might want to take a look at it as it exists now, since I'm going to make it a bit more derelict as I add enemies. I did put a nice treasure at the end.

Anyway you'll find the entrance at x=191 z=392. It's near a tree house I made in the center of a marsh lake.

Also I would recommend downloading the DokuCraft texture pack before going through the dungeon.
  • You should build a few little hotels for those of use who haven't built anything yet, so we have somewhere to hide during the night.
  • Whitelist please? Vhdblood.
  • Oops, can you tell I haven't checked this thread in a bit?

mageos, vhdblood, and joshbytes are all whitelisted.
  • Mind adding me as well? AhcosNevets
  • Not at all.
  • Can you please add cpoundman please? Thanks! :^D
  • Oh man.... I jumped off the floating fortress into the lake. I hit a lillypad...
  • Any chance an old lurker could get on the whitelist? Lusankya001
  • I've whitelisted cpoundman and Lusankya001.
  • I just added the server software to my server for the use of my daughter and her friends. If I had known how easy this would be I would have done it sooner!
  • I just added the server software to my server for the use of my daughter and her friends. If I had known how easy this would be I would have done it sooner!
    Y'know, we disagree from time to time, but seriously, you're a pretty cool dad.

• edited April 2012
    What version of Minecraft is the server running?

Could be an idea to put the version number in the server description.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Whatever the most current version is, I used wget to download it. I also downloaded the script so it runs as a service.

Any tips?
  • What fun. My daughter set me to creative mode so I could fly around and see stuff. Then she set me back to survival mode and I fell to my death.

Now I understand why this game is so addictive. We spent the better part of the day mining under a large hill. I ended up building a huge cobblestone fort on top of the hill with a fairly high guard tower. Our delving took us down to the planet's molten core where I almost died in lava and we found tons of caves.

Oh yeah... She found cats somewhere...