This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• Looks like that MLP fighting game won't be released
    Hello, everyone.

We have what for most will be bad news, for us are terrible news, and for a selected few might actually be good news.

We have received a C&D letter from Hasbro's Legal representatives, asking us to cease game development, remove any materials that might contain My Little Pony characters, names, locations or related elements from the sites we control (Our site, our youtube, our twitch), and "cease any further use of [their] MY LITTLE PONY property".

Options have been considered, lawyers have been contacted, and resources have been (mostly) exhausted.

We have attempted negotiating with Hasbro for the continued use of the property in our non-profit, voluntary project, but so far we haven't received an answer. As such, we're complying with the contents of the C&D letter until we receive answer from their PR and/or Legal departments.

We also want to inform the general public of the final and irrevocable resignation of James Workman (Elosande) from the Mane6 DevTeam, effective February 6, 2013, as well as reminding of the final and irrevocable resignation of Prominence, effective January 30, 2012. The Mane6 DevTeam no longer represents their interest, nor do they represent ours.

We'll keep everyone posted as the situation evolves, but be aware we might not be able to respond to comments and questions due to the delicate nature of the situation.
    Thanks for following our project so far.
  • lol did anyone expect that to work?
  • I don't think anyone expected it happen initially but they actually made a lot of progress on it.
  • Welcome to last week's news.
  • Welcome to last week's news.
    It's as glorious here as I thought it would be.
  • edited February 2013
    It's kind of amazing to me when people go to so much effort to create elaborate, semi-high profile works based off of properties owned by huge companies and not consider the fact that there are going to be some serious legal repercussions for doing so?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • It's kind of amazing to me when people go to so much effort to create elaborate, semi-high profile works based off of properties owned by huge companies and not consider the fact that there are going to be some serious legal repercussions for doing so?
    It's amazing to me that these people quit because they do not understand technology.

Here's how you do it. First you make a Mickey Mouse cartoon. It's perfectly legal to make your own such cartoon for private use without distributing it or commercializing it. Hell, put your name on it as well. Even work on it with other people over the Internet. Just don't ever publish it or declare intent to distribute it. If anyone ever challenges you, you say that you are making it for fun, and have no plans to give it to anybody.

Then when it is finished you anonymously encryptedly bittorrent it and plausibly deny that you had anything to do with it. It could have been someone stole it from your computer. It could have been one of the other people who worked on it. But now it's out there, and the rest of the world can share it. The people who made it had nothing to do with it.
  • It's amazing to me that these people quit because they do not understand technology.

Here's how you do it. First you make a Mickey Mouse cartoon. It's perfectly legal to make your own such cartoon for private use without distributing it or commercializing it. Hell, put your name on it as well. Even work on it with other people over the Internet. Just don't ever publish it or declare intent to distribute it. If anyone ever challenges you, you say that you are making it for fun, and have no plans to give it to anybody.

Then when it is finished you anonymously encryptedly bittorrent it and plausibly deny that you had anything to do with it. It could have been someone stole it from your computer. It could have been one of the other people who worked on it. But now it's out there, and the rest of the world can share it. The people who made it had nothing to do with it.
    The problem is that the law doesn't understand technology either. Even if you do what you say, there's still a chance that you'd have an incredibly expensive legal case ahead of you in order to prove that you had nothing to do with the distribution, etc.
  • I think your plausible deniability has to be a damn sight better than that to attempt perjury.
  • Ok. So make your game in secret. Then one day it appears on Bittorrent with no credits on it.
  • I'm with Apreche in-so-far as you can do whatever sort of fan-work you want behind closed doors and get away with it leaking out after the fact (assuming you're not making money off it). It's sort of an "ask forgiveness, not permission" thing at that point. They can come after you for all of no monies at that point, but there's really not much that can be done to make a product like that disappear forever from the internet.
  • Currently watching Sony's Playstation Meeting on Giant Bomb. This thing has some sweet features and some pretty decent hardware.
  • Currently watching Sony's Playstation Meeting on Giant Bomb. This thing has some sweet features and some pretty decent hardware.
    There is live commentary of the event going on in the Geeknights irc channel.

There are people in the GeekNights IRC channel?!

Yes? Like normally.

Yes? Like normally.
    It typically idles with bursts of activity.
  • The PlayStation 4 announcement seemed pretty solid to me. The features of the console seem good, the social stuff they are doing seems cool, and we got a good sense of what the games are going to be like. I would have liked to have seen the console itself, and get a price, but I imagine we'll get them both at E3. But overall it set a solid foundation for how it's different from this generation, and what will likely set it apart.
  • On the other hand, it is manufactured by Sony.
  • It also bears mentioning that the PS4 is literally a PC in a console box.
  • Also, the PS4 has no backwards compatibility, which is another great Sony-style "Fuck You" to its existing customer base.
  • Ugh. Sony didn't say much of anything that I can call out as being awful. It's more about what they didn't say. This wouldn't be a problem for most announcements, but Sony is a sinking ship that needed to be up front with their audience.

They have such a history with exaggerations, lies, and bad decisions in their announcements that we all must assume this will be a $600 box and all the nice features will have fine print and limitations.

The system itself, on what little we know, looks like a decent product. The marketing was awful when they badly need it to be great.
  • I thought that most of the tweets I was seeing were jokes. Its strange but I have pretty much zero interest in the next gen of consols. I did like the one about how Sony was going to introduce a service that would allow you to buy your old game so you could play them.
  • Well that's pretty much Virtual Console right there. The Sony plan is to not let you have backwards-compatible disc play, but to have access to the PS library through their Gaikai game streaming service (at what cost? we'll see.)
  • edited February 2013
    Also, the PS4 has no backwards compatibility, which is another great Sony-style "Fuck You" to its existing customer base.
    Meh, this is what all console makers have pretty much always done since day 1. The PS2 was the first console on the market to offer out of the box backwards compatibility. The SNES didn't have any backwards compatibility with the NES, if I recall, and the Sega Genesis only had Sega Master System backwards compatibility via a $30 or so add-on. Most of their later systems (Nintendo 64, Game Cube, Saturn, Dreamcast) didn't have backwards compatibility either.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • I loved the fuck out of that $30 Sega Genesis add-on as a kid. I lived in a strange Sega Master System household.
  • edited February 2013
    The Wii, 360 and most of the Gameboys had some backwards compatibility as well.
    Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • I loved the fuck out of that $30 Sega Genesis add-on as a kid. I lived in a strange Sega Master System household.
    Nothing wrong with that. :) Still, even then it was a unique product for the time and it only worked because the Genesis used a Z80 chip, the same one the Master System used for its CPU, as its sound co-processor.
    The Wii, 360 and most of the Gameboys had some backwards compatibility as well.
    Yes, and they pretty much all came out after the PS2 as well, except for maybe the GBA as I'm not sure when it came out. The prior Gameboys don't count as they were all just updated revs of the original hardware, including the GB Color.
  • The PS3 is the sickest and best gaming machine, and the PS4 will usurp this most likely.
  • edited February 2013
    Also, the PS4 has no backwards compatibility, which is another great Sony-style "Fuck You" to its existing customer base.

The Only Only Correct Opinion on Backwards Compatibility

The amount of people who care enough about backwards compatibility that it will affect their decision to buy is far too low to justify implementing it properly. Half-assed software emulation which results in shitty backward compatibility will only ever generate bad press.

Sony is smart to leave it out and to just ignore the tiny demographic it annoys because it is better than having a feature that generates bad press built into the console.

If you disagree, enjoy being wrong.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on