This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Other Minecraft Server: Midgard

Comments

• As of this morning, Midgard is running Minecraft 1.2.5.
  • Is everything in SP also in MP?
  • To the best of my knowledge, yes.

Also, for any rules-of-Minecraft-related question, the Minecraft Wiki is your friend.
  • Could someone white list me? Same username.
  • There are cats in minecraft now?
  • And dragons.
  • I'm going to make a pen of cats.
  • I will play Minecraft again...after May.
  • I'm going to make a pen of dragons.
  • While I like the cats they sound like they are in distress.
  • While I like the cats they sound like they are in distress.
    My guess?

1. Bother cat until it makes cat noises
    2. Record said cat noises
    3. Cat noise sound effect is now that of an annoyed and bothered cat.
  • Had some weird anomalies on my server:

When flying in creative mode I can see the dungeons underground before the land on top is drawn.

There was a huge invisible rectangular section near the spawn. Looked about 64x64 straight down. It acted as if the terrain was there but invisible.
  • The two symptoms you describe are different issues related to the same thing under the hood: Chunks. These are the base units the game stores/sends/loads/coordinates between different users.

The first is a chunk-loading issue. They are loading slowly, more than likely because your players are using the farthest view range and playing concurrently in separate parts of the map, which forces more sectors to be forced to different machines at the same time. If you are running a MP server wrapper, there are pluggins you can use to augment that, but it's a code/bandwidth problem at its root.

The second is a chunk error. There's nothing you can do about it. It's just shitty code. But reloading the server will probably move the glitch in most cases.
  • Could someone white list me? Same username.
    You're in.

• If you could white-list Lost_Heretic that'd be awesome. :)
  • Does TNT ever get old?
  • Does TNT ever get old?
    Only temporarily.
  • I hit bedrock by some lava today and filled the area with about 200 TNT. Yeah....
  • If you could white-list Lost_Heretic that'd be awesome. :)
    Done.

• Experimenting with a bukkit server. Anyone familiar with it? Suggested mods?
  • Bukkit is what I use for Midgard.

Disclaimer: As with any plugin-driven system, I recommend identifying problems first (things you want not provided by default), then solutions. Adding plugins only makes it harder to maintain, especially when Minecraft updates.

WorldEdit is great for larger-scale construction than is normally feasible. CreativeGates is the least offensive teleporter-creation-and-management plugin I've found. Multiworld (especially in combination with CreativeGates) makes managing and switching between different worlds fairly straightforward.

CreativeStick is another good enhanced-building plugin, but I don't know if it's up-to-date off the top of my head.
  • So far I have only added the Essentials plugin to the system, which my daughter requested.

Funny thing is that when I created this world last night I spawned on a tiny island with nothing on it. All horizons were blank. Took several "swim that away!" attempts before I found land with anything on it.
  • Hilarity ensues.
  • Borderguard puts an invisible wall around an area of X blocks to prevent players from wandering and enlarging the map (which causes massive slowdowns if it grows too big).

TextWrap gets rid of the stupid line breaks in chat.

WorldEdit is, in fact, indispensable for big projects. CreativeStick has not worked for some time now (unless there's been an update since I stopped playing).

kFeather is brilliant for allowing players to quickly warp within a line of sight.

Most plugins are completely useless except for very specific events/situations.
  • If it's at all possible, do ya think you could throw Burtnur onto the whitelist?
  • If it's at all possible, do ya think you could throw Burtnur onto the whitelist?
    It's more than possible. I might even call it likely.

• edited June 2012
    I built a hedge maze in the desert behind Sultana's Pleasure Palace.

Too bad I couldn't place cacti in some of the trickier dead ends.
    Post edited by Totally Guy on
  • Santana's pleasure palace? Is that were you keep your black magic women?
  • Nah, just mad guitar solos.
  • Can you whitelist daddienizzle? Thanks :)