This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• FWIW, if you want to get a non-broken, good Simcity, just get Simcity 2000 for either Windows or Mac for $6 or so. :)
  • I honestly don't think the publishers care. Players buy their games even when they have proven that time and time again they will screw this up. They have little to no incentive to behave otherwise.
    Not to mention if things do work out, the results are astronomical. Case in point: World of Warcraft. They're trying to take the DRM that people understand is necessary for a persistent online multiplayer experience and translate it into an established franchise. Yeah, for gamers it's a painful period of trial and error, but eventually someone will get it right and make a mountain of money. Just like how they eventually figured out how to make a profit off of DLC, mobile apps, and pre-purchaes (among plenty of others).
  • FWIW, if you want to get a non-broken, good Simcity, just get Simcity 2000 for either Windows or Mac for $6 or so. :)
    http://www.gog.com/gamecard/simcity_2000_special_edition
  • Microsoft has just killed off Family Gold pack.

I used that because I have three xboxes in my house and well... now I will not be renewing any of the accounts. We will do our gaming via system link and use other devices for media consumption. Because, Microsoft requires Gold just to use apps for services you already pay for!
  • What in your estimate is the maximum lifespan of an online multiplayer game?
    Some numbers to consider: Counter-Strike is almost 14 years old.
    Team Fortress 2 is almost 6 years old.
    World of Warcraft is almost 9 years old.
    When will these games die?

Also, do you consider Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike: Source, and Counter-Strike Global Offensive the same game here?
  • WoW is almost 9 years old but I can assure you, people are still playing other older Blizzard games online.
  • WoW is almost 9 years old but I can assure you, people are still playing other older Blizzard games online.
    I am aware. I just used those 3 games as an example because I believe they are the three most popular ones and thus the probably the last to die. Those older Blizzard games will probably die off with its userbase as I don't think they have much growth. On the other hand those 3 games are popular today and they still get new users who play these games for the first time these days.
  • The next Blizzard MMO will be the one that kills. That assumes no Valve MMO and no Pokemon MMO.
  • Everyone always lauds SimCity 2k and 4, but I think 3k is the best in the series...
  • I always liked OG SimCity over 2k.
  • The next Blizzard MMO will be the one that kills. That assumes no Valve MMO and no Pokemon MMO.
    There will be no WoW killer ever. Not in the sense that it would make people who play WoW to run in herds to this new game. WoW's core playerbase will play the game until they just get bored of it and stop on their own, or until the servers are finally shut down in far far future.

Why would someone who has invested years into WoW move to something else that's kinda the same thing. Where they would have to start from scratch again, learn all the new rules of the new game, find new guild and new people to play with.

There will be no WoW killer ever. Not in the sense that it would make people who play WoW to run in herds to this new game. WoW's core playerbase will play the game until they just get bored of it and stop on their own, or until the servers are finally shut down in far far future.

Why would someone who has invested years into WoW move to something else that's kinda the same thing. Where they would have to start from scratch again, learn all the new rules of the new game, find new guild and new people to play with.

I mean WoW killer in the sense that there will be another MMO that will achieve a ginormous player base the likes of which has only been seen in works of fiction such as Summer Wars.
  • Everyone always lauds SimCity 2k and 4, but I think 3k is the best in the series...
    I'll be over here playing SimFarm. Cow tornadoes for life.

• I'll be over here playing SimFarm. Cow tornadoes for life.
    Oh, I mean if we are going to be talking about any game in the Sim franchise, SimTower is #1, hands down.

• Sim Ant always engaged me the most. Suicide dive the red queen every time or GTFO.
  • I've seen many people talk trash on SimTower, but I am right there with you buddy. I can't say for sure what I spent more time on in my life, SimCity 2000 or SimTower, but I loved them both. Farm was a close 3rd.
  • I don't consider SimTower to count. The other games, AFAIK, were created by MAXIS. Sim Tower was a Japanese game called "the tower" that they bought, translated, and rebranded.
  • I don't think I ever actually finished Sim Tower (as in filled all available space).
  • I'm sorry, but I'm over her playing SimEarth, and Me and my race of sentient, tool-using starfish are too busy being awesome to play your silly little ants and towers games.
  • I don't consider SimTower to count. The other games, AFAIK, were created by MAXIS. Sim Tower was a Japanese game called "the tower" that they bought, translated, and rebranded.
    I know about Tower's Japanese past, but I still count it in my mind b/c I enjoyed it in the exact same way I enjoyed many other Sim games. It feels like part of the family to me. I've also never played any other series like the Tycoon games, so there's nothing else to lump it in with.

I know about Tower's Japanese past, but I still count it in my mind b/c I enjoyed it in the exact same way I enjoyed many other Sim games. It feels like part of the family to me. I've also never played any other series like the Tycoon games, so there's nothing else to lump it in with.
    You are the kind of awful person who still watches Robotech after learning the truth.
  • You are the kind of awful person who still watches Robotech after learning the truth.
    Eh, it's not that bad.
  • Haha well there's an overblown analogy if I ever heard one. To each their own :)
  • I'm the weird kind of person who saw Macross (in the form of DYRL) before I saw Robotech.
  • I don't even remember how I got SimTower, I just remember spending hours upon hours manually reducing the price on every condo/office so people would move back in.

Why the hell did I like that game.
  • A modern remake of The Tower that was an actual simulation, unlike bullshity Tiny Tower, would be really nice. Imagine if it were as fancy as the new Sim City without the online nonsense.
  • Except that towers are super boring in realistic simulation.
  • Except that towers are super boring in realistic simulation.
    Sim Arcology.
  • Sim Maxxis. It's a game about making successful Sim-series games.
  • Sim Maxxis. It's a game about making successful Sim-series games.
    Segagaga