This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• I want a 360 just to play Fez pretty much ._. But even the price for the 4GB is too much for that.
  • I want a 360 just to play Fez pretty much ._. But even the price for the 4GB is too much for that.
    Have you tried looking for a used one? I got my 360 mad cheap from friend.

• edited May 2012
    The problem with downloadables is when you move that xbox onto a friend, all the games are gone so it's worth a lot less.

But you're supporting the developer, and that's what counts.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    Have you tried looking for a used one? I got my 360 mad cheap from friend.
    Yeah, I should look around. I actually have an account with a bunch of games on it from when I borrowed my friend's Xbox for six months anyway.
  • Games are playable by anyone on the Xbox they are purchased on.
  • This I know, but I'm assuming whoever it is will be taking their account off.
  • edited May 2012
    Even if they remove their account the game will still work for anyone who plays it on that xbox.

I have two xboxes at home and always buy content on one and play it on the the other. This is a huge money saver for MP games because I buy it once but use it on both! Only bad part is that only I can use the content on the second xbox.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I think there may be a limit to how many consoles it can be on, although I am not sure about that. I know Sony now limits it to 2, although they used to limit it to 5.
  • It's linked to your GamerTag. You have to be signed logged on to XBL to play a game. You can download it on any xbox you want, but only the box you purchase it on will be allowed to play offline.
  • Orion: Dino Beatdown looks amazing but apparently it is really buggy.
  • Orion: Dino Beatdown looks amazing but apparently it is really buggy.
    I was tempted as well, but there's also some controversy going on with the designer not paying employees and stealing assets (including stealing from Natural Selection 2!!!). I'll be steering clear. Not like I don't have enough games to play already...
  • NPR article about EA: Game Giant Forced To Play Catch Up. Interesting listen. It has a few points that several people have pointed out before.

Overall, I just find it funny that they are finally realizing it. I never really played many EA games. I am interested in what they are doing since they purchased Pop Cap games. Why hasn't Pop Cap released more titles? I play the ever living fuck out of Plants vs. Zombies whenever I just want to wind down in bed.
  • NPR article about EA: Game Giant Forced To Play Catch Up. Interesting listen. It has a few points that several people have pointed out before.

Overall, I just find it funny that they are finally realizing it. I never really played many EA games. I am interested in what they are doing since they purchased Pop Cap games. Why hasn't Pop Cap released more titles? I play the ever living fuck out of Plants vs. Zombies whenever I just want to wind down in bed.
    I would buy Plants vs Zombies 2 the second it is released if they ever make it.

I would buy Plants vs Zombies 2 the second it is released if they ever make it.
    Yeah, I guess I would as well.
  • Is anyone else interested in Mech Warrior Online? I like mech games and it being free to play means I'll at least give it a shot.

http://mwomercs.com/
  • Federated Commonwealth ftw.
  • Clan Ghost Bear. We're just chillin.
  • Aperture Science buys Black Mesa.
    Anyway, Hidden URL in the page source.
    So it ain't anywhere near official, but the guy they got to mimic Cave Johnson is incredible.
  • Isn't Valve supporting the Black Mesa project, though?
  • edited May 2012
    It's a fan project, but it doesn't look like Valve is stopping them.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Is it even possible? Wasn't Cave Johnson already dead by the time of the Black Mesa incident?
  • Aperture Science buys Black Mesa.
    Anyway, Hidden URL in the page source.
    So it ain't anywhere near official, but the guy they got to mimic Cave Johnson is incredible.
    The audio is from the Portal 2 DLC.
  • edited May 2012
    http://www.gamespot.com/features/has-the-diablo-franchise-stalled-6375381/

How can you basically say polish is equal to innovation? That doesn't make sense at all.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • http://www.gamespot.com/features/has-the-diablo-franchise-stalled-6375381/

How can you basically say polish is equal to innovation? That doesn't make sense at all.
    A new kind of polish that hasn't existed before.

• I was also arguing with my friend yesterday on this point. He contended that Warcraft 3, WoW, Starcraft, and Diablo 2 were innovative games since we were on the subject of Blizzard. I was trying to point out how they are almost all the same game and if anything the first Diablo was the only real innovative game.
  • Most people dislike semantic arguments, but simultaneously neither understand semantics nor the ramifications of the definitions of their terms.

Most people also incorrectly conflate concepts due to their misunderstandings, and refuse to correct said misunderstandings due to their avoidance of semantic arguments.

Thus, in this case, people commonly conflate "innovative" with "good." This is a ludicrous conflation. Innovative means innovative, and good means good. They're mutually independent axis. Due to this conflation, they will take issue with anyone else saying a game isn't innovative, because they wrongly assume you're implying that it isn't good.

The moral?

If someone's wrong due to a semantic misunderstanding, and they refuse to discuss semantics, write them off. ;^)
  • edited May 2012

Thus, in this case, people commonly conflate "innovative" with "good." This is a ludicrous conflation. Innovative means innovative, and good means good. They're mutually independent axis. Due to this conflation, they will take issue with anyone else saying a game isn't innovative, because they wrongly assume you're implying that it isn't good.
    Innovation is subjective, and by definition I suppose he was right. But it depends on what aspects of a product you choose to look at when deciding if something is innovative. Because by definition a lot of products could be considered innovative. I mean WoW could be considered innovative over, say, Everquest since it was one of the first MMOs where you could solo the entire game. He was also arguing that it was the first to do PvP in a MMO, which I doubt is true but I don't know much about the history of the MMO.

I dunno, you could say incremental change is innovation because it is, but it depends on the subjective interpretation of how much improvement truly warrants the term "innovative".
    Post edited by MATATAT on
    something new or different introduced: numerous innovations in the high-school curriculum.
    the act of innovating; introduction of new things or methods.
    Does the game do something new that has not been done before? This is an objectively answerable question. Invention is when you make an entire thing that is new. Innovation is when you modify an existing invention with new techniques or methods.

For example, you might invent the first person shooter, as did Id software. Then someone else might invent the RPG, as did Gary Gygax. Then someone might innovate by making an RPG FPS. They didn't invent anything actually new, but the combination of those two things is new.

Corning invents Gorilla Glass, invention. Apple uses Gorilla Glass for a mobile phone touch screen for the first time, innovation. Corning comes out with Gorilla Glass 2.0 that is even stronger, that's also innovation.

Nothing subjective whatsoever. What does Diablo III do that is new and has not been done before?
  • edited May 2012
    Does the game do something new that has not been done before? This is an objectively answerable question. Invention is when you make an entire thing that is new. Innovation is when you modify an existing invention with new techniques or methods.
    That depends on how fine a level of detail you go into when comparing things.
    On one level, no game since the first game is innovative because they're all just games.
    On another level, every single game is innovative because it is distinguishable from all other games and therefore there must be something different to it.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on