This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Verge = Polygon. Verge still writes a few game news posts here and there but they split off Polygon as their sister site. All happened around last summer, when they went and basically hired the A-team from everyone else's sites to create the Polygon staff.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Yeah, for me it's mostly just The Verge and Polygon at the moment.
  • Verge = Polygon. Verge still writes a few game news posts here and there but they split off Polygon as their sister site. All happened around last summer, when they went and basically hired the A-team from everyone else's sites to create the Polygon staff.
    Oh, I guess I've been going to the wrong place.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming
  • I recently turned on my Sandisk Clip+ that I had the whole run of GFW Radio on and even now that podcast is fantastic listening material. I think most of the good 1up podcasts are on archive.org now, but I'll go and check later.
  • Eurogamer / Rock Paper Shotgun are basically the same place, but they're pretty good for news as well.

AltDevBlogADay is pretty interesting (sort of a wonkier GamaSutra).

Critical Distance has a good roundup of New Games Journalism type stuff that you might find interesting occasionally.
  • Verge = Polygon. Verge still writes a few game news posts here and there but they split off Polygon as their sister site. All happened around last summer, when they went and basically hired the A-team from everyone else's sites to create the Polygon staff.
    Oh, I guess I've been going to the wrong place.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming
    The Verge still covers some gaming news/culture stuff, since they have a pretty big wheelhouse of things they cover, (which is basically whatever they want to cover.) But Polygon has a lot more news, and more in-depth features. Polygon has also started to do some really great video features lately.

However I'm a little biased since I work for Polygon.
  • However I'm a little biased since I work for Polygon.
    Consider it added to my Google News.
  • RPS is pretty much the only gaming site I even bother with these days.
  • RPS is pretty much the only gaming site I even bother with these days.
    Also good.
  • As much as I already said that I don't like the separation of the d-pad buttons on PlayStation controllers, the PS4 controller looks to have better buttons, though they are still separated. Judging based solely on pictures.
  • As much as I already said that I don't like the separation of the d-pad buttons on PlayStation controllers, the PS4 controller looks to have better buttons, though they are still separated. Judging based solely on pictures.
    Judging the PS4 controller just form the pictures it seems fine, but so much about controller is in the feel so without hands on experience it's impossible to judge.

Judging the PS4 controller just form the pictures it seems fine, but so much about controller is in the feel so without hands on experience it's impossible to judge.

Nothing is impossible for Apreche to judge.
  • Nothing is impossible for Apreche to judge.
    Now I just want to see Scott Vs Judge Judy.

• The earlier leak of the controller had a cooler d-pad imo: image
  • Nothing is impossible for Apreche to judge.
    Now I just want to see Scott Vs Judge Judy.

They would just have sex. That would be all.
  • The earlier leak of the controller had a cooler d-pad imo: image
    I am agree.

• I like that the PS4 is x86 based. It means that someone will invariably get it booting linux or windows and then leverage its power for cool things.
  • Or being able to ship to PS3 without any recompiling too much from the PC version.

Leave the PC settings menu in there.. doo eeet..
  • I like that the PS4 is x86 based. It means that someone will invariably get it booting linux or windows and then leverage its power for cool things.
    I like that the PS4 is x86 based. It means that someone will invariably get it booting linux or windows and then leverage its power for cool things.
    They got Linux on the PS3 until Sony disabled that feature, so the PS4 should be a cakewalk
  • Considering the disaster that was the launch of Sim City, particularly with the Diablo III launch just months earlier going the same terrible rout, why the fuck do publishers insist on persistent internet connections?
  • why the fuck do publishers insist on persistent internet connections?
    They believe it will lead to less piracy and greater profits?

Oh, and people will buy their games no matter what so why should they care for what the customer wants?

• RymRym
    edited March 2013
    Piracy is the red herring. This type of DRM now exists to:

1. Allow monetization of things that were once single-player community mods

2. Allow "social" factors to be controlled and integrated (e.g., no cheating locally for the leaderboards).

3. Further push DLC monetization

They want players to be able to buy things for their game, and they want them to spam their friends with updates to keep everyone playing. They want control over the end-user experience. Notice how the servers don't just allow you to play: they actively track your local game state! (Why else would disabling "Cheetah" mode be a possible solution for their load issues)?

Piracy has nothing to do with what happened to Sim City. Turning it into a pseudo MMO and being able to monetize accordingly did.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Yep. The same goes for the Simpsons Touch! game. Why does it not work unless online? Other touching non-games like Dungeon Village and Game Dev Story don't have to be always online. The only reason is so they can force updates on you and charge you real money for doughnuts. If it were an offline game, I could easily give myself all the doughnuts I wanted by just editing the save file.
  • It's getting to be the point where the only non-douchebag publishers are there are the indies. I may as well stick to playing old DOS and emulated games if I want to play anything by a major publisher at this point.
  • edited March 2013
    EA has been making worse and worse decisions since... always. Pay to unlock everything in the game... okay. Pay to get coins to play incredibly hard unlockable courses...I don't think so. Be always online so we can butt fuck you... nah.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • EA has become the classic example of getting too big going to their head. I remember when they were a much smaller shop in the 80's and early 90's, put out some really innovative games (Starflight comes to mind, among others), and even had a healthy productivity software portfolio as well (Deluxe Paint II was the paint program of choice for game artists back in the day). Then Madden on consoles happened and helped them balloon to the insame behemoth they are now.
  • I'm just upset that devs agree to have them as a producer. Because occasionally they come out with good games that turn into a crazy cash grab.
  • EA has been making worse and worse decisions since... always. Pay to unlock everything in the game... okay. Pay to get coins to play incredibly hard unlockable courses...I don't think so. Be always online so we can butt fuck you... nah.
    They always break the number one rule - Namely, that "You must be online for play" cuts both ways.
  • It's getting really hard to understand why companies keep fucking this up. Everyone predicts this every time, and the company never has enough server capacity. And why has it taken them so long to get more? They are mega rich. They can just get a bunch of servers instantly from Amazon, if not elsewhere, and install their server software on it. DONE. It should take them no more than an hour to do this.
  • I honestly don't think the publishers care. Players buy their games even when they have proven that time and time again they will screw this up. They have little to no incentive to behave otherwise.