This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• If you care about backwards compatibility you already have a PS3 to play your PS3 game.
  • You know. I just had a different thinking about backwards compatibility.

If you care about backwards compatibility it means you had the old console. You don't care if GameCube games work on WiiU if you never had a GameCube. If you did have a GameCube, the only benefit is you can now get rid of your GameCube. Solution, keep the GameCube.

Oh no, more boxes under the TV? Get an HTPC and emulate that shit.
  • You know. I just had a different thinking about backwards compatibility.

If you care about backwards compatibility it means you had the old console. You don't care if GameCube games work on WiiU if you never had a GameCube. If you did have a GameCube, the only benefit is you can now get rid of your GameCube. Solution, keep the GameCube.

I'd say that there are also people who had the other console of the generation and missed, but heard about all the cool games on that console they didn't have. I never owned GameCube, Wii or PS3 and all of those have games I'd like to play. (Good thing I can emulate two things out of that three).

• edited February 2013
    You know. I just had a different thinking about backwards compatibility.

I'd say that there are also people who had the other console of the generation and missed, but heard about all the cool games on that console they didn't have. I never owned GameCube, Wii or PS3 and all of those have games I'd like to play. (Good thing I can emulate two things out of that three).

Old consoles are cheap until they become rare classics! If you can afford new ones, you can afford old ones. Alternatively - have patience and wait for them to be emulateable.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Old consoles are cheap until they become rare classics! If you can afford new ones, you can afford old ones. Alternatively - have patience and wait for them to be emulateable.
    But let's imagine a situation where I had some extra cash ready for PS4 and there would be some really interesting games coming out on that, like I know I want that console at some point. Now if PS4 would have backwards compatibility with PS3 games it would mean that I could strike two birds with one wallet, get new shiny console and have means to play all the PS3 games I skipped.

Of course personally I'll just wait until I can find and get used PS3 for under 100€ and then maybe repeat the process with next gen. I'm not in too much hurry.

• The solution is to be a PC gamer.
  • The solution is to be a PC gamer.
    Seems to be the best option.

• Yeah I should switch to PC gaming because I really love driver incompatibilities and monitoring my heat levels GAHAHAH not, as if, puhhhhlease. Smell ya later
  • Yeah I should switch to PC gaming because I really love driver incompatibilities and monitoring my heat levels GAHAHAH not, as if, puhhhhlease. Smell ya later
    If you're not smart enough to get a PC to work, which doesn't require any of that nonsense if you don't stupidly overclock, then we don't want you on PC ruining our games.
  • I might not be a smart man, but I know what gameing is.
  • edited February 2013
    Consoles will still be the best option for people who:
    1. Are just getting something for their daughter, son, niece, nephew, grandchildren
    2. People who did not grow up with technology and just want to play some games
    3. People who don't that much of a fuck about gaming
    4. There is still a decent amount of exclusive content
    etc...
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • EB games in Australia is already taking pre-orders. Hundred dollar deposit, with a listed price of $900, pending further information. But, I don't think it's unrealistic, considering the PS3 was a thousand bucks when it came out.
  • edited February 2013

It needed to be brought back
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • edited February 2013
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • edited February 2013
    Wow, that's really a pretty accurate video.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited February 2013
    Yeah I should switch to PC gaming because I really love driver incompatibilities and monitoring my heat levels GAHAHAH not, as if, puhhhhlease. Smell ya later
    If you're not smart enough to get a PC to work, which doesn't require any of that nonsense if you don't stupidly overclock, then we don't want you on PC ruining our games.
    What was that? Overheating? We can buy a bigger heatsync and some new thermal paste, but you guys need to return the whole unit.

Also, cleaning out PC dust is waaayy easier, backwards comparability for consoles that weren't even PC based.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I might not be a smart man, but I know what gameing is.
  • 1UP, GameSpy and UGO are shutting down.
  • 1UP, GameSpy and UGO are shutting down.
    What does this mean for the part of Gamespy that makes Borderlands shitty online multiplayer work?

• Scott just has a grudge because no one will play with him.
  • edited February 2013
    1UP, GameSpy and UGO are shutting down.
    What does this mean for the part of Gamespy that makes Borderlands shitty online multiplayer work?
    That's exactly what I was wondering.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited February 2013
    Gamespy is a subsidary of IGN, so they'll probably take the reins. Although I think Gamespy is mostly a news site now so there may be no one employed by gamespy even maintaining the tech.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Gamespy tech has been gone for a while...
  • I'm not sure many games use it these days but it's still alive. There was some recent issues with it in December from all these news articles I've been finding.
  • I used to like 1UP's content, then IGN purchased them.
  • 1UP is a big loss. They completely scrapped their editorial process about 6 months ago and went with a weekly "cover story" topic, writing a few deep, well-thought-out pieces about that topic each day. Really dug it, and they had some good writers on staff. Now it's gone, oh well.
  • edited February 2013
    I used to like 1UP's content, then IGN purchased them.
    The 1UP / EGM / GFWL era from 2005 - 2008ish was great. Then they started getting tossed around like a hot potato, losing editors with every toss and turned into unfiltered blog trash.

If they cleaned up their act recently it's sad they're gone but they lost me years ago.

Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • The Golden Age of 1UP was rather amazing in retrospect, considering the talent they had on board at the time.
  • Yeah the recent content was good but the golden age was definitely several years back. They really rocked it on the podcast front too. At this point, I'm only reading Polygon for news since they have the all-star team. For deeper analysis, it's PAR, Gamasutra, and Wired's Game|Life blog.
  • Yeah the recent content was good but the golden age was definitely several years back. They really rocked it on the podcast front too. At this point, I'm only reading Polygon for news since they have the all-star team. For deeper analysis, it's PAR, Gamasutra, and Wired's Game|Life blog.
    You forgot The Verge, that is crushing everyone.