This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Well you could say Diablo III is innovative by that definition because there are new classes. Technically this fulfills the clause something new or different introduced.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Does the game do something new that has not been done before? This is an objectively answerable question. Invention is when you make an entire thing that is new. Innovation is when you modify an existing invention with new techniques or methods.
    That depends on how fine a level of detail you go into when comparing things.
    On one level, no game since the first game is innovative because they're all just games.
    On another level, every single game is innovative because it is distinguishable from all other games and therefore there must be something different to it.
    Most of the time the level to compare things at is obvious.
  • Well you could say Diablo III is innovative by that definition because there are new classes. Technically this fulfills the clause something new or different introduced.
    Other games have had classes and have added more classes before.
  • edited May 2012
    Most of the time the level to compare things at is obvious.
    That doesn't make it objective, though.
    Well you could say Diablo III is innovative by that definition because there are new classes. Technically this fulfills the clause something new or different introduced.
    Other games have had classes and have added more classes before.
    Ah, but he's not saying the innovation is having classes or the idea of adding classes, he's saying the innovation is a specific class that was added - though these are also quite possibly not new.

Anyways, Diablo III is clearly innovative because it's the first game ever to be titled Diablo III. No other game before it has been titled that.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Further complicating things, two people can invent a thing independently.
    Nothing subjective whatsoever. What does Diablo III do that is new and has not been done before?
    Probably a lot of little things that won't be immediately obvious. Individual mechanics could be entirely new inventions, for what it's worth.

As for interesting innovations, the auction house system and real world economy thing will definitely be something to watch.
  • edited May 2012
    Isn't refining a sort of innovation? Blizzard's a company thats pretty reknown for refining genres/games, and I guess that's sort of innovating... but not quite?
    Post edited by johndis on
  • Well you could scrutinize every little aspect of the game and call it innovative. You could go as far as saying the graphics are innovative. I don't think people would agree with you but by definition it's true. I suppose I find more fault with the idea that this guy's perception of innovation is "perfect execution" which I don't think is innovative, but by definition would considered to be so.
  • I think if you are talking about the game being innovative, then the innovation needs to be in the game mechanics themselves. Taking Diablo 2, improving graphics, making new maps, adding classes, new soundtrack, etc. are all superficial modifications that are obvious and not new. It can't just be new for that game. It needs to be new for games. Other people have released sequels with improved graphics before.
  • edited May 2012
    And that's what I'm saying, it depends on what level you choose to compare elements of a given object. I tend to look at innovation in games in the way that you described. I wouldn't say Warcraft 3 is innovative because everything in it has been done before. Same with Starcraft, its been done before, it also just happens to be the best at doing it. I would say WoW is innovative in its mechanism design (is that the word I'm looking for?) but the rest of the game is the same as all other MMOs before it. Balancing combat mechanics, to me, is not innovation.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited May 2012
    Looking at the whole game as "innovation" vs. "not-innovation" sounds silly to me. Warcraft III did innovate in a variety of ways from other RTS games and had some genuinely interesting experimentation in areas. Just look at the engine, and realize that the engine that ran that game also supported every one of those crazy custom maps. Compared to the options available in Starcraft, it was quite a step up. It reinvented that wheel quite a bit to get there.

Hell, WoW innovates the genre quite often, while still boiling down to an Everquestian MMO experience. Things are complicated though. And whole polish is not innovation and innovation is not polish, polish can be innovation and innovation can be polish.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • http://wcsaga.com/

Wing Commander fan project apparently.
  • edited May 2012
    Because we may purchase games from indie devs at really cheap prices this week only.

Also because it is on the list BUY NYXQUEST!
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Here's the next non-Kickstarter adventure game game by Double Fine:

• I learned today that the new Binding of Isaac Expansion: Wrath of Lamb is coming out next Monday.
  • I learned today that the new Binding of Isaac Expansion: Wrath of Lamb is coming out next Monday.
    FUCK YES
    FUCK YES
    Aw shit, and I've been playing the Humble Bundle .EXE the whole time. Best go redeem that on Steam...
  • Anyone know if the Steam version of Ticket To Ride is any good? I've been wanting a good European style board game to play over Steam with friends and the price is right, but I want to be sure I'm not getting a stinker.
  • 38 Studios Lays Off Entire Staff

Damnit! And here I thought Kingdoms of Amalur was an awesome example of the industry. In retrospect, I guess the game was a little too risky for a new studio, but still, awful to hear this news...
  • Thing is, it wasn't exactly a new studio. Most of the work had already been done for another game by the folks down at Big Huge Games in Baltimore, MD (FYI, a good friend of mine works there), an already established company that was bought by 38 Studios after THQ was planning on disbanding them. They just retrofitted an existing game they were working on to fit in the Amalur universe.
  • Witcher 2 devs CD Projekt Red announce an RPG based on D20 Cyberpunk. Fuck yes.
  • edited June 2012
    So, the new You Don't Know Jack facebook game is finally working for everyone, and it is awesome. It's basically a five round YDKJ game. They didn't "Facebook" or "Microtransaction" it up (well, you get 1 free game a day, 1 when you level, 1 for certain achievements, and can buy more for varying but fairly reasonable prices), and the humor is just as biting and funny as it has been in previous YDKJ games.

(Also, it parodies "Pay to win" by having an achievement that you can literally buy for twenty cents)
    Post edited by Neito on
  • edited June 2012
    So, the new You Don't Know Jack facebook game is finally working for everyone, and it is awesome. It's basically a five round YDKJ game. They didn't "Facebook" or "Microtransaction" it up (well, you get 1 free game a day, 1 when you level, 1 for certain achievements, and can buy more for varying but fairly reasonable prices), and the humor is just as biting and funny as it has been in previous YDKJ games.

(Also, it parodies "Pay to win" by having an achievement that you can literally buy for twenty cents)
    I'll pay twenty cents to automatically block + defriend anyone who buys that achievement.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • You could always just punch them in the face if you meet them. I do like that it's placed, in the store, under the category "Stupid".
  • So. They want $30 for Gods and Kings, which is now the sale price for the actual game. I want it in my life but that is just too much money. Has anyone else picked it up yet and given it a try?
  • Wait, it is that much bigger and still only has one circle pad? Now I am wondering if they are going to make a Circle Pad Pro for that model.
  • Nintendo Announces a New, Bigger 3DS. Meet the 3DS XL.
    Jesus Nintendo, way to be consistent.
    Wow they say they won't release a new one then they do the opposite of what I would want
  • Nintendo Announces a New, Bigger 3DS. Meet the 3DS XL.
    Jesus Nintendo, way to be consistent.
    Wow they say they won't release a new one then they do the opposite of what I would want